Thread: Shrine Game prospects

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Shrine Game prospects

Torell Troup/DT/Central Florida: Troop had a home field advantage playing in Central Florida's backyard and he took advantage of it. He showed outstanding quickness and explosion every day, easily beating opponents off the snap then quickly changing direction to chase the action. Our pick in Round 3?

Alterraun Verner/CB/UCLA: Verner was the best looking defensive back of the week and looked very natural on the field. He regularly shut down opponents every day and displayed top ball skills. His 40 time at the combine will be critical, but many scouts already grade Verner as a top-60 selection based on his play this week. Round 2?

Pat Paschall/RB/North Dakota State: Paschall was the top small-school prospect on the field during the week and one of the best ball carriers. He's a smooth back with a gliding style, but also displays plenty of toughness when running inside. More than anything else Paschall proved all week he belonged on the field with players from bigger schools. Round 5?

Read More: [url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/01/22/shrine/#ixzz0daKK2mQg"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/f ... z0daKK2mQg[/url]
    Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Shrine Game prospects

I think Troup will be a consideration.

I think Verner is being overrated. I don't think he is even among the top 10 CB prospects in this draft. That would not be a good use of the 2nd round pick.

Don't know anything about the North Dakota State kid.

I think you'll see better talent this weekend at the Senior Bowl than you saw last weekend at the East-West Shrine game.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Just watched the game. Liked what I saw out of S-Van Eskgridge-ECU looks like a prototypical big strong safety. Liked the Paschle kid. Also thought the LB from Wisonsin-Schofield looked like he would make a great Steeler OLB.

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought the best NFL prospect out there was the TE from BYU, Dennis Pitta but he'll most likely go in a higher round than we want to draft a TE in.

I also liked the Schofield kid from Wisconsin, he looks like one of those perfect Steelers 3-4 OLB projects....maybe if he's still available on the 3rd day (sounds weird, huh?)
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

shelley Smith G Col St impressed me (but I was watching the lines quite a bit). We don't need another G though.

Troup was good in the game, but really didn't dominate and was often moved out by the double team pretty easily. He could develop, but he may not be ready to contribute much as a rookie.

Quarless and Pitta looked good though neither impressed me as a blocker. Quarless had a nice tackle on punt coverage too.

Verner apparently had a great week of practice. He made a few plays in the game, but he was also beat quite a bit. He plays very small and looks scrawny. I don't think he'll ever be an effective starter.

Greg Hardy was impressive. He wasn't always going 100%, but he is getting over an injury. He looks huge and has good strength and lean as a pass rusher. He probably is too light for a 3-4 DE, but I think he could play and be effective with just 5 or so more pounds of weight. He'd be great in a rotation (esp against pass first teams). He needs work against the run.

Schofield is an interesting cat. He made a lot of mistakes, but the potential is there. At Wisconsin he relied too much on his speed and would need to power pass rush moves to avoid leaving his side exposed to draws and screens.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    Just watched the game. Liked what I saw out of S-Van Eskgridge-ECU looks like a prototypical big strong safety. Liked the Paschle kid. Also thought the LB from Wisonsin-Schofield looked like he would make a great Steeler OLB.

Bummer....January 26

(12:01 AM): Knee sidelines Badger DE ... The great fear of all players at any all-star game is injury and that threat became a reality for Wisconsin DE O'Brien Schofield who reportedly tore an ACL at this afternoon's inital Senior Bowl practice. Schofield was battling huge UMass OT Vlad Ducasse in a one-on-one pass rush drill when he stepped awkwardly with the full weight of the 325-pound offenive lineman leaning on him. Schofield will undergo surgery in the next few days and his availability to play at all next season is very much in question.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Maybe we can use one of those 5th round comp picks on him and get him cheap.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    Maybe we can use one of those 5th round comp picks on him and get him cheap.
    That would be wise. It will take him a while to learn the position anyway.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.