Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Keith Butler to interview for Miami DC job

  1. #1
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Keith Butler to interview for Miami DC job

    [url="http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10013/1027940-66.stm"]http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10013/1027940-66.stm[/url]

    Steelers lose one defensive assistant, possibly another
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The Steelers have lost another assistant from their coaching staff and could be in danger of losing one more.

    Lou Spanos, a defensive assistant for the past 15 seasons, has agreed to become the linebackers coach for the Washington Redskins under new Coach Mike Shanahan. The Redskins have hired former Steelers defensive coordinator Jim Haslett to install the 3-4 defense in Washington.

    Also, Steelers linebacker coach Keith Butler is a candidate to become defensive coordinator with the Miami Dolphins. He has been granted permission by the Steelers to speak with Dolphins Coach Tony Sporano.

    Coach Mike Tomlin has already had three changes on his coaching staff: Offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and special teams coordinator Bob Ligashesky were fired and quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson retired,

    Meantime, Omar Khan, the team's football and business administration coordinator, interviewed yesterday with new Seattle Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll about becoming their general manager. He is one of four known candidates for the position.
    @_Hellgrammite

  2. #2
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Re: Keith Butler to interview for Miami DC job

    cha-cha-changes...


    Wasn't Butler tagged as LeBeau's future successor? Hmm....is this the opening for Jerry Olsavsky to finally get the LB coaching job he's applied for a few times?


    Honestly though- forced or not, a few changes in the coaching ranks might not hurt at all.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 10
    Wins- 2
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $60,050.00


  3. #3
    Starter

    User Info Menu

    Re: Keith Butler to interview for Miami DC job

    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    cha-cha-changes...


    Wasn't Butler tagged as LeBeau's future successor? Hmm....is this the opening for Jerry Olsavsky to finally get the LB coaching job he's applied for a few times?


    Honestly though- forced or not, a few changes in the coaching ranks might not hurt at all.
    Or it might hurt alot.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Re: Keith Butler to interview for Miami DC job

    Yeah. I am thinking our linebackers have been pretty damn good over the years.
    @_Hellgrammite

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler

    User Info Menu

    Re: Keith Butler to interview for Miami DC job

    This is one assistant coach I would like to stay. Although, he's been the LB coach for yrs and this is really the 1st "sniff" he's gotten as a DC. Not sure what that says.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Re: Keith Butler to interview for Miami DC job

    Butler isn't the only one interviewing so we may be safe:

    [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4823701"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4823701[/url]

    By Adam Schefter
    ESPN.com
    Archive
    The Miami Dolphins interviewed former Virginia coach Al Groh for their defensive coordinator job on Wednesday, according to two league sources.

    The Dolphins would like to make their decision by the end of the week.

    Groh has a long history with Dolphins executive vice president/football operations Bill Parcells. The two men have spent well over a decade together at collegiate and NFL coaching positions. Groh was an assistant under Parcells when the New York Giants won Super Bowl XXV and when the New England Patriots lost Super Bowl XXXI.

    Groh said on Monday he would welcome the chance to join Parcells in Miami.

    "I've done it five times," Groh said if working for Parcells. "Some people would say that I'm nuts. Some people would say that I'm fortunate. So, having done it five times already, yeah, obviously, there's a track record there.

    "I have a few things on the table right now that I'm interested in, and that might be one more to put on there."

    AFC East blogger Tim Griffin contributed to this report.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

  7. #7
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Re: Keith Butler to interview for Miami DC job

    Not good news...the frontrunner for the Miami D.C. job looks like he'll stay in the college game, meaning that it is more likely that Butler bolts to South Beach.

    [url]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4828320[/url]

    Sources: Groh to go with Yellow Jackets
    By Heather Dinich
    ESPN.com
    Updated: January 15, 2010, 9:42 AM ET

    Former Virginia head coach Al Groh will be named Georgia Tech's next defensive coordinator, sources close to the situation said Friday.

    Groh, who was fired following the Cavaliers' 3-9 season, will replace Dave Wommack, who was fired last week after two seasons under coach Paul Johnson.

    The Yellow Jackets allowed at least 30 points in six games but still finished the season with an 11-3 record. They lost to Iowa 24-14 in the FedEx Orange Bowl.

    Groh interviewed for the defensive coordinator position with the Miami Dolphins on Wednesday and was reportedly a front-runner for the position there, but he also told the Roanoke Times he has "no qualms about being an assistant coach" at the college level.

    That's a position he hasn't held since 1988, when he was offensive coordinator at South Carolina.

    Heather Dinich covers the ACC for ESPN.com. Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was used in this report.


    NFL player locker room talk: Discussing what can be done about racial inequality and criminal justice reform.

    Presidential locker room talk: Discussing involuntary gynecological exams.

    According to the highest office in the country, some "very fine people" marched with torches in a violent protest in Charlottesville, but participating in a non-violent protest on a football field means you are an S.O.B. who should be fired.

  8. #8
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Re: Keith Butler to interview for Miami DC job

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Not good news...the frontrunner for the Miami D.C. job looks like he'll stay in the college game, meaning that it is more likely that Butler bolts to South Beach.

    [url]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4828320[/url]

    Sources: Groh to go with Yellow Jackets
    By Heather Dinich
    ESPN.com
    Updated: January 15, 2010, 9:42 AM ET

    Former Virginia head coach Al Groh will be named Georgia Tech's next defensive coordinator, sources close to the situation said Friday.

    Groh, who was fired following the Cavaliers' 3-9 season, will replace Dave Wommack, who was fired last week after two seasons under coach Paul Johnson.

    The Yellow Jackets allowed at least 30 points in six games but still finished the season with an 11-3 record. They lost to Iowa 24-14 in the FedEx Orange Bowl.

    Groh interviewed for the defensive coordinator position with the Miami Dolphins on Wednesday and was reportedly a front-runner for the position there, but he also told the Roanoke Times he has "no qualms about being an assistant coach" at the college level.

    That's a position he hasn't held since 1988, when he was offensive coordinator at South Carolina.

    Heather Dinich covers the ACC for ESPN.com. Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was used in this report.
    I think there is a very good chance that Butler will get this job. Should we be concerned that the the defensive assistants are like rats abandoning a sinking ship? Lots of potential change coming.

  9. #9
    Legend

    User Info Menu

    Re: Keith Butler to interview for Miami DC job

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Not good news...the frontrunner for the Miami D.C. job looks like he'll stay in the college game, meaning that it is more likely that Butler bolts to South Beach.

    [url]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4828320[/url]

    Sources: Groh to go with Yellow Jackets
    By Heather Dinich
    ESPN.com
    Updated: January 15, 2010, 9:42 AM ET

    Former Virginia head coach Al Groh will be named Georgia Tech's next defensive coordinator, sources close to the situation said Friday.

    Groh, who was fired following the Cavaliers' 3-9 season, will replace Dave Wommack, who was fired last week after two seasons under coach Paul Johnson.

    The Yellow Jackets allowed at least 30 points in six games but still finished the season with an 11-3 record. They lost to Iowa 24-14 in the FedEx Orange Bowl.

    Groh interviewed for the defensive coordinator position with the Miami Dolphins on Wednesday and was reportedly a front-runner for the position there, but he also told the Roanoke Times he has "no qualms about being an assistant coach" at the college level.

    That's a position he hasn't held since 1988, when he was offensive coordinator at South Carolina.

    Heather Dinich covers the ACC for ESPN.com. Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter was used in this report.
    I think there is a very good chance that Butler will get this job. Should we be concerned that the the defensive assistants are like rats abandoning a sinking ship? Lots of potential change coming.
    They aren't leaving for lateral positions; they are leaving for promotions. I don't think that is quite the same as rats abandoning a sinking ship...

  10. #10
    Hall of Famer

    User Info Menu

    Re: Keith Butler to interview for Miami DC job

    Adam Schefter tweeted this earlier this morning:

    Adam_Schefter

    ESPN's Heather Dinich reporting Al Groh will be defensive coordinator at Georgia Tech; also, Dolphins not expected to hire Keith Butler.
    That is a nice little nugget. Until they hire somebody else though, I won't be completely sold on it.


    Another tweet he mentions that its interesting that 3 AFC East teams will feature new Def. Coordinators (Cheaters, Bills, Dolphins). Doesn't always mean they will be unsuccessful, but its nice they are on our schedule I suppose.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •