Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Be more like the Ravens?

Backup

User Info Menu

Be more like the Ravens?

I saw the post last week spouting envy about how the Ravens played. You saw today why you can't win a title with that 90's style offense. You have to pass successfully to win. You have to score points and be prepared to pass well when teams take away the run. The Ravens basically throw everything short all game in order to protect Flacco. Meanwhile Peyton has 40 pass attempts through three quarters.

I pray that Tomlin and Arians don't start looking to run it more just because the critics don't like pass first football. The Steelers would have been division champs this year if the defense did not lead the league in blown fourth quarter leads. Not to mention the putrid special teams. The main improvement needed with the offense is being more efficient in the red zone. Meanwhile the defense and special teams need improvement from top to bottom.

I will take Arians calling plays over the Ravens conservative play calling.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Be more like the Ravens?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxAMillion
    I saw the post last week spouting envy about how the Ravens played. You saw today why you can't win a title with that 90's style offense. You have to pass successfully to win. You have to score points and be prepared to pass well when teams take away the run. The Ravens basically throw everything short all game in order to protect Flacco. Meanwhile Peyton has 40 pass attempts through three quarters.

I pray that Tomlin and Arians don't start looking to run it more just because the critics don't like pass first football. The Steelers would have been division champs this year if the defense did not lead the league in blown fourth quarter leads. Not to mention the putrid special teams. The main improvement needed with the offense is being more efficient in the red zone. Meanwhile the defense and special teams need improvement from top to bottom.

I will take Arians calling plays over the Ravens conservative play calling.
    I'm not defending the Ravens' offense, but it seems like it would only help the Steelers if we were consistently able to run the ball when we need to.

And, BTW, much as you may hate the Ravens' offense (and I'm a Raven-hater from way back), at least they actually made the playoffs, and even won a game in the playoffs this season. All while BA and our Steelers team are sitting at home watching on TV.

devilsdancefloor

the ravens offense is ray rice & a little bit of mason that is it. The problem with BA is situational football if you are leading in the 2nd half you dont go all AL davis and try to throw deep. RUN the damn ball it is that simple. I dont not wanna see 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but know what the situations are.If you want to be a pass heavy team then least make sure we can run the ball as well. We do not play in a dome like the Colts or the Saints or have the pleasure of having weather in December or January that the chargers enjoy. So we are gonna have to run the ball. All you have to look at is the stains game this year 40 passes in crap weather i know i know it is hard to run in 35MPH winds it is a COME ON man moment. If you want to throw 60/40 great but know the situations...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor
    the ravens offense is ray rice & a little bit of mason that is it. The problem with BA is situational football if you are leading in the 2nd half you dont go all AL davis and try to throw deep. RUN the damn ball it is that simple. I dont not wanna see 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but know what the situations are.If you want to be a pass heavy team then least make sure we can run the ball as well. We do not play in a dome like the Colts or the Saints or have the pleasure of having weather in December or January that the chargers enjoy. So we are gonna have to run the ball. All you have to look at is the stains game this year 40 passes in crap weather i know i know it is hard to run in 35MPH winds it is a COME ON man moment. If you want to throw 60/40 great but know the situations...

Welcome to the forum!

Legend

User Info Menu

Our biggest problems were we could not convert 3rd and short and the defense could not prevent 3rd and long completions. I think that sums it up.

By the way, not sure anyone else noticed a difference in how the ravens and saints runs were set up. It seems most of the running plays had the RB almost at the line of scrimmage as the ball was being handed off. It seemed the QB took maybe two steps away from center and the RB was coming up full speed to the QB. In contrast the Steelers seemed to have Ben run about 5 to 7 yds behind the line where the RB was standing waiting on the hand-off. Just seemed the runs in yesterday's games were much faster at hitting the hole.
    Again, it could be a perception thing on my part, or maybe just better blocking by OLs that made the runs look good. Hopefully Kugler can kick somebody's behind and make them better blockers?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsdancefloor

Welcome to the forum!
    x2

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    Our biggest problems were we could not convert 3rd and short and the defense could not prevent 3rd and long completions. I think that sums it up.

By the way, not sure anyone else noticed a difference in how the ravens and saints runs were set up. It seems most of the running plays had the RB almost at the line of scrimmage as the ball was being handed off. It seemed the QB took maybe two steps away from center and the RB was coming up full speed to the QB. In contrast the Steelers seemed to have Ben run about 5 to 7 yds behind the line where the RB was standing waiting on the hand-off. Just seemed the runs in yesterday's games were much faster at hitting the hole.
    Again, it could be a perception thing on my part, or maybe just better blocking by OLs that made the runs look good. Hopefully Kugler can kick somebody's behind and make them better blockers?
    Good observation. They ran with authority.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Starter

User Info Menu

We lost one football game in Cleveland becausewe couldn't run the ball. We lost games all season long, any ONE of which turning into a victory puts us in the postseason because we couldn't stop teams from moving the ball in the two minute drill. Understood, the Stains game was the last and greatest indignity, but these things happen in divisional contests - a 12 - 1 Cheats squad lost to the 2 - 11 Dolphins on a Monday Night in '04 before going on to win the Super Bowl. The fact that that game was a must win, though, was set up by MANY failures, relatively few of which can be set at the feet of the offense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

only thing i like about their offense is ray rice & some of their linemen. i would trade mendenhall 4 rice in a heartbeat.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    only thing i like about their offense is ray rice & some of their linemen. i would trade mendenhall 4 rice in a heartbeat.

Nope.

​2019 MNFE CHAMPION