Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spanos to the Skins

Pittsburgh

Spanos to the Skins

Steelers lose defensive assistant
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    It appears the Steelers have lost another assistant from their coaching staff.

Lou Spanos, a defensive assistant for the past 15 seasons, has agreed to become the linebackers coach for the Washington Redskins under new Coach Mike Shanahan. The Redskins have hired former Steelers defensive coordinator Jim Haslett to install the 3-4 defense in Washington.

Coach Mike Tomlin has already had three changes on his coaching staff: Offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and special teams coordinator Bob Ligashesky were fired and quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson retired,

Meantime, Omar Khan, the team's football and business administration coordinator, interviewed yesterday with new Seattle Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll about becoming their general manager. He is one of four known candidates for the position.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10013/10 ... z0cW6DRluV

Hall of Famer

Re: Spanos to the Skins

Haynesworth is now going to be a 3-4 NT? I bet he is just thrilled.

Good for Spanos. I thought it was interesting that Shanahan was at our camp this Summer.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Haynesworth is now going to be a 3-4 NT? I bet he is just thrilled.

Good for Spanos. I thought it was interesting that Shanahan was at our camp this Summer.
    Shanahan visited several camps last summer. I think the Spanos hiring had more to do with Haslett being named D.C. in Washington.

Legend

Butler may go to the Dolphins to be the DC. He was the heir apparent to LeBeau. Could be a big loss to this defense when we can least afford it.

Steelers lose one defensive assistant, possibly another
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The Steelers have lost another assistant from their coaching staff and could be in danger of losing one more.

Lou Spanos, a defensive assistant for the past 15 seasons, has agreed to become the linebackers coach for the Washington Redskins under new Coach Mike Shanahan. The Redskins have hired former Steelers defensive coordinator Jim Haslett to install the 3-4 defense in Washington.

Also, Steelers linebacker coach Keith Butler is a candidate to become defensive coordinator with the Miami Dolphins. He has been granted permission by the Steelers to speak with Dolphins Coach Tony Sporano.

Coach Mike Tomlin has already had three changes on his coaching staff: Offensive line coach Larry Zierlein and special teams coordinator Bob Ligashesky were fired and quarterbacks coach Ken Anderson retired,

Meantime, Omar Khan, the team's football and business administration coordinator, interviewed yesterday with new Seattle Seahawks Coach Pete Carroll about becoming their general manager. He is one of four known candidates for the position.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10013/10 ... z0cWLWuzKr
    A hardcore conspiracy theorist might hypothesize that all the adherents and disciples of the 3-4 defense were being allowed to leave What could be next?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Butler would be a huge loss. He has been the heir apparent for a few years, and I'd hate to see him leave.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Butler would be a huge loss. He has been the heir apparent for a few years, and I'd hate to see him leave.
    If LeBeau had stepped down following this season, as he should have, Butler would likely be OUR DC...

I hope Tomlin does his homework before hiring assistants. His hires to this point have not been overly impressive (Ligashevsky, Zierlein, etc.).

Sirius NFL Radio reporting Butler did in fact accept the position with Miami.

Eff.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Pro Bowler

Do the Skins have any interest in BA?

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek

Eff.
    The 3-4 bandwagon is starting to leave town. All aboard!!!!!!!!!
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek

Eff.
    Interesting ... he turned Whiz down last year to be the Cardinals D-Coordinator. I agree with the "Eff"
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>