Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You make the call - draft day trade.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You make the call - draft day trade.

The Broncos are on the clock at #11. Rolando McClain is amazingly still on the board. The Dolphins who are very week at 3-4 ILB seem poised to take him at #12. The Broncos (who have a number of holes to fill) are willing to trade their pick at #11 and their 4th round pick for our 1st and 2nd round selections. Do you make the trade?

If you don't feel at least a little tempted, you haven't watched enough of McClain.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: You make the call - draft day trade.

I would (If I were the Steelers that is).

I know giving up the 2nd round pick means addressing the secondary via the draft becomes difficult BUT McClain would be a dominate ILB for your team for the next decade.

Plus look at secondary players like BMac who got torched in the playoffs this year, you guys were successful with him back there, so you could probably find someone in FA or later in the draft to address those holes.

Also in the 3rd round you can probably still find good Guards and Centers...

Backup

User Info Menu

I like McClain a lot. I think he is one of the 5 best players in the draft and a future star (like Willis in SF). I was looking forward to the Steelers being able to draft him when I thought the team was headed for a 6-10 finish. Having said all of that, I wouldn't trade the 2nd round pick if I am the Steelers. The Steelers have a lot of holes, and since they don't make major moves in FA, they need to draft a lot of talented players for the roster.

The Steelers are an old defensive team. They need to add youth at all three levels of the defense. Guys like Aaron Smith and Troy P are getting older and likely to stay injured. The Steelers need good depth on defense to keep the defense going. They also need to address the OL (Colbert has basically refused to spend high draft choices on OL for the last decade (Simmons being the exception). I would draft a safety or an OL with the first pick (maybe Odrick if he is available for the DL) and then follow up with another defensive player in round two.

I think the Steelers are farther away from a championship than some people realize.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only way that I would give up our 2nd round pick to move up in the first is if we had to shot to get Eric Berry.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    The only way that I would give up our 2nd round pick to move up in the first is if we had to shot to get Eric Berry.
    Agreed, or maybe Haden too.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I could see someone liking Berry over McClain. But Hayden? I have to assume this is because CB is a position of need. Still, I'm pretty confident McClain will be a better pro than Hayden.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

For McClain? No, not at all, he's just not special enough. I have my concerns that Saban's system made him look better than he really is. I'd be happy staying put or trading down & nab Weatherspoon, who I think is the next Patrick Willis.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    For McClain? No, not at all, he's just not special enough. I have my concerns that Saban's system made him look better than he really is. I'd be happy staying put or trading down & nab Weatherspoon, who I think is the next Patrick Willis.
    Richard LeBeau's system has been known to do the same thing, so McClain might fit in perfectly...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Richard LeBeau's system has been known to do the same thing, so McClain might fit in perfectly...
    True, but more so for OLBs not ILBs like McClain. I have concerns that he may more of a 2-down LB in the pros...may be wrong, but there's something about him that concerns me.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[quote=Steel Life]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by "Steel Life":5gzh64su
    True, but more so for OLBs not ILBs like McClain. I have concerns that he may more of a 2-down LB in the pros...may be wrong, but there's something about him that concerns me.[/quote:5gzh64su]

You might be right. I think everyone wants to find flaws in players game like Brandon Spikes who was soo highly praised last season. McClain if he stayed in college probably would have been under the microscope more and additional flaws might have come out.

At the same time that extra scrutiny dropped Laurinaitis and Maualuga to the 2nd round and both of those players have been studs so far.

So basically just disregard this entire post...