Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hines Ward rule???

Pro Bowler

Hines Ward rule???

so I'm watching the cards yesterday and warner throws a pick. unbelievably he attempts to try to tackle a 300 lb lineman and as he's moving in he totally gets decleated and almost killed by a comeback block. I thought that was the whole purpose of the Hines Ward rule, to protect a player who doesn't see it coming. of course the hypocrisy of the rule is that it only applies to an offensive guy taking out keith rivers (ooops) not a defensive guy dang near ending warners career.....

Hall of Famer

Re: Hines Ward rule???

Did anyone else catch the penalty on R. Lewis' head-to-head against the receiver in the endzone? It was clearly a penalty, and as the refs mike came on you could hear Lewis in the background screaming "come on man, it's football!!" Hate Lewis, but I think he's right...the game has really changed from the Tatum and Lambert...and who was the guy that pile-drived TB into the turf?.. days.

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter
    so I'm watching the cards yesterday and warner throws a pick. unbelievably he attempts to try to tackle a 300 lb lineman and as he's moving in he totally gets decleated and almost killed by a comeback block. I thought that was the whole purpose of the Hines Ward rule, to protect a player who doesn't see it coming. of course the hypocrisy of the rule is that it only applies to an offensive guy taking out keith rivers (ooops) not a defensive guy dang near ending warners career.....
    The purpose of the rule is to prevent helmet to helmet contact on a blind side hit.

Wouldn't it be nice if the NFL rule book were easily referenced on line? I know I've had a hard time finding it in the past, and I read recently that it's not really available.

I kind of thought the Hines Ward rule was that if the guy is far from the play and "defenseless" you can't whack him. Warner wasn't far from the play, he was going for the tackle, so I figured maybe that's why the guy who hit him wasn't penalized.

But who knows for sure?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Rivers was in position,albeit trailing the play, to make a tackle when hines flattened him. So Im confused.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

ok, i'll ask it this way. if hines ward was suddenly playing for the saints on defense and makes that block - does he get a penalty?.....

Calling Steelrzd, Ruth, or other knowledgable fans -

what exactly is the Hines Ward rule, and why didn't the guy who pancaked Warner yesterday get hit with a penalty under that rule?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by justplainnasty
    The purpose of the rule is to prevent helmet to helmet contact on a blind side hit.
    Or shoulder to helmet...or forearm to helmet.

But you are correct.

Warner was attempting to get in on the play and was hit with a shoulder in the chest.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by justplainnasty
    Or shoulder to helmet...or forearm to helmet.

But you are correct.

Warner was attempting to get in on the play and was hit with a shoulder in the chest.
    Yup...blindside blocks are illegal if they come from the blocker's helmet, forearm or shoulder and lands to the head or neck area of the defender.

I was amazed at the announcers saying it was a "perfectly" legal hit.

It IS a legal hit. Unless HINES does it.

As far as the rule goes, it doesn't matter what hits what. It's the "blindside" hit and defenseless player that matter. I still don't like the rule.

And I get so tired of the frickin OVERUSE of the term "helmet to helmet". If helmets hit, fine. That's what they are for. Unless they are used offensively and/or crowned. Helmets hit on every play.