Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerry Rhodes?

Starter

User Info Menu

Kerry Rhodes?

PFT.com

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal

At least the Jets know they are more than a kicker away.

The last time the team made a playoff run, they brought everyone back and drafted Mike Nugent. This time, there will be major changes. Here are some players that could be playing elsewhere next season.

Safety Kerry Rhodes: The New York Post writes that Rhodes' chances of returning are as likely "Rex Ryan running the New York Marathon." Ryan had a private conversation with Rhodes Monday he wouldn't speak about. But look for them to try to trade him. Ryan wants physical play from his safety and Rhodes is due a $2 million bonus in March.

Cornerbacks Lito Sheppard and Donald Strickland: The team is expected to release both players. So the Jets need a lot of help in the secondary.

Vernon Gholston: As mentioned in today's one-liners, the Newark Star-Ledger reports that "some in the organization are ready to move on" from the sixth pick in the 2008 draft. They could cut him with cap ramifications . . . since there won't be a cap.

Thomas Jones: We wrote about this Sunday; the team faces a difficult choice considering the veteran running back's salary.

Add it all up, and it's clear the Jets won't be standing pat in what is shaping up to be a very competitive AFC East.
    Woman: "Sir, what have you given us?"
    Benjamin Franklin: "A Republic, madam, if you can keep it."

[youtube:razli5ow]KFXuGIpsdE0[/youtube:razli5ow]

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Kerry Rhodes?

Rhodes is entering the prime of his career at age 27 with 5 years of starting experience under his belt. He had 1, 4, 5, 2, and 3 interceptions in those 5 seasons, with 5, 9, 10, 5, and 13 passes defensed in those seasons. I didn't realize that he wasn't known for his physical play, though. You'd think that a 6'3" 214 lbs. guy would flourish as a FS in an aggressive defense like that.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Rhodes is entering the prime of his career at age 27 with 5 years of starting experience under his belt. He had 1, 4, 5, 2, and 3 interceptions in those 5 seasons, with 5, 9, 10, 5, and 13 passes defensed in those seasons. I didn't realize that he wasn't known for his physical play, though. You'd think that a 6'3" 214 lbs. guy would flourish as a FS in an aggressive defense like that.
    The lack of physical play comment would be a concern I think for the Steelers if true. I'm sure they will be looking at the full range of DB options from retaining our players to FAs to draftees.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would trade a little bit of the physicality for someone that can make a play on the ball. Sure the huge hits are great on a highlight reel, but interceptions can change the course of a game. If he is afraid to tackle though, I'd pass. But what is he worth in trade value?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I remember Peter King with his usual East Coast bias was fellatio-ing him a couple of seasons ago praising him as the next great Safety. Even comparing him to Ronnie Lott. So I'm enjoying seeing his downfall more than I should.

Rhodes is talented though but has too big of an ego...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    I remember Peter King with his usual East Coast bias was fellatio-ing him a couple of seasons ago praising him as the next great Safety. Even comparing him to Ronnie Lott. So I'm enjoying seeing his downfall more than I should.

Rhodes is talented though but has too big of an ego...
    Your ego is writing checks your body can't cash.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I really think the Steelers have no choice to bring in a vet CB & S. Even if they end up getting a rookie in the draft that eventually starts opening day...by some miracle...Or if Lewis or Burnett take a big step next year. The secondary needs "Someone" to push Ike. There are many vets, most notably on the defensive side, that have become complacent. It is a volatile situation when players get too comfortable entrenched at their position after success or a SB. This team will always be right on the edge. It seems being a "Steeler Type of player" has only one fallback. It makes it extremely difficult to balance the Humble / Hunger personalities when the Steelers have success in this new era of the NFL. Happened after Cowher's SB...Then Tomlin's with the same core. Do it to me once...Shame on you. Do it to me twice...Shame on me. I hope the Rooney's took note. NOBODY should be left unchallenged.

As to Rhodes...Only if he is released. I would also consider Sheppard if he was released. I would be happier with Leigh Bodden until the young guys are ready but if he signs elsewhere, Sheppard might be the best bargain.

Legend

User Info Menu

I heard Rex Ryan saying his DBs were not communicating properly versus the Colts, there is no doubt Ryan is blaming his safety Rhodes partially for the secondary problems and confusion they had all game long back there...I think Peyton Manning may have had something to do with those problems as well.

If Rhodes is released and were willing to sign for a reasonable price, sure...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Kerry Rhodes says he wants to stay with Jets

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 27, 2010 9:23 PM ET

Speaking on SNY Wednesday night, safety Kerry Rhodes said he wants to remain with the Jets.

The bigger question is whether coach Rex Ryan feels the same way. Ryan and Rhodes spoke on Monday, and the head coach was unusually vague when asked about the player he benched for a short stretch late in the year.

Rhodes says he'll speak to Ryan again soon, and he has the option to stay or ask for a trade. But it would be very surprising if the Jets didn't listen to offers, no matter what Rhodes wants.

The Newark Star-Ledger says Rhodes isn't especially popular in the locker room, and his inconsistent tackling probably isn't popular with Ryan.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Forgive me, but is Clark gonna be unavailable for us? Cuz (when Troy is healthy), Clark is just fine.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.