Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    By the way, just the mere idea that Willie Colon is a better tackle than Ryan Clady (16th?) or Michael Roos (37th???) is complete and utter hogwash. Thanks for nothing, ProFootballFocus.com. I've watched Willie Colon play. He's an average tackle that does not have the feet to contend with speed rushers on the outside. I think he has the potential be a Pro Bowl guard, though, certainly a much better mauler on the interior than Darnell Stapleton or Trai Essex. I'd like to know what the new o-line coach sees when he is breaking down tape from last season, and when he starts working out these guys in minicamps and OTA's.

Glad I'm not the only one that was puzzled about this "3rd best tackle in the league" thing
    I'm on the move him to guard bandwagon that someone started. I think he's so slow, Casey Hampton could get by him with a speed rush.

I think if you move him inside, you solidify the interior of the line.

And Ben can hold the ball longer and still take about 50 sacks a season...

Legend

User Info Menu

By the way, just the mere idea that Willie Colon is a better tackle than Ryan Clady (16th?) or Michael Roos (37th???) is complete and utter hogwash. Thanks for nothing, ProFootballFocus.com. I've watched Willie Colon play. He's an average tackle that does not have the feet to contend with speed rushers on the outside. I think he has the potential be a Pro Bowl guard, though, certainly a much better mauler on the interior than Darnell Stapleton or Trai Essex. I'd like to know what the new o-line coach sees when he is breaking down tape from last season, and when he starts working out these guys in minicamps and OTA's.

Glad I'm not the only one that was puzzled about this "3rd best tackle in the league" thing
    agreed,

they must not take into account all his pre snap penalties. hell, i never heard that one of his helmet not in the middle of his center's mid section before willie was called for it...more then once IIRC.

then looking at the browns game and having his man go right around him to sack ben twice with only a 3 man rush....who does that analysis....willie's mother

Legend

User Info Menu

i think it was kiper who said Iupati may have the feet to play RT/Lt in the bigs.

even all 5 positions on the line

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy

I'm on the move him to guard bandwagon that someone started. I think he's so slow, Casey Hampton could get by him with a speed rush.

Most of the sacks Ben takes (that aren't his fault) are from up the middle rushes and then from Starks' side (expected because that is usually the best rusher). I think Colon gives up the fewest.

I love how a source (won't say how valid) gives a positive rating and it is almost immediately discounted because it doesn't agree with the "experts" who watch games from their "Lazy Boys"

Remember that Kugler turned Jason Peters into an All Pro. If he does the same with Colon and Starks we have two solid tackles for the next 5-6 years.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy

Most of the sacks Ben takes (that aren't his fault) are from up the middle rushes and then from Starks' side (expected because that is usually the best rusher). I think Colon gives up the fewest.

I love how a source (won't say how valid) gives a positive rating and it is almost immediately discounted because it doesn't agree with the "experts" who watch games from their "Lazy Boys"

Remember that Kugler turned Jason Peters into an All Pro. If he does the same with Colon and Starks we have two solid tackles for the next 5-6 years.
    I don't know a casual fan who would sit back and watch Colon and think he's a great tackle.

There are lots of tackles in the NFL that don't allow rushers to easily speed by them and don't take lots of penalties. If the source had ranked Colon 10-15 I wouldn't think twice about that ranking, but 3? No way. And why isn't he in the ProBowl if he's #3? That tells me most don't buy it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I'm almost 100% sure we won't draft a OT in the first round. Starks and Colon are solid. I don't see the point. Our struggles are in the interior. We do need a Center...and an extra guard wouldn't hurt...but neither will be picked in the first.
    I think if Iuputi is still on the board when you guys pick, it would be tough for the Steelers to pass on him. A Huge run blocking guard like him would fit nicely into Rooney's plans of getting back to a more consistent running game.

I see your argument about not drafting an OT. A center and/or guard combined with a true FB should probably be the focus...
    I can't see us using #18 on a Guard. Not to mention I don't believe Iuputi to be a good value at 18 no matter how you look at it.
    He is versatile, which you guys like as well. He can probably play G or RT. I think that's enough value for a #18 pick...
    I have heard that argument before about value with players. But, in the first round I want a guy who is superb at one position...rather than good at multiple. Iuputi is a solid guard and should make a good pro...no denying it. But, drafting a Guard at 18? Eh...not typically Steeler style.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm almost 100% sure we won't draft a OT in the first round. Starks and Colon are solid. I don't see the point. Our struggles are in the interior. We do need a Center...and an extra guard wouldn't hurt...but neither will be picked in the first.
    I think if Iuputi is still on the board when you guys pick, it would be tough for the Steelers to pass on him. A Huge run blocking guard like him would fit nicely into Rooney's plans of getting back to a more consistent running game.

I see your argument about not drafting an OT. A center and/or guard combined with a true FB should probably be the focus...
    I can't see us using #18 on a Guard. Not to mention I don't believe Iuputi to be a good value at 18 no matter how you look at it.
    He is versatile, which you guys like as well. He can probably play G or RT. I think that's enough value for a #18 pick...
    I have heard that argument before about value with players. But, in the first round I want a guy who is superb at one position...rather than good at multiple. Iuputi is a solid guard and should make a good pro...no denying it. But, drafting a Guard at 18? Eh...not typically Steeler style.
    It almost sounds like a baseball team drafting a utility infielder with their #1 pick.

Legend

User Info Menu

Eh...not typically Steeler style.
    fanaca was close at (what was it) 22?

john reinstra #7

Legend

User Info Menu

Flippy...Exactly.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

I truly hope that Koogs can turn Colon and Starks into All Pros. That would be awesome. I look forward to vast improvement over the Zeirlein era.

But Colon is nowhere close to that now. I'm not saying he sucks. I'm just saying he's not elite like this site suggests. He's an average NFL tackle. The guys who do analysis for ProFootballFocus.com from their La-Z-Boys obviously have a major flaw in their metrics if they think Colon is #3 right now while Clady is #16 and Roos is #37. Would the Broncos trade us Clady for Colon straight up? Would the Titans trade us Roos for Colon straight up? No way in hell.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.