Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Steelers Close to Hiring Everest

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,879

    Steelers Close to Hiring Everest

    Per PPG today:

    Steelers close to hiring special teams coach

    Tuesday, January 19, 2010
    Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

    The Steelers are close to hiring a new special teams coordinator -- Al Everest, who spent the past three seasons in a similar role with the San Francisco 49ers.

    Everest, 59, has visited with Coach Mike Tomlin and is expected to reach agreement with the team to replace Bob Ligashesky, who was fired after the season.

    Everest's contract was not renewed by the 49ers, who hired Kurt Schottenheimer as his replacement.

    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10019/10 ... z0d5413Zd8
    There's change you can believe in people....

  2. #2

    Re: Steelers Close to Hiring Everest

    Everest's STs perfromed well in New Orleans...

    I like a guy who has the balls to call a reverse on a KO return...
    I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns.

  3. #3
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,908

    Re: Steelers Close to Hiring Everest

    If we sign Everest to be our special teams coach, then we have to draft Terrence Cody in the first round, right? Cody was already an accomplished FG blocker on the college level, but imagine how much better he could be if Mount Cody was coached up by Mount Everest!

    Okay, that was pretty bad...

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer costanza2k1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Steelers Close to Hiring Everest

    Quote Originally Posted by Jooser
    Per PPG today:

    Steelers close to hiring special teams coach

    Tuesday, January 19, 2010
    Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

    The Steelers are close to hiring a new special teams coordinator -- Al Everest, who spent the past three seasons in a similar role with the San Francisco 49ers.

    Everest, 59, has visited with Coach Mike Tomlin and is expected to reach agreement with the team to replace Bob Ligashesky, who was fired after the season.

    Everest's contract was not renewed by the 49ers, who hired Kurt Schottenheimer as his replacement.

    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10019/10 ... z0d5413Zd8
    There's change you can believe in people....

    Why the rolly eyes? What's wrong with this change? Everest's STs have been solid, in fact in this area everyone is ripping into Singletary in hiring a lesser coach.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

  5. #5
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,296

    Re: Steelers Close to Hiring Everest

    I'm sorta wondering why his contract wasn't renewed by the 49ers. Does anybody know?
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer costanza2k1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Steelers Close to Hiring Everest

    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    I'm sorta wondering why his contract wasn't renewed by the 49ers. Does anybody know?
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... st-mystery
    Around the NFC West: Everest mystery
    January, 19, 2010
    JAN 19
    9:32
    AM ET
    Email Print Share
    By Mike Sando
    Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee quotes 49ers coach Mike Singletary as saying the team has made finding a return specialist a high priority this offseason. Singletary also indicated that a personal matter led to Al Everest's departure as special-teams coach, stressing that the botched reverse at Seattle wasn't the reason for a change. Singletary: "If I was that shallow as a coach, I need to be out of the game. It was just something that Al needs to take care of." Everest subsequently interviewed with the Steelers for their job as special-teams coach.

    Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat says new 49ers special-teams coach Kurt Schottenheimer held the same job with the Chiefs when 49ers defensive coordinator Greg Manusky was a top special-teams player for Kansas City. Maiocco: "Schottenheimer was out of coaching in 2009. He said he studied the principles of the spread offense in visits to Texas A&M and Illinois. He is defensive coordinator this week at the East-West Shrine Game in Orlando, so he is getting a head start evaluating draft-eligible players."

    Dan Brown of the San Jose Mercury News quotes Singletary as saying Everest was "doing a fine job" for the 49ers. Why, then, would the 49ers let his contract expire, allowing Everest to surface as a candidate with the Steelers? Singletary was vague.

    John Crumpacker of the San Francisco Chronicle quotes Singletary this way on Everest: "I think Al was doing a good job during the year, but there were some things I had to deal with personally. It was just something Al needed to take care of. I had to let him go.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    14,349

    Re: Steelers Close to Hiring Everest

    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85
    I'm sorta wondering why his contract wasn't renewed by the 49ers. Does anybody know?
    I think someone said he called a reverse on a KR and they fumbled the xchange. The HC wasn't in on it and was po'ed. Singletary... doesn't like surprises.

  8. #8
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,107

    Re: Steelers Close to Hiring Everest

    I hope the "personal issues" that had to be dealt with weren't things like emailing porn to the whole league.

  9. #9

    Re: Steelers Close to Hiring Everest

    Singleton always appeared to me to be just on the inside line of unstable. He is certainly a guy that likes to run the show and doesn't like surprises. I believe the reverse played a HUGE role. I think words were exchanged and possibly Everest had enough. It's anyone's guess but his STs were certainly better than ours.

  10. #10
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,908

    Re: Steelers Close to Hiring Everest

    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Singleton always appeared to me to be just on the inside line of unstable. He is certainly a guy that likes to run the show and doesn't like surprises. I believe the reverse played a HUGE role. I think words were exchanged and possibly Everest had enough. It's anyone's guess but his STs were certainly better than ours.
    A guy with eyes like this being unstable?




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •