Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LMAO - AP Coach of the Year

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: LMAO - AP Coach of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Marvin sucked it up in the playoff game, but during the regular season he did a great job.

Rex Ryan did great in the postseason but I think he lost his chance at being COY when the Colts and Bengals rested their players. Jets might have still been able to beat both teams (Definitely us), but I think that ended his bid for COY.

I would have given it to Sean Payton though, I thought he deserved it...
    What did Marvin do?

Zimmer fixed the D. In all the years Marvin (former D coordinator) has been there, the D hasn't really played very well. Now Zimmer comes in, and they play lights out. Marvin should give the award to Zimmer (and perhaps the oline coach). Anyone could see they would not last long in the playoffs.

Ryan started a rookie QB and made the playoffs. That is a huge accomplishment. Ryan also breathed new life into that defense and put a great staff together.

Ryan is a motivator of men. Marvin Lewis is a nice guy.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Marvin sucked it up in the playoff game, but during the regular season he did a great job.

Rex Ryan did great in the postseason but I think he lost his chance at being COY when the Colts and Bengals rested their players. Jets might have still been able to beat both teams (Definitely us), but I think that ended his bid for COY.

What did Marvin do?

Zimmer fixed the D. In all the years Marvin (former D coordinator) has been there, the D hasn't really played very well. Now Zimmer comes in, and they play lights out. Marvin should give the award to Zimmer (and perhaps the oline coach). Anyone could see they would not last long in the playoffs.

Ryan started a rookie QB and made the playoffs. That is a huge accomplishment. Ryan also breathed new life into that defense and put a great staff together.

I'd be willing to bet anything that Lewis deflected all credit to his players and his staff.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

What did Marvin do?

I'd be willing to bet anything that Lewis deflected all credit to his players and his staff.
    As he should. What is your point? Does that make him deserving?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

What did Marvin do?

because he is a nice guy...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What did Marvin do?

Getting to the playoffs with a rookie QB doesn't automatically get you a COY award. Harbaugh and Mike Smith did that last season. Plus the Jets were 9-7 last year and they finished 9-7 again this year. A zero game improvement.

Bengals finished 4-11-1 last season and 10-6 this year. You can say most of that credit goes to Carson, but the majority of people I've talked to his year keeps harping on how Carson is no longer a top QB in the NFL anymore. Can't have it both ways.

Zimmer and Paul Alexander (O-Line coach) definitely deserve the majority of the praise, you won't hear any argument from me there. But Marvin is the one that brought in Zimmer and as Zimmer just stated it was mainly working WITH Marvin that kept him in Cincy. Plus Marvin recruited Fitzgerald a couple of seasons ago to be our LB coach from Baltimore. Fitzgerald should get a lot of credit as well for our improved defensive play.

Also Marvin is the one that pushed during the offseason for Brat to change the offensive strategy to become a run first team. Our passing game is subpar and if that change wasn't made early we wouldn't have made the playoffs this season.

There are always 3 or 4 deserving HC's that could have won the award. I think Marvin was one of them this season.

As for the Marvin is a "nice guy" comment, I think a lot of voters changed their opinion of Marvin after watching Hard Knocks. Anyone that saw him go off on the team after the preseason loss to the Rams, will know what I'm talking about. Perception and reality are two different things, and after people saw how fiery Marvin really can be their perceptions of him changed...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Marvin was a solid LB coach for us before heading to Baltimore to become a D.C. and then to Cincinnatti to become a H.C. Considering that he works for Mike Brown (second only to Al Davis for incompetance among executives who fancy themselves as talent evaluators), he's doing a reasonably good job with the Bengals.
    How do you keep Ralph Wilson off of this list?

Legend

User Info Menu

Jets were 9-7 with Brett Favre... Jets with Sanchez were not expected to win...

The only thing the Bungles did was finally play to their talent level/strength.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

Lewis was deserving.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Marvin was a solid LB coach for us before heading to Baltimore to become a D.C. and then to Cincinnatti to become a H.C. Considering that he works for Mike Brown (second only to Al Davis for incompetance among executives who fancy themselves as talent evaluators), he's doing a reasonably good job with the Bengals.
    How do you keep Ralph Wilson off of this list?
    Old Man Ralph knows enough to hire an actual G.M. (unlike Al and Mike that stubbornly think they can do that job themselves), but he is dumb enough to let talented personnel men get away (Bill Polian, the late John Butler, A.J. Smith).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Lewis was deserving.
    I think it's laughable for a coach to under achive for 3 to 4 years and get this award for finally playing to the talent level they have.