Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colon: Steelers lacked an identity

Legend

User Info Menu

Colon: Steelers lacked an identity

Colon: Steelers lacked an identity
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 23, 2010 8:52 PM ET
    [url="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/23/colon-steelers-lacked-an-identity/"]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -identity/[/url]

Add another voice to the chorus singing that Pittsburgh needs to get back to "Steeler football."

Right tackle Willie Colon says he bit his tongue during the season, but made it clear he was uneasy with the direction of the team's offense.

"We haven't had an identity," Colon to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "We'll throw the ball really well, and then there will be some games where we run the ball really well. Being committed to the run will help us manage the game better.''

We'd argue that late game defensive collapses and terrible special teams play were equally important factors in Pittsburgh's 9-7 record. But Colon says the Steelers didn't play to their linemen's strengths.

"We have the ability to pass block -- we have athletic guys that can get it done,'' said Colon. "[But] when you look at the mind-set of a lot of our guys, running the ball probably is our suit. We have a bunch of guys that love to get after it.''

Colon has allies in coach Mike Tomlin and team president Art Rooney II.

"I think Mike and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to," Rooney said last week.

Now it's up to offensive coordinator Bruce Arians to deliver.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Colon: Steelers lacked an identity

Never going to happen...

The only people who want the Steelers to be able to run the ball well are the fans, owners, coaches, and players.

This is, after all, a passing league now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe Bruce Arians can do some research on the internet and see if he can find a couple of running plays that work on 3rd and 1
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

We don't lack identity... We just switched our identity and the OL hasn't adjusted. I understand their big azzzez want to run more... but it would be nice if they executed on the short yardage and when we are up by 10. I'll take consistency over identity any day. Hopefully the new OL coach fixes this problem.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    We don't lack identity... We just switched our identity and the OL hasn't adjusted. I understand their big azzzez want to run more... but it would be nice if they executed on the short yardage and when we are up by 10. I'll take consistency over identity any day. Hopefully the new OL coach fixes this problem.
    Identity and consistency are pretty much the same thing. You get an identity when you're consistent on offense. The Steelers' offense was never consistent enough in either phase of offense to establish an identity.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

It'll be interesting to see what this new-found desire to be a running team will mean in regards to the draft & FA.

With Parker likely gone, and no RB on the roster, there could be AT LEAST 2 new additions at RB this off season...just where will they come from?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    It'll be interesting to see what this new-found desire to be a running team will mean in regards to the draft & FA.

With Parker likely gone, and no RB on the roster, there could be AT LEAST 2 new additions at RB this off season...just where will they come from?
    Rounds 4-7 or UDFA any sooner than that and Steeler games will look like arena football. No defense and a lot of scoring.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman

We do have Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore, I think we may draft a RB in the later rounds to compete with Frank Summers, Isaac Redman and Justin Vincent.

Question is, will we be adding a FB or does Bruce Arians still not believe in one?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Horse crap.

I still think it's lack of conditioning on both sides of football.

They were mentally and physically tired all season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nothing from Summers, Redman or Vincent has convinced Chadman they are viable options if Mendy gets hurt.

A FA pick-up is a good option to play #2, and Chadman likes Toby Gerhart from Stanford to play the "Mike Alstott" role- FB & Short Yardage.

If the Steelers grabbed Gerhart in, say Round 4, then Chadman would love the Steelers to use one of their 'extra' picks (compensatory- whenever they may be) on LeMarkus Coker from Hampton. Former Tenn RB that got punted for drug related issues, but turned his life around at Hampton. It's rumoured he'll run a sub 4.3 at the combine- that puts him in Chris Johnson territory.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE