Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If Kurt Warner Retires...

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: If Kurt Warner Retires...

I half remember something about Whiz not shaking Ben's hand.

What was the bottom line on that? Without a good excuse, it does make him look like a churl.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Backup

User Info Menu

Not a Whiz homer but as I have stated before wouldn't have an issue with him as HC...

Let me ask you this question, how would Tomlin and the Steelers do if Ben retired today?

How would Jim Caldwell and the Colts do if Peyton Manning retired today?

First off, no one knows the answer for sure. However many would conclude that most coaches / teams would struggle if their top 5 QB retired or was out for season. It isn't rocket science....A top 5 QB makes it a lot easier to win in the NFL...

So what makes a good HC...Based on the argument of this thread it would be a coach that can consistently win with or without a top QB....

Bill Cowher comes to mind....Only a few of his 15 or so seasons with a quality QB...

I just dont see the point of this post as it would hold true for the majority of coaches / teams...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    If Warner retires, the NFC west division champ might be 5-11 team.
    With all 5 wins coming within the division.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Matt Leinart's solution to becoming a better NFL QB this past offseason = train in mixed martial arts.
    martial arts is a great cardio workout and does wonders for reading defenses...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelfin
    Not a Whiz homer but as I have stated before wouldn't have an issue with him as HC...

Let me ask you this question, how would Tomlin and the Steelers do if Ben retired today?

How would Jim Caldwell and the Colts do if Peyton Manning retired today?

First off, no one knows the answer for sure. However many would conclude that most coaches / teams would struggle if their top 5 QB retired or was out for season. It isn't rocket science....A top 5 QB makes it a lot easier to win in the NFL...

So what makes a good HC...Based on the argument of this thread it would be a coach that can consistently win with or without a top QB....

Bill Cowher comes to mind....Only a few of his 15 or so seasons with a quality QB...

I just dont see the point of this post as it would hold true for the majority of coaches / teams...
    Cowher never won a Superbowl without Big Ben...

And one of the arguments has been that Whiz did a lot more with pretty much no talent around him - when in fact, he DID have a lot of talent, albeit mostly at offense. The fact that the Cards made the Superbowl last with Warner as the starter with no coincidence.

Anyhoo, a good HC is one who, in my opinion, is smart, gets the best out of his team and can put a winning team together on a consistent basis.

Legend

User Info Menu

Whiz was smart enough to replace Leinart with Warner...

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I disagree with a number of ideas in this thread - but the top one has to be that Kurt Warner is a top 5 QB in the NFL.....ummmm - No -

On his best days he needed a ton of talent to produce (i.e. Greatest Show on Turf, followed by Fitzgerald / Boldin / Breaston / even Hightower).

But Warner is barely a top 10 QB in this league right now.

In regards to the Cardinals dropping - well they are the Cardinals - however I think with their young emerging defense and with Beanie Wells getting his rookie season out of the way - a modest QB could still get them into the playoffs. Maybe it's Leinart, maybe it's someone else (Kyle Orton / Daunte Culpepper / Byron Leftwich...etc).

Keep in mind I'm just talking football here - I trust the Steelers got the guy (Tomlin) they wanted and they got him for the right reasons. I'm pulling for Whizenhunt, because he's a former coach of the Steelers and as long as we don't play him - I hope he wins games and helps the terrible franchise he became the head coach of.

But again - to reiterate - Kurt Warner Top 5 -

L.B.

Legend

User Info Menu

I mentioned this general idea in another thread, but it seems appropriate to expand on it here...

If Warner retires, I don't think that Whis will want to rely on Leinart to be his starter (if he does, just hand the division title to the Niners right now). I think he will want another veteran to lead this established offense.

Pete Carroll up in Seattle wants a young QB to develop, but he probably should use the #6 pick to get an OT to replace Walter Jones (somelike Russell Okung, Bruce Campbell, or Anthony Davis) instead of spending that pick on a QB like Jimmy Clausen or Sam Bradford and getting him killed behind that line. Carroll would love to have his old QB Leinart again (he's probably the only guy coaching the NFL who feels that way), so a trade that involves Leinart going to Seattle and Hasselbeck going to Seattle could be in the works.

Sure, Hasselbeck is 34 and has been brittle recently, but Warner is now 38 and came to the desert 5 years ago with a reputation of being somewhat brittle as well. The o-line in Arizona is better than the o-line in Seattle, so Hasselbeck could last longer in the desert, plus with better weapons around him, he could likely get the ball out quicker and preserve his body. The Cardinals could continue winning for a few more years with Matt Hasselbeck at QB.

If such a trade were on the table, which team would blink first? If Warner retires, I think Whis would prefer Hasselbeck to Leinart, and I think Carroll would prefer Leinart to Hasselbeck.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    ...Do not be surprised if we see a sudden collapse from the Cards. And I'm talking a significant collapse.

Because Warner is easily a top 5 QB, and the real reason behind Whiz's success. And all those people who found themselves pining for Whizenhunt at HC will be left biting their tongues. You watch.
    Whis is smart enough to know his goose is cooked when Warner leaves which is why they took Beenie Wells. He is setting up for the offense to devolve into old style "Cowher ball" when Warner hangs it up. Warner is a unique talent who probably reads defenses as well as anyone and gets rid of the ball as fast as any QB I have ever seen.

Anyone who doesn't give him his due is deluding themseleves. He has single handedly carried on his back two franchises who were prerennial losers to the Super Bowl. He showed the league that Fitz had All Pro abilities. Think Fitz gets the attention he gets now if Leinert is QB?

The Cards will have real issues when Warner leaves even playing in the weakest of weak NFC West which has inflated their success rate exponentially. Playing in the NFC West has spotted the Cards 4 or 5 wins each of the last 3 years.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I disagree Lonbull... Kurt Warner is definitely a top 10 QB in the NFL... He is top 5 actually. What is so wrong with a good QB having good WR's and producing? Maybe I read it wrong but it sounds like a QB has to have average talent surrounding him to be considered good?

Marino, Montana, Elway... You name them and they all had great WR's. It's no different then those who said Ben was a game manager... Why the hell couldn't all these other game managers win?

Warner is really good, but he is also old and should retire after that last hit.