Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rooney ruling the Steelers' roost

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Rooney ruling the Steelers' roost

Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    I noticed the discrepancies between the original and the Harris article as well-

But in addition to questioning Harris' agenda- I also question Art Jr's thought process in airing these thoughts to the media. I can't see Dan doing this under any circumstances.

These comments indicate that AR II believes:

- The team does not run the ball either consistently enough, nor successfully enough when it does run.
    I'm glad he too noticed this too....

- That Ben is both part of the problem and solution. Recognizing Ben's seeming regression in quick reads.

- That the offensive line scheme, while their performance as a unit improved from last season- still may not be best suited for the physical skills of the players on the team.

- That the defense's short comings are a reflection of two key injuries to Troy and Arron. Along with the seeming unwillingness and/or inability of the staff to draft and coach the young players to be productive in a shorter period of time.
    I hope he too noticed this too....

IMO- what this does- is sets the stage for Art II to fire Tomlin and anybody else he deems fit, should the team not perform up to a level he believes it should in 2010. Art has given MT the rope- and it's up to him to determine how the rope is used.
    You lost me on the last one... I think you bought into the article on the fire Tomlin angle. Tomlin isn't going anywhere.. They are going to use this last year to try to save a few 100K.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow...this article completely smacks of red journalism. First off, why would anyone believe that Rooney's statements were the first time he has expressed them to anyone, especially Tomlin? Now it might be possible that RII spoke with Tomlin about beefing up the run game, but Tomlin suggested that BA and Ben wouldn't take it too well. To ratchet up the change and help Tomlin make the case, Rooney goes public putting the FO's wishes on record. Seems a convoluted way of doing things, but maybe this is the new management personality when you are dealing with a $100M man.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wow, looking at what Art II actually said v what was put in by the writer is amazing. This guy stretched further than Plastic Man on most of that. It was like he had an opinion article he wanted to write and then threw some of Art II's words in to give it credence.

Legend

User Info Menu

The same as Tomlin's "unleash hell" statement, many of these statements would have been best left private. Hid father would have never made these types of comments or even vaguely answered these questions in this fashion.

You want to run the ball better, take it up with Tonmlin.

You want Ben to take less sacks, take it up with Tomlin.

You want better red zone efficiency, take it up with Tomlin.

You want the line to be more physical, take it up with Tomlin.

You don't like the draft picks, take it up with Colbert and Tomlin.

His opinions on these subjects should have been between himself and Tomlin and/or Colbert.

Just my opinion, it doesn't feel like the last 40 years.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

This was never his style with Cowher. Is it possible that Rooney felt that if Tomlin could publically call out members of his squad...that he could be called out as well? A little how does that feel? It's really hard to say without being in the room when he was interviewed.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope he doesn't mean the old, "establish the run game" then pass off that.

CUZ THOSE DAYS ARE BY GONE.

It's a passing league. You have to throw the ball early & often, to be a long-term winner in today's NFL. Not saying pass-happy, mind you.

But you cannot go with the run-to-establish-the-pass mindset anymore.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    I hope he doesn't mean the old, "establish the run game" then pass off that.

CUZ THOSE DAYS ARE BY GONE.

It's a passing league. You have to throw the ball early & often, to be a long-term winner in today's NFL. Not saying pass-happy, mind you.

But you cannot go with the run-to-establish-the-pass mindset anymore.
    I don't think it matters... just do what will expose the D you are playing.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    Wow...this article completely smacks of red journalism. First off, why would anyone believe that Rooney's statements were the first time he has expressed them to anyone, especially Tomlin? Now it might be possible that RII spoke with Tomlin about beefing up the run game, but Tomlin suggested that BA and Ben wouldn't take it too well. To ratchet up the change and help Tomlin make the case, Rooney goes public putting the FO's wishes on record. Seems a convoluted way of doing things, but maybe this is the new management personality when you are dealing with a $100M man.
    Anytime you give a guy $100M you are telling him he has power... ESPECIALLY when the Steelers pay that kind of money.

I think Ben was being very honest in his ESPN 60 interview when he said he was an azzz to his teammates. Who would stay humble? I wouldn't. Dude was the last guy in the room on draft night... my sister said after the GB game that she couldn't imagine Ben being humble if God entered the room after that throw...

LOL.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by ANPSTEEL
    I noticed the discrepancies between the original and the Harris article as well-

But in addition to questioning Harris' agenda- I also question Art Jr's thought process in airing these thoughts to the media. I can't see Dan doing this under any circumstances.

These comments indicate that AR II believes:

- The team does not run the ball either consistently enough, nor successfully enough when it does run.

- That Ben is both part of the problem and solution. Recognizing Ben's seeming regression in quick reads.

- That the offensive line scheme, while their performance as a unit improved from last season- still may not be best suited for the physical skills of the players on the team.

- That the defense's short comings are a reflection of two key injuries to Troy and Arron. Along with the seeming unwillingness and/or inability of the staff to draft and coach the young players to be productive in a shorter period of time.
    I hope he too noticed this too....

IMO- what this does- is sets the stage for Art II to fire Tomlin and anybody else he deems fit, should the team not perform up to a level he believes it should in 2010. Art has given MT the rope- and it's up to him to determine how the rope is used.
    You lost me on the last one... I think you bought into the article on the fire Tomlin angle. Tomlin isn't going anywhere.. They are going to use this last year to try to save a few 100K.
    In the original article, ARII infers that big changes were on the way, had the team not recovered from the 5 game losing streak- to win the last three.

From those statements, and the fact that he (ARII) came out in a public forum pronouncing his position on other Steeler related "issues" - I made the connection.

To me this smacks of- "...I'm not going to tell you who you have to hire or fire- but recognize the issues the team has- solve them, or not, at your own peril." and by doing so publicly, ARII has laid down the challenge.

That is my interpretation- which may, or may not, be accurate.