Thread: Steelers promote Fichtner to quarterbacks coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers promote Fichtner to quarterbacks coach

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_662971.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 62971.html[/url]

The Steelers today promoted offensive assistant Randy Fichtner to quarterbacks coach. Fichtner replaces Ken Anderson, who retired after three seasons with the team.

Fichtner was hired to coach Steelers wide receivers in 2007. This is his first NFL job as a quarterbacks coach. He coached quarterbacks in college at Memphis and Arkansas State. Fichtner and coach Mike Tomlin were on the same staff at Arkansas State from 1997-98.

The Steelers will hire a new wide receivers coach to replace Fichtner. Last week, the Steelers interviewed former San Francisco 49ers assistant Al Everest for their special-teams coordinator vacancy.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers promote Fichtner to quarterbacks coach

Fichtner moves from WRs to QBs
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010

By BOB LABRIOLA
    Steelers.com
    When Ken Anderson retired just days after the 2009 season ended, Coach Mike Tomlin knew he would have to find a new quarterbacks coach. It turns out he didn’t have to look much farther than down the hall.

Randy Fichtner, hired by Tomlin to coach the wide receivers in 2007, has been moved to quarterbacks coach. The change in job description means Fichtner goes from Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace to working with Ben Roethlisberger and Dennis Dixon, with Charlie Batch currently without a contract.

“Randy has extensive experience coaching quarterbacks on the collegiate level, some of whom had pro opportunities,” said Tomlin. “He has a familiarity with how we do business. He has a personal relationship with Ben. It’s a natural, a seamless transition for us.”

Before being hired by Tomlin as part of his initial staff of assistants, Fichtner coached quarterbacks at three different places in the college ranks – from 1990-93 at Memphis, from 1997-2000 at Arkansas State and from 2001-06 at Memphis when he also was the offensive coordinator.

On the surface, the move from coaching college quarterbacks to NFL quarterbacks might seem to be a simple one based on the talent differential, but it also can be seen as more challenging because of the status the successful professionals enjoy.

“It’s all difficult. It all has its challenges,” said Tomlin about coaching superstars. “It depends on the mentality of the guy. I think Ben sees himself as an average guy, so it’s a non-issue.”
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

maybe I'm reaching but it looks like we are trying to save money with our coaching staff...

This includes the Tomlin hire...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    maybe I'm reaching but it looks like we are trying to save money with our coaching staff...

Nothing wrong with saving some loot. Especially when you do as well with your savings as others are doing in their frivolity.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

I don't have a problem if they saved $ with the Tomlin hire, they just got good value for their money!

This QB coach promotion certainly has the positives the author listed - familiarity with the system, with Ben. But as soon as i read it I thought of a flip side - here's a guy that is maybe not cojoney enough to tell Ben no when the occasion demands.

And where does this leave Charlie Batch? I was hoping so much he'd be QB coach, so he could stay Steeler.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Rookie

User Info Menu

I'm not worried about Fichtner not having the cajones to deal with Ben...He's been on the staff for three years and knows the program...

He is also apparently being groomed for OC when Arians eventually leaves...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    I'm not worried about Fichtner not having the cajones to deal with Ben...He's been on the staff for three years and knows the program...

He is also apparently being groomed for OC when Arians eventually leaves...

you don't say no to Ben... you say "Elway used to..."
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"