Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heath vs Gates

Re: Heath vs Gates

Asking in ignorance, are there any TEs in Heath's or Gates' league that ARE good blockers?

And also, can't that skill be taught? I mean, things like foot and hand technique, leverage, combined with film study of that week's opponents - can't someone become at least a decent blocker?

I've always been surprised how little practice time there is in the NFL for the next week's opponents ... Monday off, Tuesday book learning, maybe on the field Wed and Thursday, slow walk through on Friday, off on Saturday, or something kind of like that. Maybe there's just not enough time for that kind of coaching/training, so either you got it or you don't. Incredible.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    He also made a nice one handed grab.

Pro Bowl doesn't care about blocking when it comes to TE's...

Heath is the perfect fit for our team. I think he dropped about 4 passes all season.
    Well if we rate em by blocking skills, Mark Bruener was better than either Gate or Miller. I dont remember him dropping many passes either. Slow as all get but he could block.
    Bruener was like an Olinemen playing TE.
    As a blocker, Bruener wasn't even the best TE we've ever had... not even in that decade. (can anyone guess who I'm referring to?)

Congrats to BURGH86STEEL, bringing an inkling of objectiveness to this thread. To say Gates blows or Heath is way better or anything like that is just silly. Gates is one of the all-time greats.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    He also made a nice one handed grab.

Pro Bowl doesn't care about blocking when it comes to TE's...

Heath is the perfect fit for our team. I think he dropped about 4 passes all season.
    Well if we rate em by blocking skills, Mark Bruener was better than either Gate or Miller. I dont remember him dropping many passes either. Slow as all get but he could block.
    Bruener was like an Olinemen playing TE.
    As a blocker, Bruener wasn't even the best TE we've ever had... not even in that decade. (can anyone guess who I'm referring to?)

Congrats to BURGH86STEEL, bringing an inkling of objectiveness to this thread. To say Gates blows or Heath is way better or anything like that is just silly. Gates is one of the all-time greats.
    Who said he was the best blocker we ever had? Heck Larry Brown ended up as linemen.

The best blocker? In Cowhers era? It aint Eric Green despite his "looking" the part.
    Try this walk down memory lane:
    Adrian Cooper....Eric Greens backup. Two tight end sets, dude DESTROYED people.

I didn't remember all 4 but that can't be a common thing for Heath.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Herewegosteelers!
    Gates dropped a couple of easy passes today. I know everyone has a bad game (example: Nate Kaeding) but I don't think Heath would have dropped two. Gate doesn't block half as good either. Heath is the real pro-bowler. Good to have him signed for a few more years
    I don't think there is much diff between Gates and Heath.

Heath did drop few passes this season and one went for INT. I think it was KC game. But Big Ben did throw a lot of passes to Heath this season hence couple of drops.

Heath is Money. Heath is a perfect fit in Black n Gold...
    Not much of a difference between Gates and Heath? That is silly. Heath is a much better blockers and Gates is a much better athlete.

I'm very happy with Heath, but Gates has skills that are just unreal.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

I am a weirdo and rewatched the final drive of the Green Bay game this season last night. The one catch that Heath had on that drive was amazing. It was a great throw, right over the defenders outreached hands, but Heath made an amazing catch for a big guy.

Anyone else remember the catch I am talking about. It was like a 15 yard pickup. Leaped up in the air and caught the ball at its highest point with his hands and then had the awareness to get both feet down before sliding out of bounds. Thing of beauty.
    @_Hellgrammite

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

Not much of a difference between Gates and Heath? That is silly. Heath is a much better blockers and Gates is a much better athlete.

I'm very happy with Heath, but Gates has skills that are just unreal.

Heath is a very good all around TE. Gates is a great receiving TE. I don't watch him closely enough to focus on his blocking ability.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I am a weirdo and rewatched the final drive of the Green Bay game this season last night. The one catch that Heath had on that drive was amazing. It was a great throw, right over the defenders outreached hands, but Heath made an amazing catch for a big guy.

Anyone else remember the catch I am talking about. It was like a 15 yard pickup. Leaped up in the air and caught the ball at its highest point with his hands and then had the awareness to get both feet down before sliding out of bounds. Thing of beauty.

Yes exactly. I thought as a pass and catch only, that was more impressive than the mike wallace catch in the end zone. But obviously, since wallace's resulted in a td, that will get more fan fare. Ben's touch and Heath's hands really showed on that play.

Both absolutely amazing plays.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

The best blocker? In Cowhers era? It aint Eric Green despite his "looking" the part.
    Try this walk down memory lane:
    Adrian Cooper....Eric Greens backup. Two tight end sets, dude DESTROYED people.

Coop deVille owned people in the run game.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.