Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bringing back Hampton is Steelers' top priority...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Bringing back Hampton is Steelers' top priority...

Get rid of this complacent fatboy please.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Backup

User Info Menu

I don't like resigning Hampton either because I'm concerned they'll
    get into another Farrior situation.

But it's a catch 22. He's old, past his prime, doesn't command double team anymore, has conditioning issues (not deserving of pro bowl IMHO) and is seeking more money than he's worth. On the other hand they have no great replacement and losing him could risk decreased NT play on an already bad unit. They have Hoke who's played well in the past and has little mileage. Conversely he's old too now and prime-to-prime Hoke isn't Hampton. They could try Ziggy at NT but they seem not inclined to do that, and he played DE all year, and A. Smith is now in the M. Smith phase of his carreer with injuries and age so they need him where he's at. They have numerous other needs on defense...and so on and so on with these back and forth thoughts...a tough situation. I wish them luck.

Clearly they are trying to resign him. I don't know if he'll come down on price to their liking. My guess is if it doesn't work out they go with Hoke and draft a NT high, maybe bring some camp bodies. Will be interesting to see. Here's wishing them good luck

Legend

User Info Menu

Those of you that feel Casey is too old, or lazy, or not worth the money- what evidence is there of this?

Are you going on Casey's lack of conditioning at Training Camp 2 years ago?

How did that effect his play?

The Steelers Run-D is still elite, and Hampton is a big part of that.

Can't understand where this 'lazy & overpaid' stuff is coming from.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Those of you that feel Casey is too old, or lazy, or not worth the money- what evidence is there of this?

Are you going on Casey's lack of conditioning at Training Camp 2 years ago?

How did that effect his play?

The Steelers Run-D is still elite, and Hampton is a big part of that.

Can't understand where this 'lazy & overpaid' stuff is coming from.
    Casey said.. "I came to camp in shape, out of shape, I still got the job done."

I'm having a hard time understanding the Hampton talk as well. He is old but very productive and I think he has a good 3 years left in him.. He has played his way to a new contract if he isn't too greedy.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Hampton has 2 more solid seasons. I was actually impressed with him this season. But NT is a huge priority. Shoot our DL in general is a huge priority.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    The Steelers have shown they are pretty smart cookies when it comes to signing, re-signing & letting go of players.

They RARELY overpay. That's not to say that they never overpay, but compared to the 'good' deals, it's pretty rare.

If the Steelers have plans to bring Casey back, chances are they already have a sum in mind, and if Casey's demands exceed that, well, you only need to look at how much room the Steelers 'gave up' to Alan Faneca to realise that the Steelers call the shots in contract negotiations.

Losing Casey Hampton SIGNIFICANTLY effects the route the Steelers go in FA & the draft. Given that the Steelers tend to try & solve all the 'needs' before the draft, if Casey isn't signed, expect a FA to be brought in. Unlike a few of you, Chadman has little confidence in Hoke being pushed into a starting role. We were all up in arms when the pass defense fell away this season- how will we react if the Steelers run defense is significantly effected by losing a Pro Bowl NT next season? Will Mr LeBeau be allowed to live?
    Hey! That's SAINT LeBeau to you, buddy!!!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Casey said.. "I came to camp in shape, out of shape, I still got the job done."

I'm having a hard time understanding the Hampton talk as well. He is old but very productive and I think he has a good 3 years left in him.. He has played his way to a new contract if he isn't too greedy.
    It's precisely that kind of talk that I'm talking about. Acting as if rules of physics shouldn't/don't apply to him is a dead giveaway to me where he is in terms of attitude. What--fat doesn't affect his stamina? Is he the only one in the planet who it doesn't? Lard doesn't affect his durability?

I'm not saying he's not still effective--hell, most of being a good 34 NT is not being budged in the run game (and who could budge that hydrant). And he's naturally instinctive and very experienced. I'm not even saying that our older guys should be subjected to the same rigid hard/fast practice & workout schedule as everyone else.

But to bring that sense of entitlement--I think that's bad. Hines doesn't say that kind of stuff. Ray Lewis doesn't expect no laxed rules. Neither does Peyton. Or Faneca. Or even T.O. The coach should be the one to evaluate that.

I don't care what he thinks... being fat and out-of-shape has a bearing on everything, most notably durability and longevity. I just think he (and we) have been fortunate that he's been relatively injury-free these past couple years.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

I will agree with you on that one point Shoe. That attitude at best is complacent. Even if can "get the job" done at 60%...why should we accept that? Why wouldn't he give us 100% for all that cash? I do think he works when he is here but his preseasoning condition leaves alot to be desired.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Casey Hamptons job is to clog the middle. Every great NT looks unheathy and overweight. When his production declines then I will worry about his work ethic.

I don't need my NT to talk like Hines or have the focus of Peyton Manning. I need him fat and stout. Do you know what years Casey was lazy in the offseason? He has been with us long enough to prove he has the talent.

His 60% is pro bowl most years... I don't want 100% Hoke if it's still below Caseys production
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Casey Hamptons job is to clog the middle. Every great NT looks unheathy and overweight. When his production declines then I will worry about his work ethic.

I don't need my NT to talk like Hines or have the focus of Peyton Manning. I need him fat and stout. Do you know what years Casey was lazy in the offseason? He has been with us long enough to prove he has the talent.
    The only question I have...is how much better would he be if he came to camp in shape? Its anyones guess.
    Trolls are people too.