Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

Legend

Who Will We Pick @ #1?

I've started looking at other folks mock drafts to see who they think we'll most likely pick. Any of these guys sound right to you?

Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa
    Taylor Mays, S , USC
    Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
    Alterran Verner, CB, UCLA
    Earl Thomas, S, Texas
    CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
    Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho

The more I look at this, the less excited I am about the #18 pick. I think our best bet might be if Eric Berry or Rolondo McClain drop a little and we can somehow trade up to grab one of them.

If we can't get one of those 2, I think the big difference maker left at 18 is Gresham (and I know no one likes the idea of a TE).

Another guy should consider at 18 is Bruce Campbell - LT Maryland. I'm not sure if this kid could be the best tackle in the draft or a bust?

Then the other I'd look at closely @ 18 would be Carlos Dunlap, DE, Florida. Not sure if the Steelers would touch him because of his character, but this guy is another guy that seems like he should be going much higher than many are predicting at this time.

If not those guys, I may roll the dice on Spiller cause I think the kid could be special, but I really don't like taking a RB so high again.

Then my next thought would be to trade down into the 20s. There's a lot of guys available and I'm not sure any of them is the perfect pick at 18. I have a feeling the 26th player off the board could be just as good as #18.

Re: Who Will We Pick @ #1?

If we do not get a super big ugly, for either side of the ball (NT if for defense), then I'd only be happy with a super studly, "splashing" playmaker of a shut down cornerback

Btw, I think it sucks we're bumped from 15 to 18 based on some formula on toughness of schedule

I would really like Earl Thomas or Taylor Mays with our first pick, BUT if Berry is still out there at pick 10-12, I'd say it MIGHT be worth a second round pick to move up. If it comes to pick 12 and all three are still there, I think I would wait and take my chances at 18. However, I doubt there is any way that Berry even gets close to pick 12.

I would say that the first pick will be an OL. Unless Haden falls or Patrick Robinson climbs up the ladder. The Rooneys will want to protect their 112 million dollar man and improve the run game. Having said that look for Bulaga, Iupati or ( my hope) Trent Williams if he falls a little.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    I would say that the first pick will be an OL. Unless Haden falls or Patrick Robinson climbs up the ladder. The Rooneys will want to protect their 112 million dollar man and improve the run game. Having said that look for Bulaga, Iupati or ( my hope) Trent Williams if he falls a little.

If Steelers go by BPA then Steelers might go for an OT if they can get hold of top-3 OT in this draft.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

I really think it will be Cody or Thomas. If it's Mays I will weep...the guy can't play safety at the next level. Mays=Anthony Smith in coverage. No matter how athletic the guy might be...he can't cover. And I don't believe Berry makes it out the top 5.

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo

If Steelers go by BPA then Steelers might go for an OT if they can get hold of top-3 OT in this draft.
    I'd be very very pleased w/ a top 3 OT, top 2 NT (though it seems there is a huge drop off from 1 - cody - to 2) or top 2 CB

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

The one that sticks out like a sore thumb on your list, flip, is the Verner kid from UCLA. I don't think he's a first round prospect (more like a middle round guy).

SKL, I don't think you need to worry about if Trent Williams will be available. It is rare for guys that are seen pretty much only as a RT prospect to go in the top half of the first round. Typically, it is the guys with left tackle feet that go early. Remember, fellow Sooner Phil Loadholdt fell into round 2 last year (based on Loadholdt's early success, though, I think Williams will be a first rounder this year, but probably mid-to-late first).

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    Btw, I think it sucks we're bumped from 15 to 18 based on some formula on toughness of schedule
    I think you are a little confused. The teams picking at 15-17 are all 8-8. They are picking before us because their record is worse. We actually are the first team to pick at 9-7 because we had the weakest schedule. The formula actually helped us.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

My thoughts:

Bryan Bulaga, OT, Iowa--strong possibility but where does he play? Colon graded out as thrid highest rated OT in the NFL.

Taylor Mays, S , USC--will have to see in folm that the rumors about his playmaking skills are true and he is not just a workout warrior. I still like him.

Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama--possibility but wouldn't touch him. As I said his fitness and work ethic are rumored to mkae Hampton look like Lance Armstrong.

Alterran Verner, CB, UCLA--way too high for him.

Earl Thomas, S, Texas--strong possibility, but don't expect to see him on the field until 2011 in LeBeau's scheme. Is that what you really want for #18. Another year of b1tching and complaining about a player being a bust because our defense is too complex like we heard about Timmons. Hint: It's the scheme not the young players!!!!!

CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson--I really like it if for no other reason to see the associated meltdown that will occur on this board. Seriously though, he is probably the one pick on the list that would give you immediate returns. All we ever read is love and envy for Joe Cribbs, Devin Hester, etc but when a player who can do the same for us is available fans don't want him because we drafted a RB two years ago. Logical right??????

Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho--Possible. Best rated player at his position which is what Colbert seems to target. Could challenge for playing time from Day 1 and improve the OL. However, #18 is high to draft for a Guard but I'd be OK for this.

I'd be OK with Gresham too as long as we see more throws to the TE which I think we will as Hines wears down. Again, another entertaining meltdown will occur.

Add Dan Williams, NT, Tenn to your list. Pick #18 is probably high for him but more and more NTs are going to be overdrafted because of demand with more 3-4 defense. Also add Brandon Spikes. His workouts will be critical to put concerns about speed aside or he could drop like Rey Malauga from USC did last year.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!