Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grading out Ziggy....

Backup

User Info Menu

Grading out Ziggy....

I'm glad we drafted a DL this year but like most of you I don't yet have a feel how Ziggy will fare in the NFL. Have you all seen anything in the guy. I know its early but he was a 1st rounder. Seems to be we drafted a servicable starter, maybe an above avg guy who does his job but not a lot of splash plays and never makes the pro-bowl.
    Can this guy be a pro-bowler?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Grading out Ziggy....

My biggest beef with Dick Lebeau's defense is that rookies don't come in and contribute because it's too complex. Let's simplify this thing for the young guys and get them on the field and producing quicker.

Ziggy's gonna be alright, but it's tough to judge at this point. I expect he'll eventually start playing faster and that's when we'll know what we've got.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think you hit the mark on the guy. I think he'll "just" end up being a solid team guy...
    I don't see a lot to get EXCITED(!) about, but I don't dislke the pick, nor the player, nor his season really (didn't expect much from him this year).

To compare him... maybe like a Keith Willis... or Gerald Williams... or a poorman's Aaron Smith.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would take another Keith Willis if that's what Ziggy ends up becoming!!! I would take that in a second. Willis was good when he was on the field!!! Gerald Williams wasn't too shabby in his day either!!! I think Ziggy started to make some splash plays at the end of the year. He had a sack and forced fumble against the Ratbirds and then a fumble recovery against the Dolphins to end the game. I think as the season wore on he started to get a better feel for the defense and things started to slow down for him. I do know one thing, the guy can get after the QB. I like the pick and will expect a big step forward for him this upcoming year to the point where he may actually take Brett Keisel's job.

Just my
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AkronSteel
    I would take another Keith Willis if that's what Ziggy ends up becoming!!! I would take that in a second. Willis was good when he was on the field!!! Gerald Williams wasn't too shabby in his day either!!! I think Ziggy started to make some splash plays at the end of the year. He had a sack and forced fumble against the Ratbirds and then a fumble recovery against the Dolphins to end the game. I think as the season wore on he started to get a better feel for the defense and things started to slow down for him. I do know one thing, the guy can get after the QB. I like the pick and will expect a big step forward for him this upcoming year to the point where he may actually take Brett Keisel's job.

Just my
    I would too. Both of those guys were solid veteran types. Keisel is another one. I think Ziggy will be in line with those guys. None of those guys made the Pro Bowl so far as I can recall... but all are/were nice complementary figures on the team. Nothing wrong with that at all.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Backup

User Info Menu

I have a feeling Ziggy will sneak up on us with a really good year next season.

For the guy's size he moves remarkably well. Take a look at the combine numbers , nobody with his size was putting up his type of numbers.

From what I read his responsibilities in college were limited to a 1 gap penetrator so in turn his learning curve in Lebeaus defense was steep. That being said as he learns more his athletic ability and fantastic motor will be able to show through on game days.

I have faith in the kid purely because of his attitude , work ethic and backround.

He's gonna be a big contributor for us for years , not get much press or hype but will do his job and do it very well. This pick reminds me of Heath in 2005.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think it's unfair to evaluate him at this point. I was however encouraged by his play late in the season. Probowler? That's anyone's guess but I don't believe he will be a bust.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

i would guess most teams picking at 32 dont see much of any contributions from their 1st rders

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    i would guess most teams picking at 32 dont see much of any contributions from their 1st rders

Especially 1st rounders who weren't even picked to start. Remember, at the beginning of the season we were only replacing two starters from one of the most dominant D's in recent memory and neither of them were on the line.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

2008 - P Merling, MIA
    2007 - Anthony Gonzalez, IND
    2006 - Kiwanuka, NYG
    2005 - L. Mankins, NE
    2004 - Ben Watson, NE
    2003 - T Brayton, OAK (Nnamdi picked 31st by OAK as well...)
    2002 - Patrick Ramsey Wash (OUCH!)
    2001 - Drew Brees, SD (nice)
    2000 - Trung Candidate, STL (haha)

Looking at the last decade, most guys drafted in spot 32 weren't really huge contributors right away. Some did end up being solid (Kiwanuka/Mankins). Only Brees was the truly great find in that spot.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285