Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LaCanfora reports we have hired...

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers find their new offensive line coach

Steelers find their new offensive line coach

By John Harris
    PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, January 14, 2010
    [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_662121.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 62121.html[/url]

The Steelers moved quickly to hire a new offensive line coach Wednesday with the addition of former Buffalo Bills assistant Sean Kugler, according to NFL.com.

Kugler, who was released last week along with the rest of Buffalo's staff, spent two years with the Bills. He was an assistant with Detroit from 2001-2005.

Kugler replaces Larry Zierlein, who was fired last week.

Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler, considered the likely replacement for legendary defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau when he retires, was granted permission to speak with the Miami Dolphins about that team's defensive coordinator opening, according to South Florida media reports.

The Steelers will have another hole to fill, as ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that the Washington Redskins hired Lou Spanos as their linebackers coach.

Spanos has spent 16 seasons on the Steelers' coaching staff, including 15 as an assistant linebackers coach.

Butler just finished his seventh season with the Steelers. He coached Cleveland's linebackers from 1999-2002, where he worked with Dolphins coach Tony Sparano for two seasons. He is expected to interview with the Dolphins before the end of the weekend.

Butler's association with Sparano and his familiarity with the 3-4 defense make him attractive to Miami. However, former New York Jets and University of Virginia coach Al Groh, who has worked in the past with Miami executive vice president/football operations Bill Parcells, is viewed as the frontrunner to fill the vacancy created by Paul Pasqualoni's firing earlier this week.

Groh is said to be fielding other offers, including one as Georgia Tech's defensive coordinator. Groh interviewed with Parcells yesterday, according to ESPN.com. If he doesn't accept the Dolphins' job, that could open the door for Butler.

Notes: Steelers football and business administration officer Omar Khan is among four finalists for Seattle's general manager's vacancy. Khan interviewed Tuesday with new coach Pete Carroll and Seahawks CEO Tod Leiweke, who said Carroll may have the final say on the hire, depending on the candidate ... Linebacker Derrick Doggett, a special-teams star with Winnipeg of the Canadian Football League, has signed with the Steelers, the Winnipeg Sun reported.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers find their new offensive line coach

I don't know anything about the new offensive line coach, but his track record is unimpressive, to say the least. I was hoping for either an up and coming coach or somebody with a solid track record, and it looks like we got neither.

When Tomlin hired Larry Z, he had a similarly unimpressive track record (I think it was the Browns and Bills that he had worked for). The excuse then (and it was reasonable) was that the desirable candidates were gone b/c the Steelers were hiring late in the process.

Perhaps this guy will offer a different philosophy or blocking scheme, but I'm not a big fan of bringing in people with no track record of success who worked for losing teams.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It is early here and I don't want to overreact, but do we simply hire the first guy that comes in and is willing to take our offer? The Bills line was not good last year (the article doesn't even say if he was an offensive line coach). Didn't we get Zierlin from the Bills?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: LaCanfora reports we have hired...

I like his approach and reputation at least.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    I don't know anything about the new offensive line coach, but his track record is unimpressive, to say the least. I was hoping for either an up and coming coach or somebody with a solid track record, and it looks like we got neither.

When Tomlin hired Larry Z, he had a similarly unimpressive track record (I think it was the Browns and Bills that he had worked for). The excuse then (and it was reasonable) was that the desirable candidates were gone b/c the Steelers were hiring late in the process.

Perhaps this guy will offer a different philosophy or blocking scheme, but I'm not a big fan of bringing in people with no track record of success who worked for losing teams.
    The guy has been here less than 24 hours and it appears from other articles that he made a mess in Buffalo serviceable. Why don't we give him a chance to prove himself before we start the "fire Kugler" threads.

You above all others should recognize he is "innocent until proven guilty."
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

The guy has been here less than 24 hours and it appears from other articles that he made a mess in Buffalo serviceable. Why don't we give him a chance to prove himself before we start the "fire Kugler" threads.

You above all others should recognize he is "innocent until proven guilty."
    Yeah...as long as he didn't have anything to do with the decisions that led them to have like 3 rookies starting because they dumped all their meaningful talent, I'm cool with it.

And considering that line had about as many NFL starts combined as 5 of us here on the board, they didn't do a bad job. Plus didn't help that they fired their OC a week before the season. He was really working with some dire circumstances. And how does anyone really know he wasn't a sought after coach. Just because you've never heard of him? He very well may be an up and comer. But I guess his worth will be seen next year on the field. I'll give him a chance.

Hey Kugel, icks-nay on the orn-pay.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Rookie

User Info Menu

Sean Kugler

Offensive Line; born August 9, 1966, Lockport, N.Y.
    Offensive line Texas-El Paso 1985-89. No pro playing experience.

Coaching Experience:
    Texas-El Paso 1993-2000
    Detroit Lions 2001-05 (Asst. Offensive Line/Tight Ends)
    Boise State 2006
    Buffalo Bills 2007-2009
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let's hope that we can follow up one former Bills' assistant coach hiring...

with another...

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pittsburgh

Kugler new o-line coach

Kugler to become new offensive line coach for Steelers
    Thursday, January 14, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Buffalo Bills offensive line coach Sean Kugler has agreed to become the new offensive line coach for the Steelers, replacing Larry Zierlein, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Kugler has met the past two days with Coach Mike Tomlin at the Steelers South Side facility and is in the process of officially signing a contract with the organization. He was part of a Bills coaching staff that was let go after the regular season.

Zierlein and special teams coordinator Bob Ligashesky were fired by Tomlin after the season.

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10014/1028260-66.stm#ixzz0cbRZDtBk"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10014/10 ... z0cbRZDtBk[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Kugler new o-line coach

Too bad his first name isn't Freddy.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.