Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It still hurts

Legend

User Info Menu

It still hurts

Watching the Vikes move on, when we beat them solidly ... a proud moment in our season.

Watching the Jets move on, when our D has been at times during the year as good as theirs was today (Green Bay, Minnesota...).

Knowing that we can point to five or six specific plays this year that were each an inch or so from going our way instead of the way they went, and if we'd gotten just ONE of those plays we could have been fighting for a return to the SB ...

Dang.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: It still hurts

I was just sitting here thinking that if we could have just won one, just one, of those three just absolutely stupid losses, that we could be sitting where the Jets are right now and scaring the bajeebers out of Peyton and the Colts!!! As crazy as it sounds with a healthy Troy I still think we are the best darn team in the AFC!!! It's so frustrating to sit here and watch these playoffs when I know that we should be fighting for a chance to defend our title!!! It sucks!!!

Such is life!!!

Memo to our new ST coordinator: Please do not have Troy Polamalu on the field goal block team this year, as a matter a fact don't have him on any special teams units at all!!! Thank you for your cooperation!!!!

Sincerely,

The Steelers Nation

<a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Backup

User Info Menu

I remember the Vikes win as being more a case of fortuitous bounces on defense than us really beating them soundly.

We didn't play terribly that game, but the most impressive thing about it was that the Vikes came in 7-0, not that the Steelers played that great.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by msp26505
    I remember the Vikes win as being more a case of fortuitous bounces on defense than us really beating them soundly.

We didn't play terribly that game, but the most impressive thing about it was that the Vikes came in 7-0, not that the Steelers played that great.
    It was a good win but you are right.....it is not like we dominated that game!!! If I remember correctly the offense did not have such a hot day and if it wasn't for the defense scoring 2 touchdowns in the 4th quarter we were sunk!!! They did though....the D made plays that day and guess who was playing??? The guy that everyone else has to worry about!!!
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

we were rolling at one point and then Mendenhall went airborne from the 7 and fumbled. That changed the momentum big time. We held AP in check for much of the game if I remember correctly. They went with Favre
    in the redzone a lot and we held him in check. Gay was trucked by AP.. I do remember that.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

we were rolling at one point and then Mendenhall went airborne from the 7 and fumbled. That changed the momentum big time. We held AP in check for much of the game if I remember correctly. They went with Favre
    in the redzone a lot and we held him in check. Gay was trucked by AP.. I do remember that.
    Is that the play where he wound up pretty much looking like a roach, flat on his back waving his arms and legs up in the air?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If it helps, I don't believe Troy could have been healthy for the playoffs and without him, we simply couldn't go anywhere, especially against the air attack of SD. Think long term. It sucks that Troy got hurt. I'd rather this season wash under the dam and reload on D with the draft and with Troy. We'll be a bitchin' team next year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Watching the Jets move on, when our D has been at times during the year as good as theirs was today (Green Bay, Minnesota...).
    The Packer game was an example of our defense being as good as the Jets (the top defense in the league this year)??? Aaron Rodgers threw for 383 yards with 3 passing TD's plus he had another rushing TD in that game. The Packers scored 36 points, and we only won because of a Ben-to-Wallace TD at the buzzer that was reminiscent of Ben-to-Santonio in SBXLIII. Not our best defensive effort. That was an offensive win.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    The Packer game was an example of our defense being as good as the Jets (the top defense in the league this year)??? Aaron Rodgers threw for 383 yards with 3 passing TD's plus he had another rushing TD in that game. The Packers scored 36 points, and we only won because of a Ben-to-Wallace TD at the buzzer that was reminiscent of Ben-to-Santonio in SBXLIII. Not our best defensive effort. That was an offensive win.
    Yeah, my bad, I was thinking Minnesota, somehow got the Green Bay game mixed in there. We did hold them to under 60 yards rushing, THAT must have been what stuck in my mind

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Yeah, my bad, I was thinking Minnesota, somehow got the Green Bay game mixed in there. We did hold them to under 60 yards rushing, THAT must have been what stuck in my mind
    The Minnesota game was unquestionably a defensive win. We just haven't really had a game where the offense and defense were good at the same time (and the special teams weren't blowing it). The closest we came to that this season was in Denver.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.