Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Revis vs Timmons

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Revis vs Timmons

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Wow.....sure wish the Steelers had drafted Ed Reed way back when. And Adrian Peterson too. Oh, and Jake Long. And Andre Johnson.

The problem IS NOT that the Steelers drafted Timmons in Round 1.

The problem IS NOT that the Steelers leaked info on wanting Revis.

The problem is, after missing on Revis, in every subsequent draft, they have not found a CB to do the job opposite Ike Taylor. It could be a by-product of 'Drafting Best Player Available', or poor evaluation of rookies, or poor evaluation of current roster players.

Regardless, if the Steelers had picked up 1 CB (Aqib Talib anyone?) of note, then we wouldn't keep hearing the bitching & moaning about 'missing Revis & getting Timmons'.

Don't be hating Timmons because he isn't Revis.
    I think hate for Timmons is mixed up with hate for the choice given the draft position. I held out on any opinions on Timmons until pretty much this year. From what I've seen, I have to say I'm disappointed with his performance-to-draft-position ratio. I think he can still step up his game to a #15 pick, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I do think the Timmons selection involved a bit of being enamored of his athleticism. It's like buying a good house. You can't allow yourself to fall in love with any one house. Then your vision becomes narrow and you start missing the beauty and value of other homes on the market, not to mention losing good negotiating position.
    It was his first year as starter. I thought he played pretty well. He is an OLB and he had to convert into ILB. He is still very young.

You may want to check 2007 Draft and the players taken in Rd 1:

1- J Russell --- Bust
    5 - Levi Brown --- You don't draft a RT at No.5
    6 - Laron Landry -- Average at best. Apart from boom hits can't do anything.
    8 - Jamal Anderson -- Bust as per performance-to-draft-position
    9 - Ted Ginn - Bust
    10 - Amobi Okoye - Bust
    12 - M Lynch -- Nutcase
    13 - A Carriker -- Pitt Live Board Fav.--- Bust
    16 - Justin Herrell -- Bust
    17 - J Moss -- Is he working in McD??
    22 - B Quinn -- Bust
    24 - B Meriweather -- Average S at best.
    They may not had won the SB if we change one thing about the 08 team. Things happen for a reason. Timmons was a main contributer in passing formations in 08. He helped this team win a SB.

Thinking back, they needed LB help big time. A case can be made that the LB's are the key to the 3-4 defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Much like with the "Should we re-sign Casey Hampton" debate, Chadman has a question or two for those that feel Timmons is 'lacking'.

The Steelers are a top 5 run defense team. In the NFL, that's pretty much 'dominant'. And lets face it, not many teams can run on the Steelers.

So, if Timmons is such a weak run defender (as has been eluded to), how do the Steelers maintain such dominance in run defense?

Is it a case of the Steelers having 10 great run defenders & Lawrence Timmons is like a ladies handbag- being carried around & out there just to look good? Don't think so.

He's as much a part of that run defense as anyone else.

The Steelers downfall on defense came against the pass- specifically against the DB's. It wasn't opposition TE's that were killing the Steelers. It was the WR's, the DB's responsibility.

Timmons had the 3rd highest sack count & the 4th most tackles on the team, yet he is the subject of much of the defenses critisism. Something doesn't add up.

As Chadman said in an earlier post- the problem was not that the Steelers chose Timmons, or missed on Revis, but that in every subsequent draft the Steelers have not hit on a high quality DB that can start- CB or FS.

Instead, the Steelers decided it was far more important to get Ben a 'TALL' WR so he can throw off the back foot & still, maybe, get a reception.

Just imagine, if you will, that in 2008 the Steelers DIDN'T draft Mendenhall, Sweed & Bruce Davis in the first 3 rounds & instead took- #1 CB Mike Jenkins, #2 RB Ray Rice & #3 WR Mario Manningham.

How different would things be then?

But of course, most of you will say hindsight is 20/20.

Which it is.

Which makes second guessing Timmons selection, a guy that starts & produces at a decent level, a little unfair.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Nate Wiggins CB
    2. Ricky Pearsall WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    We play a 3-4 and OLB's are super important in our D. Timmons still might be the best OLB we have.

I wouldn't be surprised in a couple years if Timmons and Woodley are the best pair of 3-4 OLBs ever seen. It's time to aknowledge, James Harrison has one move and is limited. It's time to make way for LT on the outside. No one in the league has Timmons burst. Not even Dwight Freeney who's probably the closest.

Timmons could be lethal off the edge. But Harrison had a great season and mucked up the plans.
    Harrison did not have just one good year. In his 3 seasons as a starter, he has 278 tackles, 34.5 sacks, 8 passes defensed, 2 interceptions, and 19 forced fumbles.

Find me another linebacker who has had a 3 year stretch that impressive, aside from the other guy named Lawrence T. (and I'm not talking about Timmons).
    but the point i was trying to make is no one expected James Harrison to be so good when we picked Timmons. if harrison wasn't so good, timmons would be playing OLB by now and I think that's what the Steelers expected from him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Much like with the "Should we re-sign Casey Hampton" debate, Chadman has a question or two for those that feel Timmons is 'lacking'.

The Steelers are a top 5 run defense team. In the NFL, that's pretty much 'dominant'. And lets face it, not many teams can run on the Steelers.

So, if Timmons is such a weak run defender (as has been eluded to), how do the Steelers maintain such dominance in run defense?

Is it a case of the Steelers having 10 great run defenders & Lawrence Timmons is like a ladies handbag- being carried around & out there just to look good? Don't think so.

He's as much a part of that run defense as anyone else.

The Steelers downfall on defense came against the pass- specifically against the DB's. It wasn't opposition TE's that were killing the Steelers. It was the WR's, the DB's responsibility.

Timmons had the 3rd highest sack count & the 4th most tackles on the team, yet he is the subject of much of the defenses critisism. Something doesn't add up.

As Chadman said in an earlier post- the problem was not that the Steelers chose Timmons, or missed on Revis, but that in every subsequent draft the Steelers have not hit on a high quality DB that can start- CB or FS.

Instead, the Steelers decided it was far more important to get Ben a 'TALL' WR so he can throw off the back foot & still, maybe, get a reception.

Just imagine, if you will, that in 2008 the Steelers DIDN'T draft Mendenhall, Sweed & Bruce Davis in the first 3 rounds & instead took- #1 CB Mike Jenkins, #2 RB Ray Rice & #3 WR Mario Manningham.

How different would things be then?

But of course, most of you will say hindsight is 20/20.

Which it is.

Which makes second guessing Timmons selection, a guy that starts & produces at a decent level, a little unfair.
    Church!

I don't understand what this is all about. Then again, we had a thread asking if Logan was worth a roster spot. Was Sep worth treading up for... and Troy was a bust his first year. Everyone wants what they don't have. Our DB's weren't a problem when we drafted Timmons. They were never stellar but they were decent.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Is there a point to this thread?

Revis was already selected. He is a Jet.

Timmons wasn't selected so we took him. He is a Steeler.

We had no chance to select Revis because he was taken. What exactly are we dwelling on. Seems pretty simple to me.
    What could have been. Seems pretty simple to me. :P

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    No problem, I just thought this might be another thread indirectly criticizing Coach Tomlin. Now I know that wasn't the intent

This is just like a wishing you won the lottery thread
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

i posted a thread last week about the lack of high picks on the OL.

well, the same could be said for cornerback. troy is the only DB on the roster taken in the 1st 2 rounds with mcfadden leaving last year.

IMO, those are the 2 weakest units on the team. i hope they address both areas with high picks over the next 2 years

Backup

User Info Menu

You guys worry way too much about Timmons. He's a good, young player with speed. I would be much more concerned with the geriatric ward surrounding him that kept'm out of the playoffs.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelStallion
    You guys worry way too much about Timmons. He's a good, young player with speed. I would be much more concerned with the geriatric ward surrounding him that kept'm out of the playoffs.
    This right here.. We are old in a lot of spots... While Big Snack is fat and older he is still on the field. I think it's time to address Aaron Smith... He can't stay on the field.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    As I remember it, there were other CB's there too. Like Jim said, Hall is a 2nd teamer. Ain't too shabby for a CB.

I'd make that trade any day. Timmons for Hall. As long as Foote would've stayed. But hey, this is a 'ridiculous' thread so why talk about it.

i would take that trade in a second. i remember watching the draft and hoping we would draft revis or hall if revis wasnt there. both are great cb's and look at the mess the secondary is. i like michigan a lot so i saw a ton of hall and woodley in college and thought either or both would be a great draft. timmons is ok but who knows how he will progress? hall and revis are already above expectations. what hurts most about revis is he is from the burgh. i hate to see guys from pittsburgh not play for the steelers especially if they went to pitt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73
    As I remember it, there were other CB's there too. Like Jim said, Hall is a 2nd teamer. Ain't too shabby for a CB.

I'd make that trade any day. Timmons for Hall. As long as Foote would've stayed. But hey, this is a 'ridiculous' thread so why talk about it.

i would take that trade in a second. i remember watching the draft and hoping we would draft revis or hall if revis wasnt there. both are great cb's and look at the mess the secondary is. i like michigan a lot so i saw a ton of hall and woodley in college and thought either or both would be a great draft. timmons is ok but who knows how he will progress? hall and revis are already above expectations. what hurts most about revis is he is from the burgh. i hate to see guys from pittsburgh not play for the steelers especially if they went to pitt.
    Now back to reality
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"