Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Incentivizing games for teams with locked playoff seeding

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Incentivizing games for teams with locked playoff seeding

I've been thinking about this whole "rest the starters" BS that can artificially affect playoff scenarios. The league needs to start offering incentives to teams whose playoff position is locked to win games. This will maximize the number of meaningful games and introduce the least amount of artificiality into playoff scenarios.

NOTE: I'm not begrudging the Jets. Read my posts. You'll see I'm high on the Jets. I'm rooting for them to win the SB. I think it would be real poetic justice if they win it, particularly if they beat Minnesota in the big dance.

INCENTIVES

I'm thinking these will have to be awarded for "wins in games that have no effect on playoff seeding" and could come in several forms ...

1. If the team is locked at the #1 seed, then they could be offered choice of opponent coming out of the Wild Card round, instead of lowest-seed. So, now a team can pick an opponent who is on the decline or missing a key starter. Conversely, they could avoid an opponent with whom they don't match up well (e.g. IND doesn't match up well with HOU) or avoid a team that is really peaking. Or they could stick two really evenly matched teams with each other in a super physical wear/tear divisional playoff.

2. They could get week16, week17 MNF games NEXT SEASON giving them the option of seeing how things play out. So, they could have the option of resting key starters next year if absolutely necessary.

3. They could get additional Thursday Night games NEXT SEASON. Playing on Thursday is an advantage as your TNF opponent also has the short week, but you get 10 days rest to 7 days rest for your next opponent.

4. Advantage in the "floating games." Every team plays two "adjust games" against the divisions in the same conference where they don't play everybody. You play the teams that finished in the same positional standing within division that you did. Well, you could offer "choice of teams" as an incentive or you could give them teams that are 1 notch down from same-standing (everyone else adjusts).

Any other ideas out there?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Incentivizing games for teams with locked playoff seeding

1) I like...I think that could work...and maybe it should already work that way. But, what keeps the number 2 from laying down?

2 and 3) I'm not crazy about the idea of strengthening a championship team next season. Generally, we give the advantage next season to those teams that do poorly. I like it that way.

4) I don't think I understand that scenerio.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I've always backed the "pick your opponent" reward for top seeded teams. That would definitely spice things up and possibly create new rivalries. think of a team basically getting called out. It would bring out a new fire in them perhaps. I favor this in all sports playoff systems.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    I've always backed the "pick your opponent" reward for top seeded teams. That would definitely spice things up and possibly create new rivalries. think of a team basically getting called out. It would bring out a new fire in them perhaps. I favor this in all sports playoff systems.
    I think resting your starters pretty much is picking who you want to play.. or not play. Look at Wes Welker... If I'm a cheat fan I'm mad Welker was hurt in a meaningless game. I think winning a top seed or a division should have a reward. I don't think any team cares about incentives for next year except for draft picks.. and since the goal is a SB and the 32nd pick... I think it's fine the way it is. If we are the top seed next year I doubt we want our starters playing all out in a meaningless game that puts the Pats* or Colts in the 6th seed.

Win games and control your own destiny. Fans may get the shaft but any true fan knows the last 2 weeks are a gamble.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    I think resting your starters pretty much is picking who you want to play.. or not play. Look at Wes Welker... If I'm a cheat fan I'm mad Welker was hurt in a meaningless game. I think winning a top seed or a division should have a reward. I don't think any team cares about incentives for next year except for draft picks.. and since the goal is a SB and the 32nd pick... I think it's fine the way it is. If we are the top seed next year I doubt we want our starters playing all out in a meaningless game that puts the Pats* or Colts in the 6th seed.

Win games and control your own destiny. Fans may get the shaft but any true fan knows the last 2 weeks are a gamble.
    Yeah, you are most likely right. But for fans sake, it would be reeeaaaally sweet if they had the "Selection Show" Monday after the regular season ended. Cameras at every team's complex with the Coach making the announcement of which team they pick to play. then interviews with coaches/players afterwards. Plus fanbases can argue about getting called out. Would create a lot of drama and make the matchups more juicy.

Geez, that makes it sound like I watch wrestling or something everyday. But I don't....

Oh well, it sounds cool anyway.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Iron Shiek]
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by "Iron Shiek":3hh63zg8

Yeah, you are most likely right. But for fans sake, it would be reeeaaaally sweet if they had the "Selection Show" Monday after the regular season ended. Cameras at every team's complex with the Coach making the announcement of which team they pick to play. then interviews with coaches/players afterwards. Plus fanbases can argue about getting called out. Would create a lot of drama and make the matchups more juicy.

Geez, that makes it sound like I watch wrestling or something everyday. But I don't....

Oh well, it sounds cool anyway.[/quote:3hh63zg8]

I would love to see Harrison slobbering into the mic..."oooo yeah we are goin' to wipe the floor with those pussies". Hey adding a wrestling element isn't a terrible idea.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

They could charge ppv for that selection show... lol
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Seriously, make it like a 2 hour special...HUUUGE ratings.

Legend

User Info Menu

They could have staged press conference fights to amp up the hype. Harrison and Ray Ray...who wouldn't pay to see that right thur!
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bring back Pipers Pit! And then have Casey Hampton come out and turn on Troy Polamalu...

HAHA