Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Incentivizing games for teams with locked playoff seeding

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Incentivizing games for teams with locked playoff seeding

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    Bring back Pipers Pit! And then have Casey Hampton come out and turn on Troy Polamalu...

HAHA
    Now that's what I'm talkin' about! You might be onto a billion dollar idea.
    Trolls are people too.

tomco09

Here's an idea, any team that rests starters for a play-off game should forfeit roster spots next season. In other words next season you can only have 44 roster spots if you rest one player, so on and so forth. This way if a starter goes down you may have to dip into the practice squad, it'll create more competition and after all the whole reason you have back-ups is for them to step in when the starter goes down
    These games may seem worthless to 1st and 2nd seeded teams but what about teams that walk play-offs from that BS. The integrity of the game is compromised.

Look at it this way, do you go to a pre-season game and drop $80-90 bucks a ticket to see back-ups? than why should it be ok now? What about the fact that they want to extend the season to 18 games ? Should starters not play the last 3 or 4 games because it's worthless ?

Just an idea

Legend

User Info Menu

The league you describe already existed. But after Tommy Maddox won league MVP inits only season, they folded.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomco09
    Here's an idea, any team that rests starters for a play-off game should forfeit roster spots next season. In other words next season you can only have 44 roster spots if you rest one player, so on and so forth. This way if a starter goes down you may have to dip into the practice squad, it'll create more competition and after all the whole reason you have back-ups is for them to step in when the starter goes down
    These games may seem worthless to 1st and 2nd seeded teams but what about teams that walk play-offs from that BS. The integrity of the game is compromised.

Look at it this way, do you go to a pre-season game and drop $80-90 bucks a ticket to see back-ups? than why should it be ok now? What about the fact that they want to extend the season to 18 games ? Should starters not play the last 3 or 4 games because it's worthless ?

You won't be able to prove it. These teams will just put their starters on the Injury Report with "strained labia" or "ruptured cuticle" or "pulled mangina". It would never work!

Just an idea
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

Season ticket holders do pay the same price for preseason games as we do for regular season games.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The problem is, none of these incentives would have a bearing on a team that has locked up the #1 or #2 seed. They could win the prize (extra draft picks, pick an opponent, whatever) and still rest their starters. The benefits would have to be attched to 'meaningless games', and they would have to remain in the current year because we dont want to overbalance the league with any dominant teams except the Steelers

For instance, each 'meaningless game' a team wins gives them another roster spot for the duration of their run through the playoffs.

Or even more crude, each meaningless game won splits a $1,000,000 bonus from the league between all players and coaches.

Give them a palatable incentive that doesnt affect the balance of the league.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only thing that bothered me about this year's "resting of starters" was that the Colts started the game as if they wanted to win it and then decided to call it quits. The reward for securing the #1 seed is having the option to rest your starters if you choose to do so. Change nothing, earn the privilege and move into the playoffs, these teams do not owe anything to any other team in the league.

Win your games and get into the playoffs, lose your games and you have to count on the good teams' backups to win a game, too bad. The Steelers have no one to blame but themselves for this year's disappointing finish.

Season ticket holders understand that week 17 may been a pre-season game. The Colts fans were upset, because, they had a chance at history. I'd be upset as well if the Steelers bailed on an undefeated season in week 16. Even if they (the Colts) win the SB this year, they'll be just another SB winner, nothing special.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    The only thing that bothered me about this year's "resting of starters" was that the Colts started the game as if they wanted to win it and then decided to call it quits. The reward for securing the #1 seed is having the option to rest your starters if you choose to do so. Change nothing, earn the privilege and move into the playoffs, these teams do not owe anything to any other team in the league.

Win your games and get into the playoffs, lose your games and you have to count on the good teams' backups to win a game, too bad. The Steelers have no one to blame but themselves for this year's disappointing finish.

Season ticket holders understand that week 17 may been a pre-season game. The Colts fans were upset, because, they had a chance at history. I'd be upset as well if the Steelers bailed on an undefeated season in week 16. Even if they win the SB this year, they'll be just another SB winner, nothing special.

Pappy
    I agree with you on this one. Teams earn the right to rest their starters. Goodell is trying to micro manage everything.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    The league you describe already existed. But after Tommy Maddox won league MVP inits only season, they folded.
    Haha... great comment. Tommy Maddox and He Hate Me. Two players who really parlayed their time in the league.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ok, Chadman can see the frustration we have with teams resting starters after being guarenteed a play-off position...but....

Lets say we find a system that forces teams to play their stars in the last couple of rounds, regardless of the importance of those games....

and lets say the Steelers are a team that are playing meaningless games, but are forced to play the stars...

And lets say the Steelers are odds on to win the SB, and they attract the biggest crowds & TV ratings in the country...

and lets say Ben gets his head knocked off by a 2nd rate LB from Cleveland, ending Ben's season, and killing the Steelers chance of winning the SB...in a game that means nothing...

Tell Chadman this- how does that sit with the Steeler fans? The TV watching nation? The NFL bean counters that just saw the biggest SB drawcard get hurt for no reason?

Winning your division gives you the reward of being able to rest your starters. It's not a bad thing.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE