Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 121

Thread: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

  1. #71
    Pro Bowler calmkiller's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    1,336

    Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

    Personally I believe, as stated above, it all comes down to who we resign in the off season. If Casey comes back we are good at NT, if Clark comes back we are okay at Safety. Personally though if Earl Thomas drops to say 12 I think we have to move up to get him.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!


    Draft 2.0

    1. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
    2. Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
    3. Kareem Martin, DE, UNC
    4. Donte Moncrief, WR, Mississippi
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    5b. Seantrel Henderson, OT, Miami
    6a. Kevin Pierre-Louis, OLB, Boston College
    6b. Glen Stanley, OLB, Albany St
    7. Beau Allen, NT, Wisconsin

  2. #72
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

    i've read that thomas is a pretty fierc hitter as well.


    if they draft mays, would they think about flipping him and troy.

    mays at SS, troy at FS?

  3. #73
    Pro Bowler Lebsteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    SW Ohio
    Posts
    1,007

    Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    i've read that thomas is a pretty fierc hitter as well.


    if they draft mays, would they think about flipping him and troy.

    mays at SS, troy at FS?
    Yea, I was thinking the same thing. That would maybe add a few years to Troy's career by making him more a deep guy that might get less contact while it would play to Mays' strength and allow him to play the run more and have less coverage responsibilities.

  4. #74
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    15,146

    Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel

    I'd like our first three picks to be on defense, maybe something like:

    1) Earl Thomas--FS
    2) Jared Odrick--DT (3-4 DE) (trade a 4th and extra later round picks to move up)
    3) Sean Lee--ILB or Micah Johnson--ILB

    I agree with you, except I would love to see our first 3 picks unfold this way:

    1) Earl Thomas - FS started every game in his career at Texas and set a school record with 8 interceptions this past season, would look great next to Troy

    2) CB - choose from the best one still available: Patrick Robinson, Donovan Warren, Kareem Jackson, Brandon Ghee, Perrish Cox, Trevard Lindley, Javier Arenas, Syd'Quan Thompson, Amari Spievey or Dominique Franks

    3) Torrell Troup - NT Casey Hampton may prove difficult to re-sign, at 6'2" and 320 lbs. Troup will inject some youth into this crucial position.

  5. #75

    Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    I guess I don't see starks and colon like others. I don't want an "okay" tackle when we have an special QB who can win us a game on any given Sunday. I want an Orlando Pace, a Jonathon Ogden, a Tony Boselli or an Anthony Munoz.

    I want a Jon m'f'ing KOLB!!!!
    Wasn't Kolb a guard?
    He was a tackle. He protected bradshaw's blind side and he did it consistently well, which is something I'd like out of our LT and it hasn't been happening from Starks (though I do agree about ben's extended ball-holding, etc, etc..).

    I see starks' problem as a mainly a motivational one, though I have nothing to base this on except observations. He seems to go through stretches where he plays horribly like his brain has gone on vacation. But then he'll string together games where he plays rather well, like the end of last year and through most of last years post-season. I just wish he'd play with focus and fire each and every game, especially considering that he got paid well imo. Maybe this new o-line coach can put Deebo's work ethic and attitude into Starks. In fact, I hope he (new coach) is a exceptional motivator as I feel most of our o-line has talent but lack the game-to-game consistent motivation and focus (as eveidenced by colon's ongoing false starts)

  6. #76

    Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    I think Cody and Mays are similar in that they both are athletic marvels, but Cody is very limited because he doesn't seem to be able to rush the QB and will probably only be a two down NT, while Mays has real problems covering WRs. I think Mays problem is that he is simply to big to play FS. He is about the size of Timmons, so maybe he would transition to LB in the NFL, but not in a Steeler uniform, hopefully.

    I'd like Thomas or maybe Williams. I'd also consider Jared Odrick, DT from Penn State. 18 might be a little high for him, but he is projected to be a very good 3-4 DE.
    Can Hampton rush the QB? I don't have to tell you that the NT in the 3-4 isn't going to be a pass rushing marvel. He is going to have to command double teams. Cody does just that. I don't believe many guys can block him one on one. He is 360 pounds and extremely agile for that size. I would bet if you blocked him one on one all game he would get plenty of sacks.

  7. #77
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,445

    Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    I think Cody and Mays are similar in that they both are athletic marvels, but Cody is very limited because he doesn't seem to be able to rush the QB and will probably only be a two down NT, while Mays has real problems covering WRs. I think Mays problem is that he is simply to big to play FS. He is about the size of Timmons, so maybe he would transition to LB in the NFL, but not in a Steeler uniform, hopefully.

    I'd like Thomas or maybe Williams. I'd also consider Jared Odrick, DT from Penn State. 18 might be a little high for him, but he is projected to be a very good 3-4 DE.
    Can Hampton rush the QB? I don't have to tell you that the NT in the 3-4 isn't going to be a pass rushing marvel. He is going to have to command double teams. Cody does just that. I don't believe many guys can block him one on one. He is 360 pounds and extremely agile for that size. I would bet if you blocked him one on one all game he would get plenty of sacks.
    My concern about Cody is that he is 360lbs and that is the lightest we will ever see him which will lead to stamina and durability issues. He will likely never be more than a two down lineman. If the Steelers do pick him, and I think that totally depends on their decision with Hampton because they don't need both, I hope I am wrong about his work tehic. I have very good friends whose kids are students at Bama and they are huge fans. They are not high on Cody and how much you can expect from him as a Pro.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  8. #78
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,445

    Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Chadman seriously doubts that OT will be a high pick- Starks just got paid, and as has been pointed out, Colon graded out well AGAIN. He'll get paid too. OG is unlikely to be a high pick as Kemo is on decent money, and Urbik was drafted last year with a look to playing RG. OC is a possibility after missing the top 3 OC's last year, but really, there isn't an OC worthy of the 1st round.

    The NT position relies solely on Casey Hampton. If Hampton is re-signed, NT will be a mid-round pick. If Hampton isn't signed, NT is your 1st round pick. Cody, despite people's fear with his conditioning, is a rare athlete- and if available at #18, is a VERY LIKELY pick for the Steelers. However, NT's are getting more popular as teams switch to the 3-4. This puts the 2nd NT on the table- Dan Williams, who, barring an Oakland style draft brain explosion, will last until #18, and could also be a viable option.

    FS is a need- and if Clark leaves & Hampton stays, becomes the #1 need. Berry is gone by #10, let alone #18. So it'll be between Earl Thomas & Taylor Mays. Thomas is a ball hawk, and a promising player. Definately a big chance. but Chadman is actually leaning more towards Mays now to play FS. He could probably start on Day 1 because of the level of competition he is used to, and his hard hitting style will be attractive to the Steelers as they try to re-establish that 'dominant' feel to the AFC NORTH. But simply, Mays is limited in his coverage, as has been mentioned, but his pure physicality, his brutalness, make him an attractive option at #18. With Mays, Polamalu & Timmons- the Steelers could have the most dynamic defense in the NFL.

    CB- Patrick Robinson is the only real candidate at #18, but with 2 CB picks last year, Chadman doubts we see a high pick brought in ahead of them. That being said, Robinson looks a good player & wouldn't be a bad pick at all. Chadman, however, prefers Myron Lewis to fit the physical nature of Pittsburgh Defense - and he can be had around the 3rd round.

    RB CJ Spiller has the most amount of 'impact ability' of all 1st rounders, but if he runs sub 4.35 at the combine, he'll be gone by #18. If you want a sleeper RB- look for LeMarkus Coker out of Hampton- formerly of Tenn before a few legal issues (read- drugs) got him kicked out. But he has reportedly turned his life around...and could run a sub 4.3...a 5th round pick three could be a wise investment.

    So, to recap- Chadman thinks it'll be between Terrence Cody, Dan Williams, Earl Thomas, Taylor Mays, Patrick Robinson & POSSIBLY CJ Spiller.
    From your list, I'd take Thomas or one of the NT's. I think drafting a DB that can't cover is like drafting a WR that can't catch. Taylor Mays looks like the defensive equivalent of Darrius Heyward-Bey to me...yes, he has amazing measurables and athleticism, but of he can't do the primary job that you are paying him to do, then what is the point? Don't like Patrick Robinson either. I don't think that there is another CB with a first round grade after Haden (and Robinson wouldn't even be my preferred CB if we took one in the second round). And even though Spiller is explosive, we are not in need of offensive skill players like we are in need of linemen and players on all 3 levels of the defense. I think we should take the best player available at a position of need. We have many positions of need, but Spiller's position isn't one of them. We likely won't draft a RB until the middle or late rounds.
    Stay away from patrick Robinson. I'll bet he barely measures 5'10" and I never saw him standout in any FSU game I watched. There are good CBs that will be able to be had in Round 2 or 3 of this year's draft but not in Round 1.

    I will continue to disagree about Spiller. Best bang for the buck we could get at #18. I continue to ask the question: "What do you do if Mendenhall gets hurt?" You need three solid RBs in the NFL to get through the season. We have one and a half with Mendy and Moore. No mid-round RB will give you what Spiller can give you...game changing ability as a runner, receiver or returner. Mid to late round RB selection get you Frank Summers. Do you really think that is enough?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  9. #79

    Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

    Bulaga has strength tattooed on his bicep in Polish. I figured all you yinzers would like that.

  10. #80

    Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebsteel
    I think Cody and Mays are similar in that they both are athletic marvels, but Cody is very limited because he doesn't seem to be able to rush the QB and will probably only be a two down NT, while Mays has real problems covering WRs. I think Mays problem is that he is simply to big to play FS. He is about the size of Timmons, so maybe he would transition to LB in the NFL, but not in a Steeler uniform, hopefully.

    I'd like Thomas or maybe Williams. I'd also consider Jared Odrick, DT from Penn State. 18 might be a little high for him, but he is projected to be a very good 3-4 DE.
    Can Hampton rush the QB? I don't have to tell you that the NT in the 3-4 isn't going to be a pass rushing marvel. He is going to have to command double teams. Cody does just that. I don't believe many guys can block him one on one. He is 360 pounds and extremely agile for that size. I would bet if you blocked him one on one all game he would get plenty of sacks.
    My concern about Cody is that he is 360lbs and that is the lightest we will ever see him which will lead to stamina and durability issues. He will likely never be more than a two down lineman. If the Steelers do pick him, and I think that totally depends on their decision with Hampton because they don't need both, I hope I am wrong about his work tehic. I have very good friends whose kids are students at Bama and they are huge fans. They are not high on Cody and how much you can expect from him as a Pro.
    What are they basing that on? From my understanding and watching him play is he is unblockable one on one? I have heard the rumors...but if we don't sign Hampton who would you suggest? I still attest that Dan Williams will be a good NT...but he is a reach at 18. If we trade down a few slots and grab Williams...I'm very ok with that. If we sign Hampton to a three year deal...I'm very happy to grab a NT project.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •