Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bringing back Hampton is Steelers' top priority...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Bringing back Hampton is Steelers' top priority...

Regardless of Casey's contractual status, we need to continue drafting along the D-Line - do not get complacent, that's how the team got into the O-Line situation its in now. You cannot automatically assume that because a couple of guys at the same position have had long careers that Casey will as well.

Best Scenario...franchise him, draft or sign his eventual replacement & let him play out the string. The longer Casey stays, the longer we put off the evolution of the defense.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life
    Regardless of Casey's contractual status, we need to continue drafting along the D-Line - do not get complacent, that's how the team got into the O-Line situation its in now. You cannot automatically assume that because a couple of guys at the same position have had long careers that Casey will as well.

Best Scenario...franchise him, draft or sign his eventual replacement & let him play out the string. The longer Casey stays, the longer we put off the evolution of the defense.
    Regarding the D-line or O-line, it is a difficult situation. There were never in a position to draft any top Olinemen. That is because they have been winning and they probably had one or to players they hoped to develop. I don't think they got into the situation with the Oline because they were complacent. They drafted more Olinemen then any other position since 2005. iIf there is one compliant, they may have missed out on a few solid Olinemen. Teams can't have it all at every position. Money is also a factor. Should the Steelers draft Olinemen just because or should they take a player think think will help the team? This is the situation they often find themselves questioning at almost every position.

If you are able to resign Hampton for 3 years, would you draft a NT in the first round this season? I think you would look to address another area of the team early in the draft. Maybe take a shot at a NT later in the draft. This is one predicament they have been in over the years. They were times they were able to draft for the future and times they were not able to. That is life in the NFL. Every team faces the same challenges. Steelers have done better then most.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Resigning Hampton does not preclude a move to a 4-3 front at all...it does provide the Steelers with more options on defense...losing Hampton without an additional legit 3-4 NT on the roster (Hoke is 100% legit IMO) almost forces a move in that direction...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like Casey coming into, and during a contract year so he doesn't let himself go. He is always at his decent weight and playing hard when a contract looms. If we franchise him, although he may not be happy, that big contract is still the next offseason so he better show up in shape and ready to go and do good things on film.

Although he will whine, unless he gives them a very fair deal, if I am the Steelers, I franchise him. Keep the carrot (big contract) dangling on the string.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh

Although he will whine, unless he gives them a very fair deal, if I am the Steelers, I franchise him. Keep the carrot (big contract) dangling on the string.
    I think a twinkie would be a much better choice.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Gotta sign Casey!!!!

Not the most mobile guy, but he clogs the middle and is impossible to move.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am not going to be all 'the sky is falling' if we could land a future replacement in the top end of the draft and have said rookie get some snaps backing up Hoke. Hoke has shown he can play and has even shown, at times, he can play as well as or better than Hampton. Not sure he could handle a solid 16 game schedule manning the middle by himself, but if you can get a behemoth rookie he could spell Hoke.

Basically what I am saying is I wouldn't let Big Snack hold the franchise hostage for a huge contract. Not sure I like that Rooney 2 is coming out and saying Hampton is the #1 priority in the media, thus giving Hampton the sense he can (pun intended) throw his weight around, making unrealistic demands.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers have shown they are pretty smart cookies when it comes to signing, re-signing & letting go of players.

They RARELY overpay. That's not to say that they never overpay, but compared to the 'good' deals, it's pretty rare.

If the Steelers have plans to bring Casey back, chances are they already have a sum in mind, and if Casey's demands exceed that, well, you only need to look at how much room the Steelers 'gave up' to Alan Faneca to realise that the Steelers call the shots in contract negotiations.

Losing Casey Hampton SIGNIFICANTLY effects the route the Steelers go in FA & the draft. Given that the Steelers tend to try & solve all the 'needs' before the draft, if Casey isn't signed, expect a FA to be brought in. Unlike a few of you, Chadman has little confidence in Hoke being pushed into a starting role. We were all up in arms when the pass defense fell away this season- how will we react if the Steelers run defense is significantly effected by losing a Pro Bowl NT next season? Will Mr LeBeau be allowed to live?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Cooper DeJean CB
    2. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR

Legend

User Info Menu

I would feel better if there was a guy Hamptons size already on the team if we let Casey go. I think we could have a Mahan type drop off on D if we let Casey go. I think he is worth decent money.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    I would feel better if there was a guy Hamptons size already on the team if we let Casey go. I think we could have a Mahan type drop off on D if we let Casey go. I think he is worth decent money.
    Chadman's thoughts exactly.

When your defense is built on stopping the run, when the key cog in a 3-4 defnse is your NT, when your back-up is OLDER than your starter, when your starting NT not only is maintaining his level of play, but also playing at a Pro Bowl level....

You re-sign him, and go from there.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Cooper DeJean CB
    2. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Blake Fisher OT
    3. Mason McCormick OC
    4. Cedric Gray ILB
    6. Jaden Crumedy DT
    6. Tahj Washington WR