Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    I would say that the first pick will be an OL. Unless Haden falls or Patrick Robinson climbs up the ladder. The Rooneys will want to protect their 112 million dollar man and improve the run game. Having said that look for Bulaga, Iupati or ( my hope) Trent Williams if he falls a little.

If Steelers go by BPA then Steelers might go for an OT if they can get hold of top-3 OT in this draft.
    I'd be very very pleased w/ a top 3 OT, top 2 NT (though it seems there is a huge drop off from 1 - cody - to 2) or top 2 CB
    I think that the top 2 NT prospects (Terrence Cody and Dan Williams) are much closer than Haden and huge drop down to the #2 CB prospect, whoever that may be (Donovan Warren? Brandon Ghee? Patrick Robinson? Trevard Lindley? Javier Arenas? Perrish Cox?)

I think that there are 6 OT's that are first round worthy this year (Russell Okung, Bruce Campbell, Anthony Davis, Bryan Bulaga, Trent Williams, and Charles Brown) and one guard on the cusp (Mike Iupati) with the top center (Maurkice Pouncey) likely to go in round 2.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    I would say that the first pick will be an OL. Unless Haden falls or Patrick Robinson climbs up the ladder. The Rooneys will want to protect their 112 million dollar man and improve the run game. Having said that look for Bulaga, Iupati or ( my hope) Trent Williams if he falls a little.
    Where do you think Bulaga or Williams will play? OT? Do you think they replace Starks? No. Do they replace Colon? Unlikely, especially since Colon graded out this past season as the thrid best OT behind Joe Thomas and Jake Long.

Yesterday's Q&A with Jim Wexell

SteelerCooz: I thought Willie Colon played very well this past season. What level of tender should the Steelers offer him? More specifically, would a first-round pick be adequate compensation for one of the Steelers’ only consistent lineman?

I could live with a first-round pick as compensation for Colon. That’s the tender he received last year and I see the same tender this year. And I agree that Colon had an excellent season. One website (ProFootballFocus.com) assigns a numerical value to every play of every NFL player and they ranked Colon as the third best tackle in the league this past season behind Joe Thomas and Jake Long.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    The one that sticks out like a sore thumb on your list, flip, is the Verner kid from UCLA. I don't think he's a first round prospect (more like a middle round guy).

SKL, I don't think you need to worry about if Trent Williams will be available. It is rare for guys that are seen pretty much only as a RT prospect to go in the top half of the first round. Typically, it is the guys with left tackle feet that go early. Remember, fellow Sooner Phil Loadholdt fell into round 2 last year (based on Loadholdt's early success, though, I think Williams will be a first rounder this year, but probably mid-to-late first).

I can see that side of things, and I think alot of teams watched as Loadholt started every game at RT for the Vikes this year as a rookie and played very well. He will slide over to LT when McKinnie is done. Williams natural fit is at right tackle but he could probably be an All-Pro guard and even played center in OU's bowl game this year. I think he could be a great asset to a team like ours.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    The one that sticks out like a sore thumb on your list, flip, is the Verner kid from UCLA. I don't think he's a first round prospect (more like a middle round guy).

SKL, I don't think you need to worry about if Trent Williams will be available. It is rare for guys that are seen pretty much only as a RT prospect to go in the top half of the first round. Typically, it is the guys with left tackle feet that go early. Remember, fellow Sooner Phil Loadholdt fell into round 2 last year (based on Loadholdt's early success, though, I think Williams will be a first rounder this year, but probably mid-to-late first).
    That list was a compilation of who I saw others picking for us in their mocks at 18:
    [url="http://nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/2010-staff-mocks/Mikes-2010-nfl-mock-draft.html"]http://nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/2010 ... draft.html[/url]

I had no idea who he even was.

My Preferences Would Be Do Something Different than the Mocks are suggesting:

1. Trade up for Berry (I read you mentioning this one and agree) or McClain
    2. Gresham
    3. Take a closer look at Campbell or Dunlap
    4. Spiller (maybe)
    5. Trade Down

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    Btw, I think it sucks we're bumped from 15 to 18 based on some formula on toughness of schedule
    I think you are a little confused. The teams picking at 15-17 are all 8-8. They are picking before us because their record is worse. We actually are the first team to pick at 9-7 because we had the weakest schedule. The formula actually helped us.
    Doh!

Thanks for clarifying. I apparently was confused. I thought for some reason we were the last of several 9-7 teams to pick

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    My thoughts:

Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa--strong possibility but where does he play? Colon graded out as thrid highest rated OT in the NFL.

Taylor Mays, S , USC--will have to see in folm that the rumors about his playmaking skills are true and he is not just a workout warrior. I still like him.

Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama--possibility but wouldn't touch him. As I said his fitness and work ethic are rumored to mkae Hampton look like Lance Armstrong.

Alterran Verner, CB, UCLA--way too high for him.

Earl Thomas, S, Texas--strong possibility, but don't expect to see him on the field until 2011 in LeBeau's scheme. Is that what you really want for #18. Another year of b1tching and complaining about a player being a bust because our defense is too complex like we heard about Timmons. Hint: It's the scheme not the young players!!!!!

CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson--I really like it if for no other reason to see the associated meltdown that will occur on this board. Seriously though, he is probably the one pick on the list that would give you immediate returns. All we ever read is love and envy for Joe Cribbs, Devin Hester, etc but when a player who can do the same for us is available fans don't want him because we drafted a RB two years ago. Logical right??????

Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho--Possible. Best rated player at his position which is what Colbert seems to target. Could challenge for playing time from Day 1 and improve the OL. However, #18 is high to draft for a Guard but I'd be OK for this.

I'd be OK with Gresham too as long as we see more throws to the TE which I think we will as Hines wears down. Again, another entertaining meltdown will occur.

Add Dan Williams, NT, Tenn to your list. Pick #18 is probably high for him but more and more NTs are going to be overdrafted because of demand with more 3-4 defense. Also add Brandon Spikes. His workouts will be critical to put concerns about speed aside or he could drop like Rey Malauga from USC did last year.
    I like some of these guys but really feel like 18 is too high for many.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Mel Blount's G]
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mel Blount's G":2tdnxm1d
    Btw, I think it sucks we're bumped from 15 to 18 based on some formula on toughness of schedule
    I think you are a little confused. The teams picking at 15-17 are all 8-8. They are picking before us because their record is worse. We actually are the first team to pick at 9-7 because we had the weakest schedule. The formula actually helped us.
    Doh!

Thanks for clarifying. I apparently was confused. I thought for some reason we were the last of several 9-7 teams to pick[/quote:2tdnxm1d]

We are the first of the three 9-7 teams to pick in the first round with the 18th pick, but then in round 2, we are the last of the three 9-7 teams to pick (we have the 20th pick in round 2). In the third round, we are in the middle of the three 9-7 teams to pick (but it will be the 18th pick in the third instead of the 19th because Washington forfeited their 3rd round pick in the supplemental draft last season).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    My thoughts:

Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa--strong possibility but where does he play? Colon graded out as thrid highest rated OT in the NFL.

Taylor Mays, S , USC--will have to see in folm that the rumors about his playmaking skills are true and he is not just a workout warrior. I still like him.

Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama--possibility but wouldn't touch him. As I said his fitness and work ethic are rumored to mkae Hampton look like Lance Armstrong.

Alterran Verner, CB, UCLA--way too high for him.

Earl Thomas, S, Texas--strong possibility, but don't expect to see him on the field until 2011 in LeBeau's scheme. Is that what you really want for #18. Another year of b1tching and complaining about a player being a bust because our defense is too complex like we heard about Timmons. Hint: It's the scheme not the young players!!!!!

CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson--I really like it if for no other reason to see the associated meltdown that will occur on this board. Seriously though, he is probably the one pick on the list that would give you immediate returns. All we ever read is love and envy for Joe Cribbs, Devin Hester, etc but when a player who can do the same for us is available fans don't want him because we drafted a RB two years ago. Logical right??????

Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho--Possible. Best rated player at his position which is what Colbert seems to target. Could challenge for playing time from Day 1 and improve the OL. However, #18 is high to draft for a Guard but I'd be OK for this.

I'd be OK with Gresham too as long as we see more throws to the TE which I think we will as Hines wears down. Again, another entertaining meltdown will occur.

Add Dan Williams, NT, Tenn to your list. Pick #18 is probably high for him but more and more NTs are going to be overdrafted because of demand with more 3-4 defense. Also add Brandon Spikes. His workouts will be critical to put concerns about speed aside or he could drop like Rey Malauga from USC did last year.
    I like some of these guys but really feel like 18 is too high for many.
    Except for Spiller I agree because the defensive players won't see the field in 2010.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It look like the Steelers will be getting 3 compensatory picks this year....(2) 5ths & a 7th. I'm all for trading up with that many picks. There is already an odd man out on the OL with Stapleton coming back. I really don't see them taking an OL early with the needs on D. After the Senior Bowl and the combine Williams will climb the board.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

but don't expect to see him on the field until 2011 in LeBeau's scheme.
    Come to think of it, when was there EVER a draft pick to play in LeBeau's scheme in his first year? I can almost believe they sit out on principle alone from what I've seen