Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Revis vs Timmons

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Revis vs Timmons

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Is there a point to this thread?

Revis was already selected. He is a Jet.

Timmons wasn't selected so we took him. He is a Steeler.

We had no chance to select Revis because he was taken. What exactly are we dwelling on. Seems pretty simple to me.
    What could have been. Seems pretty simple to me. :P

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

As I remember it, there were other CB's there too. Like Jim said, Hall is a 2nd teamer. Ain't too shabby for a CB.

I'd make that trade any day. Timmons for Hall. As long as Foote would've stayed. But hey, this is a 'ridiculous' thread so why talk about it.

6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

We didn't pass on Revis... I don't understand the Timmons hate either. I don't buy the "even if Revis was there" we take Timmons. People can say anything about what they woulda done when there is no woulda to hold them to...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

as mentioned hall and even aaron ross went a few picks later (along with 2 safties).

so there were plenty of secondary help still available if they were interested in taking a corner.

dont forget we just released porter ,had very average clark haggans on the other side, and supeer sub harrison going into his 1st season as a starter

Legend

User Info Menu

We play a 3-4 and OLB's are super important in our D. Timmons still might be the best OLB we have.

I wouldn't be surprised in a couple years if Timmons and Woodley are the best pair of 3-4 OLBs ever seen. It's time to aknowledge, James Harrison has one move and is limited. It's time to make way for LT on the outside. No one in the league has Timmons burst. Not even Dwight Freeney who's probably the closest.

Timmons could be lethal off the edge. But Harrison had a great season and mucked up the plans.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If we really wanna talk "why didn't we", why didn't we take Marino in '83?

We'd be on our Stairway to Nine right now (not Seven).
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    I remember wanting Revis and David Little in that draft.
    I assume you mean David Harris. But David Little was a solid ILB in his own right once upon a time...

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Wow.....sure wish the Steelers had drafted Ed Reed way back when. And Adrian Peterson too. Oh, and Jake Long. And Andre Johnson.

The problem IS NOT that the Steelers drafted Timmons in Round 1.

The problem IS NOT that the Steelers leaked info on wanting Revis.

The problem is, after missing on Revis, in every subsequent draft, they have not found a CB to do the job opposite Ike Taylor. It could be a by-product of 'Drafting Best Player Available', or poor evaluation of rookies, or poor evaluation of current roster players.

Regardless, if the Steelers had picked up 1 CB (Aqib Talib anyone?) of note, then we wouldn't keep hearing the bitching & moaning about 'missing Revis & getting Timmons'.

Don't be hating Timmons because he isn't Revis.
    I think hate for Timmons is mixed up with hate for the choice given the draft position. I held out on any opinions on Timmons until pretty much this year. From what I've seen, I have to say I'm disappointed with his performance-to-draft-position ratio. I think he can still step up his game to a #15 pick, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I do think the Timmons selection involved a bit of being enamored of his athleticism. It's like buying a good house. You can't allow yourself to fall in love with any one house. Then your vision becomes narrow and you start missing the beauty and value of other homes on the market, not to mention losing good negotiating position.
    It was his first year as starter. I thought he played pretty well. He is an OLB and he had to convert into ILB. He is still very young.

You may want to check 2007 Draft and the players taken in Rd 1:

1- J Russell --- Bust
    5 - Levi Brown --- You don't draft a RT at No.5
    6 - Laron Landry -- Average at best. Apart from boom hits can't do anything.
    8 - Jamal Anderson -- Bust as per performance-to-draft-position
    9 - Ted Ginn - Bust
    10 - Amobi Okoye - Bust
    12 - M Lynch -- Nutcase
    13 - A Carriker -- Pitt Live Board Fav.--- Bust
    16 - Justin Herrell -- Bust
    17 - J Moss -- Is he working in McD??
    22 - B Quinn -- Bust
    24 - B Meriweather -- Average S at best.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    We play a 3-4 and OLB's are super important in our D. Timmons still might be the best OLB we have.

I wouldn't be surprised in a couple years if Timmons and Woodley are the best pair of 3-4 OLBs ever seen. It's time to aknowledge, James Harrison has one move and is limited. It's time to make way for LT on the outside. No one in the league has Timmons burst. Not even Dwight Freeney who's probably the closest.

Timmons could be lethal off the edge. But Harrison had a great season and mucked up the plans.
    Harrison did not have just one good year. In his 3 seasons as a starter, he has 278 tackles, 34.5 sacks, 8 passes defensed, 2 interceptions, and 19 forced fumbles.

Find me another linebacker who has had a 3 year stretch that impressive, aside from the other guy named Lawrence T. (and I'm not talking about Timmons).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

yeah, if thats "mucking up the plans" for timmons starting out at OLB....i'll take it every time