Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Norv & Wade do it again

Pro Bowler

Re: Norv & Wade do it again

i don't know that you can blame norv for all the mental errors BUT you can certainly blame him for having the 31st ranked run offense in the NFL. He's always been a west coast pass happy kinda guy and I just think that is not the way to win a championship. when you combine that with some of his other shortcomings it's not very surprising he has not had a good playoff record. Teams that rely almost exclusively on the pass can have some success but as we've all heard, 3 things happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them are bad. sooner or later it catches up.

how many interceptions did sanchez throw today?.......

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter
    i don't know that you can blame norv for all the mental errors BUT you can certainly blame him for having the 31st ranked run offense in the NFL. He's always been a west coast pass happy kinda guy and I just think that is not the way to win a championship. when you combine that with some of his other shortcomings it's not very surprising he has not had a good playoff record. Teams that rely almost exclusively on the pass can have some success but as we've all heard, 3 things happen when you throw the ball and 2 of them are bad. sooner or later it catches up.

none in the playoffs I think...

I like the Saints balance on offense.. they run just as much as they pass.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

none in the playoffs I think...

I like the Saints balance on offense.. they run just as much as they pass.
    I think he threw one, a boneheaded pass. The Chargers looked to be in good field position, but then they turned the ball over almost immediately.

A lot of things had to go just right for the Jets to win today, and every one of them did. Unless they are the Steelers of SB XL, or XLIII, the Jets' run will end next week.

But we can hope!!!

J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

i don't know that you can blame norv for all the mental errors...
    You've got to be kidding with that statement.
    I can see mental errors affecting a young team, or a overachieving team, with any coach. But when you have pretty much every concievable edge save for defense... you telling me that Belicheat*, or Chuck Noll's 70's teams would perform like that?

San Diego is that much better than the Jets.
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    i don't know that you can blame norv for all the mental errors...
    You've got to be kidding with that statement.
    I can see mental errors affecting a young team, or a overachieving team, with any coach. But when you have pretty much every concievable edge save for defense... you telling me that Belicheat*, or Chuck Noll's 70's teams would perform like that?

San Diego is that much better than the Jets.

In the "divisional prediction post" some guy was on there saying Rivers will have his way with the Jets D. I didn't say it in these words, but I was thinking "The Jets have the #1 D. That has to count for something."

Apparently not. They also had home field and a week of rest. Those have to count for something in the analysis.

Pro Bowler

You can blame Turner for the onside kick decision. It's simple to think it through ...

2:14 on the clock
    Kick off long about 5 seconds go off the clock
    2:09 and the ball around the 28 yard line
    Jets pretty much have to run, making the D job much easier
    1st down - Run; no timeout, let it run to 2:00 (if you call TO then you give the Jets the option of the pass on 2nd down before 2:00)
    2nd down - run; timeout
    1:55
    3rd down run stopped short of 1st; ball around the 36 yard line
    clock runs down to about 1:10 before the punt
    Punt for 40 yards net, another 9 seconds off the clock
    Ball at your own 24 with 1:01 and no timeouts (the chances aren't that bad)

Turner didn't think about the case of 4th and very short - a no-brainer punt if the ball is on the Jets side of the field. With the ball at the SD 30 ... well ...

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by anger 82&95
    "Norv" is a consummate choke-king, but some blame has to fall on the Charger's kicker, the dude looked like Ray Finkle out there tonight...
    Kaeding is Einhorn! Einhorn is Kaeding!

***Cue "Crying Game" Music***

HAHA...I thought the same thing when he said Finkle.

Kaeding....Einhorn, Einhorn...Kaeding!
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility

In the "divisional prediction post" some guy was on there saying Rivers will have his way with the Jets D. I didn't say it in these words, but I was thinking "The Jets have the #1 D. That has to count for something."

Apparently not. They also had home field and a week of rest. Those have to count for something in the analysis.
    Well I never thought Rivers would have his way with the Jets D, but c'mon. You got a team full of veterans... who possibly know this could be their last hurrah. You got a Top 5 QB with a lot of playoff experience... you got home field... and are relatively healthy...

and you're facing a rookie QB at home?

You telling me that Bill Belichick would lose under that circumstance? Or Chuck Noll?

You can heap a large share of blame on the kicker (deservedly), and spread the blame around accordingly. But you (the coach) simply CAN NOT lose that game. It CAN'T happen.

It's like in Cowher's early years. In his 1st season, we were #1 seed, but we weren't playoff tested, and the veteran Buffalo Bills came in and stomped us. That is urgency meeting opportunity. So the next year (or year after, I forget) we are again very good, and we have an inferior SD team (THAT game is a good parallel), we allow them to hang around hang around hang around, and boom--that sorry a$s Tim McKyer gets burned when he has no business getting beat deep in that situation.

Those heartaches build character. More importantly, guys get that urgency. You've felt the pain, and you also feel like.. when the opportunity comes again--THAT YOU HAVE TO SEIZE IT RIGHT NOW.

It's why Tomlinson made that Super Bowl shuffle video thing (if you've seen it). Guys are that confident... not overconfident... but they know they have what it takes... and they know that "hey, this could be it for me."

So then to come and lose to that team? The worst team in the playoffs? That's just inexcusable, I'm sorry... and given his history, Norv gets the lion's share of the blame (after Kaeding of corse).
    Guys and gals,
    If you play fantasy football, go to the FF forum here and read my thread. I'd appreciate some feedback on it.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility

Well I never thought Rivers would have his way with the Jets D, but c'mon. You got a team full of veterans... who possibly know this could be their last hurrah. You got a Top 5 QB with a lot of playoff experience... you got home field... and are relatively healthy...

and you're facing a rookie QB at home?

You telling me that Bill Belichick would lose under that circumstance? Or Chuck Noll?

You can heap a large share of blame on the kicker (deservedly), and spread the blame around accordingly. But you (the coach) simply CAN NOT lose that game. It CAN'T happen.

It's like in Cowher's early years. In his 1st season, we were #1 seed, but we weren't playoff tested, and the veteran Buffalo Bills came in and stomped us. That is urgency meeting opportunity. So the next year (or year after, I forget) we are again very good, and we have an inferior SD team (THAT game is a good parallel), we allow them to hang around hang around hang around, and boom--that sorry a$s Tim McKyer gets burned when he has no business getting beat deep in that situation.

Those heartaches build character. More importantly, guys get that urgency. You've felt the pain, and you also feel like.. when the opportunity comes again--THAT YOU HAVE TO SEIZE IT RIGHT NOW.

It's why Tomlinson made that Super Bowl shuffle video thing (if you've seen it). Guys are that confident... not overconfident... but they know they have what it takes... and they know that "hey, this could be it for me."

So then to come and lose to that team? The worst team in the playoffs? That's just inexcusable, I'm sorry... and given his history, Norv gets the lion's share of the blame (after Kaeding of corse).
    Not from where I'm watching.

The Jets were gifted into the playoffs, but obviously they belong. Like I said, having the #1 D HAS to count for something!?

The Jets lost some very tough games, most notable of which was to Buffalo where they had a game-winning FG in OT if not for a ticky-tack (and IMO phantom) holding call. They also missed 3 FGs against the Falcons that were all normally converted to lose 10-7. So, take 1 away (the Colts) and give 2. They were a legitimate 10-6 quality team against a relatively tough schedule.

Add to that the fact that Sanchez played his worst football in COLD weather. That's really where he got all his picks that cost them games. Now he's cleaned that up, got it out of his system, or whatever you want to call it.

Revis is shutting down half of teams passing games. They have given up 8 passing TDs all season. They have the #1 ground game in the league. All of that points to being legitimately in the game all the way to the end. It is actually helping them now that Sanchez can play in a dome where the cold can't bother him.

Hall of Famer

I found it quite interesting that two one-dimensional teams advanced at least one round in the playoffs. To me it goes to show that a good defense trumps a good offense 9 out of 10 times.

Both Baltimore and Jets have no passing game to speak of and clearly the opponent's defense knew the run game was coming and yet they could not stop it. Kind reminds me of the 'old' Steelers offense.....keep it close and rely on the D to close it out.