Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers Free Agent Decisions: Casey Hampton

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Re: Steelers Free Agent Decisions: Casey Hampton

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Great points by Chadman and Mister P. I read MP first and agree on the money situation but doesn't the uncapped season give us more room? I'm asking, I have no idea.

I'm leaning towards Chadman though.. one of the main requirements of an NT is weight. I have yet to see his weight hurt his game. He is the number #1 NT in the league. We have seen what losing a dominant lineman does to a team. He is worth it.
    I just don't agree with signing old players just because we don't have replacements. Hampton missed most the season 2 years ago and Hoke played fine. Signing these old dudes is not the way to go unless they are VERY Steelers friendly deals.

Colbert needs to pick up his prospect evaluation because his crappy drafts over the past half dozen years is why we have nobody being groomed behind these guys.
    @_Hellgrammite

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Great points by Chadman and Mister P. I read MP first and agree on the money situation but doesn't the uncapped season give us more room? I'm asking, I have no idea.

I'm leaning towards Chadman though.. one of the main requirements of an NT is weight. I have yet to see his weight hurt his game. He is the number #1 NT in the league. We have seen what losing a dominant lineman does to a team. He is worth it.
    I just don't agree with signing old players just because we don't have replacements. Hampton missed most the season 2 years ago and Hoke played fine. Signing these old dudes is not the way to go unless they are VERY Steelers friendly deals.

Colbert needs to pick up his prospect evaluation because his crappy drafts over the past half dozen years is why we have nobody being groomed behind these guys.
    That wasn't two years ago (he played 13 games in 200. It was all the way back in 2004 that Hampton was limited to only 6 games. Every other season he played in 15 or 16 games.

Legend

we definitely need to groom a young guy at NT... but until we do we have a pro bowler at NT. It's not like NT is a position that demands young legs or movement in space. The age and durability you talk of has A.Smith written all over it and Hood is being groomed.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

That wasn't two years ago (he played 13 games in 200. It was all the way back in 2004 that Hampton was limited to only 6 games. Every other season he played in 15 or 16 games.
    My timing was off on when he stepped in, but my point still stands. He can play. No need to resign Casey investing dollars in a multi year deal. Same with Clark. Absolutely HAVE to start grooming young talent. We were forced to sign Clark in free agency because we had no replacement for Chris Hope. Now we are goign to be forced to resign Clark cause we have no replacement. Had to resign Farrior cause we have no replacement.

How many old, high priced free agents do you see the Colts & Patriots signing? You see them resigning their old free agents????
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

[quote=Mister Pittsburgh]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":p1vv40sr

My timing was off on when he stepped in, but my point still stands. He can play. No need to resign Casey investing dollars in a multi year deal. Same with Clark. Absolutely HAVE to start grooming young talent. We were forced to sign Clark in free agency because we had no replacement for Chris Hope. Now we are goign to be forced to resign Clark cause we have no replacement. Had to resign Farrior cause we have no replacement.

How many old, high priced free agents do you see the Colts & Patriots signing? You see them resigning their old free agents????[/quote1vv40sr]

It's not the LeBeau way to let young players play and therefore develop. That is why we have no depth on the DL as players like Ryan McBean, Orien Harris, etc has been let go because they convert to play 3-4 DL requirements.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend

Clark, Farrior, Carter, Deshea.... All these guys need to go. Clark is tricky because when Troy is in Clark isn't a problem.

NT is not a position that concerns me regarding age...

[quote=Mister Pittsburgh]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":3l1d0ftj

How many old, high priced free agents do you see the Colts & Patriots signing? You see them resigning their old free agents????[/quote:3l1d0ftj]

There is a huge difference between saying that Hoke was able fill in effectively 2 years ago and saying that Hoke was able fill in effectively 6 years ago. But I do agree with your general point that we need to start grooming young talent.

The Colts don't typically sign other team's free agents (except for a few years ago when they kept trying to plug their hole at DT with guys like Corey Simon and Booger McFarland), primarily because so much of their cap is eaten up by huge contracts given to Manning, Wayne, Freeney, etc., but New England has always lived by the "sign old free agents" mantra. Just recently did they start a youth movement as a good deal of their core group got older (and they have not been as successful as they were earlier in the decade because they have had some subpar drafts over the past 4 years or so).

[quote=RuthlessBurgher]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":2l7ii9w5

How many old, high priced free agents do you see the Colts & Patriots signing? You see them resigning their old free agents????
    There is a huge difference between saying that Hoke was able fill in effectively 2 years ago and saying that Hoke was able fill in effectively 6 years ago. But I do agree with your general point that we need to start grooming young talent.

The Colts don't typically sign other team's free agents (except for a few years ago when they kept trying to plug their hole at DT with guys like Corey Simon and Booger McFarland), primarily because so much of their cap is eaten up by huge contracts given to Manning, Wayne, Freeney, etc., but New England has always lived by the "sign old free agents" mantra. Just recently did they start a youth movement as a good deal of their core group got older (and they have not been as successful as they were earlier in the decade because they have had some subpar drafts over the past 4 years or so).[/quote:2l7ii9w5]

The Pats signed old free agents CHEAPLY. They were looking for SB rings. For some reason I haven't seen our rings lure guys in to sign with us. Not that I want us to sign old guys. Even our own.

Colbert needs to get on the ball and hit on a lot of picks this year. We are pretty much forced to resign Clark as there is nobody ready to step in. We were forced to sign Clark because there was nobody ready to step in for Chris Hope. If one of our OLB goes down we are screwed. We were screwed when Troy went down. Key Fox can play ILB but there is really nobody behind him if something happened to Timmons and Farrior.

Wonder if we could dangle Troy in front of Al Davis old nose for 2 first rounders?
    @_Hellgrammite

Wonder if we could dangle Troy in front of Al Davis old nose for 2 first rounders?
    Al Davis already traded his 2011 first round pick to New England in the Richard Seymour deal. What a dolt.