Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kiffin to USC

Legend

Re: Kiffin to USC

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Any chance that former Steeler, Tee Martin, gets a look as the new Tennessee coach? He's on the coaching staff for New Mexico (from memory) & there is A LOT of buzz on his facebook at the moment about the possibility...
    I doubt it... He is like Mean Joe Greene back when we hired Cowher... great Vol player but not enough buzz for the booster... Maybe in a few years after he gets more pub on his own.

I'm a undercover Vol fan... I made a lot of friends and money scalping tickets my freshman year. With no other football in the state at the time those tickets were gravy and you could get five at a time. All you needed was another students activity card and we would take turns sitting in lines for days.

Hall of Famer

Fulmer will most likely be returning as AD (as reported today)... He will have to choose his coach quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Any chance that former Steeler, Tee Martin, gets a look as the new Tennessee coach? He's on the coaching staff for New Mexico (from memory) & there is A LOT of buzz on his facebook at the moment about the possibility...
    Damn, the only thing that I could ever remember about Tee Martin's career in Pittsburgh was that the Steelers drafted him back in 2000 even though Tom Brady and Marc Bulger were still on the board. Other than that little factoid his Steelers career was pretty insignificant.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    If you knew the SEC and the uphill battle he faced getting recruits to a state that doesn't produce alot you would undertand why he jumped. Maybe once a decade TN can have a season in the SEC where they are better than the 3rd best team. Ninety percent of the time they will always fall into #3 to #5 at best.

At USC he has a true national recruiting ground. USC can step into every state in the US and have a credible chance to grab a 5-star recruit. He would never do that at TN.

IMO a smart move on his part. His success will be determined based on whether he can mature a little and avoid the recruiting snafus he seems to have tendency to commit.

And he's a west coast guy, as Nky pointed out.

Good move for Lane and good move for USC.

Legend

A quick question, what has Kiffin won that makes him such a hot coach? Is it his Dad?

He was 5-15 at Oakland and 7-6 at Tennessee. Why is he seen as a winner? I know he is young but the Raider job ended real quick and while at Tennessee all he did was get in trouble with the Sec commish and I remember a few players and armed robbery at UT.

Dude is being treated like a champion. I don't want to hear about the USC offensive coordinator cause any OC could have won at USC. They were stacked trump tight with Talent.

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    If you knew the SEC and the uphill battle he faced getting recruits to a state that doesn't produce alot you would undertand why he jumped. Maybe once a decade TN can have a season in the SEC where they are better than the 3rd best team. Ninety percent of the time they will always fall into #3 to #5 at best.

At USC he has a true national recruiting ground. USC can step into every state in the US and have a credible chance to grab a 5-star recruit. He would never do that at TN.

IMO a smart move on his part. His success will be determined based on whether he can mature a little and avoid the recruiting snafus he seems to have tendency to commit.
    No way.... Tennessee gets great players. They just had the worst QB in the SEC.
    Their D was crazy good. USC is losing recruits everyday due to the Pete Carroll and sanctions to come.

You don't need every 4 star recruit to win in the SEC.. you just need a QB to complete a few passes.

You don't beat Florida, Alabama and LSU in the SEC without 4 and 5 star recruits who make the successful transition to college. Those teams are loaded every year and just come at you in waves.

If you aren't getting players equal to those three teams you may have one or two good years where you get lucky on a few players, but it will be those three teams at the top 95% of the time.

The Miami area alone produces more talent than the entire state of Tennessee every single year.
    You are talking some crazy junk Veedo. Tennessee has been a national power for a very long time. Hell, Chadman even brought up our very own Tee Martin. You know, that guy who won a national championship for the Vols after Peyton Manning left.

Sure they are eating behind the Gators, Tigers, and Tide at the SEC trough, but they are a few good recruits and stable staff away from crashing the party.

"I hate him. Everybody says I'm supposed to be polite when I talk to you all, but I hate him..." "He talks too much, he doesn't make sense, he's fat, he's sloppy, he acts like he's the best thing since sliced bread. He's ugly, he stinks, his mouth stinks, his breath stinks, and basically his soul stinks, too.

"Not too many people have personalities like that and survive in life. I don't know how he does it."

-Kris Jenkins on Warren Sapp

Legend

A quick question, what has Kiffin won that makes him such a hot coach? Is it his Dad?

He was 5-15 at Oakland and 7-6 at Tennessee. Why is he seen as a winner? I know he is young but the Raider job ended real quick and while at Tennessee all he did was get in trouble with the Sec commish and I remember a few players and armed robbery at UT.

Dude is being treated like a champion. I don't want to hear about the USC offensive coordinator cause any OC could have won at USC. They were stacked trump tight with Talent.
    So why don't they win the national championship every year? They're always stacked with talent....

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d

So why don't they win the national championship every year? They're always stacked with talent....
    I meant it in a Charlie Weiss kind of way... as a HC why is Kiffin a hot commodity?

I wrote this long post about USC's talent level but I edited it because everyone knows USC was stacked under Carroll. They won 8 games a year before they took the field. They gave us Troy P.