Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PFW Ranks the Off. Coordinators

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: PFW Ranks the Off. Coordinators

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis
    So if we are a win ugly grind it out team, why do we throw the ball 42 times against the browns in december?
    cause we lost 4 straight and said phuck it?

If we're not built to have a 4,000 yd passer then why do we throw the ball so much?
    cause we won a SB last year throwing and said phuck it?

if we are built for power running and play action why is that not a part of our offense?
    color=#800000]cause we won a SB last year throwing and said phuck it?[/color]
    Honestly though... I don't know if you agree with the writer or hate the OC or both.
    I think the whole description is lazy and horribly terrible.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    So if we are a win ugly grind it out team, why do we throw the ball 42 times against the browns in december?
    If we're not built to have a 4,000 yd passer then why do we throw the ball so much?
    if we are built for power running and play action why is that not a part of our offense?
    if our QB is the best in the league at being outside the pocket and making things happen, why are there no bootlegs or the like in our packages?
    Ben is the best when he breaks the pocket.. He isn't the best roll out passer or bootleg passer.... they are 2 different things. How the hell would Ben get outside the pocket if you roll it... if anything you cut off half the field rolling him out and give the D a break.

We tried to run bootlegs but they didn't work.. the unblocked guy didn't bite on the fake and it was an easy sack. Maybe Ben didn't sell it enough...

Jake the Snake was a great bootleg passer.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    what a horse**** assessment of our offense. total piece of garbage article.
    That's what I thought.

12. Bruce Arians / Steelers
    Despite some questions about whether Arians would be retained, evaluators contend that the Steelers' offensive coordinator should not be at fault for having to modify his philosophy because of the way the defense repeatedly put the offense in a trailing position.
    SCOUT'S TAKE: "His running back (Willie Parker) was hurt all year. He's got (Rashard) Mendenhall, who is not real sure what to do and definitely does not know what to do against the blitz. The line is built to get leads, and then they can dictate the plan on offense, mixing up the power run and play-action. The offense basically struggled because the defense gave up so many quick points, and they were always in a hole, trying to catch up. Steelers football is winning ugly, 21-17. They are not built to have a 4,000-yard passer. They run the ball, play good defense and score enough points to win."

Green

Blue

Red

In short ...

Well put gentlemen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So if we are a win ugly grind it out team, why do we throw the ball 42 times against the browns in december? If we're not built to have a 4,000 yd passer then why do we throw the ball so much?
    Because our defense let up 13 points against them. Our offense had to throw it every down to even stay in the game!!!!!!!!!!!
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    if our QB is the best in the league at being outside the pocket and making things happen, why are there no bootlegs or the like in our packages?
    Ben is the best when he breaks the pocket.. He isn't the best roll out passer or bootleg passer.... they are 2 different things. How the hell would Ben get outside the pocket if you roll it... if anything you cut off half the field rolling him out and give the D a break.

We tried to run bootlegs but they didn't work.. the unblocked guy didn't bite on the fake and it was an easy sack. Maybe Ben didn't sell it enough...

I have watched every single snap of every game over Ben's career.....when has this occurred? I remember maybe one or two times???? Not trying to be a joker....dead serious....
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How sad, that an "insider" publication (and one I used to read regularly) has fallen to become nothing but another retread. That assessment of us is what the casual fan might say about the Steelers, and their traditionally style of ball.

ANYONE who has watched us with any insight can tell you that that assessment simply does not apply to this team.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    How sad, that an "insider" publication (and one I used to read regularly) has fallen to become nothing but another retread. That assessment of us is what the casual fan might say about the Steelers, and their traditionally style of ball.

ANYONE who has watched us with any insight can tell you that that assessment simply does not apply to this team.
    exactly.. it's like someone peaked into an old trib thread and gave an assessment.
    They spoke on Austin in Dallas but said nothing about Wallace. They didn't say a word about Holmes, Heath or Hines either. Idiots.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[quote=Mister Pittsburgh]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":3go486of

I have watched every single snap of every game over Ben's career.....when has this occurred? I remember maybe one or two times???? Not trying to be a joker....dead serious....[/quote:3go486of]

I don't remember too many either, but I do agree with his assessment. Just because Ben breaks big plays when he breaks the pocket doesn't necessarily make him an effective rollout passer. It the fact that when he breaks the pocket and gets out of containment, he buys extra time and the play gets extended, allowing recievers to find openings.

Legend

User Info Menu

[quote=Mister Pittsburgh]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mister Pittsburgh":2f3dh283

I have watched every single snap of every game over Ben's career.....when has this occurred? I remember maybe one or two times???? Not trying to be a joker....dead serious....[/quote:2f3dh283]
    In 2008 we ran what appeared to be a play action bootleg but the DE never bit and by the time Ben turned he was dead in the water. It never worked but we ran it a lot. It always left Ben one on one with a DE or LB who didn't bite on it. It was a terrible play and thank goodness we scrapped it.

Starter

User Info Menu

The bootleg worked when we had a run game that opponents feared.