Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Revis vs Timmons

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Revis vs Timmons

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Wow.....sure wish the Steelers had drafted Ed Reed way back when. And Adrian Peterson too. Oh, and Jake Long. And Andre Johnson.

The problem IS NOT that the Steelers drafted Timmons in Round 1.

The problem IS NOT that the Steelers leaked info on wanting Revis.

The problem is, after missing on Revis, in every subsequent draft, they have not found a CB to do the job opposite Ike Taylor. It could be a by-product of 'Drafting Best Player Available', or poor evaluation of rookies, or poor evaluation of current roster players.

Regardless, if the Steelers had picked up 1 CB (Aqib Talib anyone?) of note, then we wouldn't keep hearing the bitching & moaning about 'missing Revis & getting Timmons'.

Don't be hating Timmons because he isn't Revis.
    We seem to miss a lot on positions of need. Go check the draft history on CB, WR, LB, and curiously, TE. Only reason we aren't totally barren in the LB department is we used a first and second round pick on two LB'ers. I suspect the only way we come across a stud CB is to use a first rounder on one. Ike is the best we have and he has major holes (zone coverage).

Steelers would be wise to start trading away all their day 3 picks for all Day 2 picks.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Didn't the Browns pass on Adrian Peterson?

I remember the week 1 highlights on NFLN showed AP on the bench talking to the camera about "See what the Browns missed. They passed me up." LMAO!!

Just sayin.'

Legend

User Info Menu

Wow.....sure wish the Steelers had drafted Ed Reed way back when. And Adrian Peterson too. Oh, and Jake Long. And Andre Johnson.

The problem is, after missing on Revis, in every subsequent draft, they have not found a CB to do the job opposite Ike Taylor. It could be a by-product of 'Drafting Best Player Available', or poor evaluation of rookies, or poor evaluation of current roster players.

Regardless, if the Steelers had picked up 1 CB (Aqib Talib anyone?) of note, then we wouldn't keep hearing the bitching & moaning about 'missing Revis & getting Timmons'.

And Ed Bouchette likes to pass his opinions as fact. Frequently.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think hate for Timmons is mixed up with hate for the choice given the draft position. I held out on any opinions on Timmons until pretty much this year. From what I've seen, I have to say I'm disappointed with his performance-to-draft-position ratio. I think he can still step up his game to a #15 pick, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I do think the Timmons selection involved a bit of being enamored of his athleticism. It's like buying a good house. You can't allow yourself to fall in love with any one house. Then your vision becomes narrow and you start missing the beauty and value of other homes on the market, not to mention losing good negotiating position.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility

I think hate for Timmons is mixed up with hate for the choice given the draft position. I held out on any opinions on Timmons until pretty much this year. From what I've seen, I have to say I'm disappointed with his performance-to-draft-position ratio. I think he can still step up his game to a #15 pick, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I do think the Timmons selection involved a bit of being enamored of his athleticism. It's like buying a good house. You can't allow yourself to fall in love with any one house. Then your vision becomes narrow and you start missing the beauty and value of other homes on the market, not to mention losing good negotiating position.
    I'm notta Timmons hater. I just think 15 was a little high for a guy w/ a lot of question marks. Especially w/ the talent at LB in that draft.
    I was in love w/ David Harris that draft b/c he was NFL ready ... notta project.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    IMHO it is a lot easier to find an ILB in the middle rounds than it is to find a shut down CB.

Flawed thinking in the Steelers war room that day if they honestly would have taken Timmons over Revis if both were sitting there.
    You mean someone like the guy we all wanted out becuase he didn't make enough plays?

Larry Foote?
    I didn't want Foote out. He was solid.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    By the way, who "spilled the beans" and allowed people to know we were going to pick Revis if available? Which, inevitably gave the Jets the ability to trade up to the spot before us to draft him?
    Actually it was us that kinda got screwed. We were interested in Revis and possibly you guys as well, which is why the Jets traded up before both of our picks. We ended up with Leon Hall a couple of picks later, which wasn't a bad consolation prize.

No Revis, but a 2nd team All-Pro player is not bad...

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Mister Pittsburgh]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":2gnsq7s1
    IMHO it is a lot easier to find an ILB in the middle rounds than it is to find a shut down CB.

Flawed thinking in the Steelers war room that day if they honestly would have taken Timmons over Revis if both were sitting there.
    You mean someone like the guy we all wanted out becuase he didn't make enough plays?

Larry Foote?
    I didn't want Foote out. He was solid.[/quote:2gnsq7s1]

I didn't want Foote out either. I thought he was very solid against the run. More importantly, he knew his assignments, and allowed others to make plays.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[quote=phillyesq]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":3vr4z97p

Larry Foote?
    I didn't want Foote out. He was solid.
    I didn't want Foote out either. I thought he was very solid against the run. More importantly, he knew his assignments, and allowed others to make plays.[/quote:3vr4z97p]
    He's a FA. Bring him back? Nah...I liked Foote too, but he didn't make enough spalsh plays, which is why he's in Detroit. Timmons will be fine. I'd just like a bit more consistency vs. the run.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is there a point to this thread?

Revis was already selected. He is a Jet.

Timmons wasn't selected so we took him. He is a Steeler.

We had no chance to select Revis because he was taken. What exactly are we dwelling on. Seems pretty simple to me.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"