Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LMAO - AP Coach of the Year

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: LMAO - AP Coach of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Lewis was deserving.
    I think it's laughable for a coach to under achive for 3 to 4 years and get this award for finally playing to the talent level they have.
    How exactly did we have a high talent level? Look at all the players that have left the Bengals who were "starters"/key backup players on our team but not even backup worthy on others.

Caleb Miller - Who started several games at LB isn't in the NFL anymore.

Keiwan Ratliff - Our #3 CB and started several games because Johnathan Joseph had injury issues was cut by several teams. He wasn't even good enough to last in your secondary this season.

Landon Johnson - Starting LB for us and our leading tackler for two seasons is a backup in Carolina and barely holding on to a roster spot.

Chris Perry - Our starting RB heading into 2008, not in the NFL anymore.

Rudi Johhnson - Not in the NFL anymore

Levi Jones - Our "Franchise" LT devastated by knees injuries after the 2005 season, can barely make a team anymore. Yet was our starter at LT up until this season.

Stacy Andrews - The "Franchise" RT can't break the Eagles starting lineup, yet was our starter last season at RT.

Tab Perry, Tony Stewart, Deltha O'Neal, John Thornton, Kyle Larson. I can go on and go about the "talent" that this team had the past couple of seasons.

Also if we were soooo loaded then why did we have 8 rookies this season seeing significant playing time this season? Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Kevin Huber, Morgan Trent, Tom Nelson, Quan Cosby and Bernard Scott.

The team this season had some talent on Defense, but previous seasons we have had some horrible players starting...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Lewis was deserving.
    I think it's laughable for a coach to under achive for 3 to 4 years and get this award for finally playing to the talent level they have.
    How exactly did we have a high talent level? Look at all the players that have left the Bengals who were "starters"/key backup players on our team but not even backup worthy on others.

Caleb Miller - Who started several games at LB isn't in the NFL anymore.

Keiwan Ratliff - Our #3 CB and started several games because Johnathan Joseph had injury issues was cut by several teams. He wasn't even good enough to last in your secondary this season.

Landon Johnson - Starting LB for us and our leading tackler for two seasons is a backup in Carolina and barely holding on to a roster spot.

Chris Perry - Our starting RB heading into 2008, not in the NFL anymore.

Rudi Johhnson - Not in the NFL anymore

Levi Jones - Our "Franchise" LT devastated by knees injuries after the 2005 season, can barely make a team anymore. Yet was our starter at LT up until this season.

Stacy Andrews - The "Franchise" RT can't break the Eagles starting lineup, yet was our starter last season at RT.

Tab Perry, Tony Stewart, Deltha O'Neal, John Thornton, Kyle Larson. I can go on and go about the "talent" that this team had the past couple of seasons.

Also if we were soooo loaded then why did we have 8 rookies this season seeing significant playing time this season? Andre Smith, Rey Maualuga, Michael Johnson, Kevin Huber, Morgan Trent, Tom Nelson, Quan Cosby and Bernard Scott.

The team this season had some talent on Defense, but previous seasons we have had some horrible players starting...
    it sounds better when a Bengals fan gives the back story. I'm almost convinced... Not 100% but you have swayed me a little.

I never said yu guys had a high talent level. I said playing to your talent level...
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Getting to the playoffs with a rookie QB doesn't automatically get you a COY award. Harbaugh and Mike Smith did that last season.
    Mike Smith won the AP COY last season. I believe Harbaugh finished 3rd or 4th.

As for the Marvin is a "nice guy" comment, I think a lot of voters changed their opinion of Marvin after watching Hard Knocks. Anyone that saw him go off on the team after the preseason loss to the Rams, will know what I'm talking about. Perception and reality are two different things, and after people saw how fiery Marvin really can be their perceptions of him changed...
    I watched every Hard Knocks episode, and I've been in Cincinnati for 6 years. My neighbor is one of the Bengal's assistant coaches. I've got a little perspective on the matter. While it is true that Marvin yelled at his team that time, that doesn't prove that he is a disciplinarian or that he isn't too nice in general. When watching that particular episode, I felt that he was yelling BECAUSE there were cameras there. What the Hell else is he going to do after that game? He and the franchise were on display. He would have looked foolish if he didn't lay into them.

I have great respect for Marvin as a person. He really does a lot for the community and cares about his players and coaches. However, I don't believe he was COY this season. I don't think he was in the top 4.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

it sounds better when a Bengals fan gives the back story. I'm almost convinced... Not 100% but you have swayed me a little.

I never said yu guys had a high talent level. I said playing to your talent level...
    Fair enough. Like I said it could have gone to 3-4 other coaches: Caldwell, Payton, Ryan, etc... But I don't think it's a sham that Marvin ended up with it...

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I watched every Hard Knocks episode, and I've been in Cincinnati for 6 years. My neighbor is one of the Bengal's assistant coaches. I've got a little perspective on the matter. While it is true that Marvin yelled at his team that time, that doesn't prove that he is a disciplinarian or that he isn't too nice in general. When watching that particular episode, I felt that he was yelling BECAUSE there were cameras there. What the Hell else is he going to do after that game? He and the franchise were on display. He would have looked foolish if he didn't lay into them.

I have great respect for Marvin as a person. He really does a lot for the community and cares about his players and coaches. However, his performance as a coach is consistently underwhelming.
    I don't think it was just for the camera's. John Thornton who was our starting DT/DE up until this season talked about it: [url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/tag/john-thornton/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/tag/john-thornton/[/url]

2. Marvin Lewis. Since I brought up coach Lewis, I will keep it going. I have been around many of Marvin’s blow-ups. Each one is different. I could always tell when we were going to get it. Any sloppy loss at home equals a blow up. Any game lost by the defense equals a blow up. Any loss to a division team equals a blow up. Any loss to Steelers or Ravens equals a double blow up!

When the F-bomb comes put, coach is really upset. And it came out after the Rams game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fair enough. Like I said it could have gone to 3-4 other coaches: Caldwell, Payton, Ryan, etc... But I don't think it's a sham that Marvin ended up with it...

I have great respect for Marvin as a person. He really does a lot for the community and cares about his players and coaches. However, his performance as a coach is consistently underwhelming.
    I don't think it was just for the camera's. John Thornton who was our starting DT/DE up until this season talked about it: [url="http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/tag/john-thornton/"]http://cincinnati.com/blogs/bengals/tag/john-thornton/[/url]

2. Marvin Lewis. Since I brought up coach Lewis, I will keep it going. I have been around many of Marvin’s blow-ups. Each one is different. I could always tell when we were going to get it. Any sloppy loss at home equals a blow up. Any game lost by the defense equals a blow up. Any loss to a division team equals a blow up. Any loss to Steelers or Ravens equals a double blow up!

When the F-bomb comes put, coach is really upset. And it came out after the Rams game.
    It is cool Jom. You are good dude and, while I disagree about Marvin being tough or a disciplinarian, it really isn't a big deal. He did have a good season, and the Bengals seem to be headed in the right direction (at least the defense and the o-line).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Getting to the playoffs with a rookie QB doesn't automatically get you a COY award. Harbaugh and Mike Smith did that last season.
    Mike Smith won the AP COY last season. I believe Harbaugh finished 3rd or 4th.

As for the Marvin is a "nice guy" comment, I think a lot of voters changed their opinion of Marvin after watching Hard Knocks. Anyone that saw him go off on the team after the preseason loss to the Rams, will know what I'm talking about. Perception and reality are two different things, and after people saw how fiery Marvin really can be their perceptions of him changed...
    I loved Cincy when I visited.. reminded me of Pittsburgh with the river and the bridges..

It was grimy as hell downtown though.. like third world gutter grimey..

I always said it was the nicest city from the second floor up..

I have great respect for Marvin as a person. He really does a lot for the community and cares about his players and coaches. However, I don't believe he was COY this season. I don't think he was in the top 4.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I loved Cincy when I visited.. reminded me of Pittsburgh with the river and the bridges..

It was grimy as hell downtown though.. like third world gutter grimey..

I always said it was the nicest city from the second floor up..
    The last time I went to Cincy for the Broncos home opener, I was expecting downtown to be a little more lively and cleaner. It definitely is a grimy city.

Next Cincy game I go to will probably be an away game...