Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers offense plays better against 3-4 teams.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers offense plays better against 3-4 teams.

I'm not a huge stat guy. I believe that they usually don't tell the full story. However, I noticed throughout the season that the Steelers' offense played really well against 3-4 teams. Now, I'm sure some will say that we run a 3-4 defense so our offense is used to it. That may be true, but our offense's success against the 3-4 only seems to be growing. Maybe our guards get exposed against good 4-3 DTs. Maybe Hartwig is not good in space against 4-3 MLBs. Whatever it is, the difference in offensive production is surprising. Here are our 2009 results for Rush yards and Net yards against 4-3 and 3-4 teams.

Games against 4-3 teams…

Tenn – Rush -36 Net 357
    Chi- Rush 105, Net 308
    Cin- Rush 102, Net 373
    Det- Rush 82, Net 344
    Minn- Rush 107, Net 259
    Cin- Rush 80, Net 226
    Oak- Rush132, Net 401
    Total- Rush avg. 92, Net avg. 324

Games against 3-4 teams…

SD- Rush 177, Net 497
    Cle- Rush 140, Net 543
    Den- Rush 173 Net 375
    KC- Rush 114, Net 516
    Balt- Rush 153, Net 298
    Cle- Rush 77, Net 218
    GB- Rush 65, Net 537
    Balt- Rush 48, Net 286
    Mia Rush 202, Net 403
    Total-Rush avg. 128, Net avg. 408

Even though our worst game was against a 3-4 defense (Cleveland the 2nd time), we averaged 36 more yards per game rushing and 86 more yards total against 3-4 defenses. Our five best rushing games and five best total net yardage games came against a 3-4 defense. In 7 of the 9 games against 3-4 defenses, we either had a top five rushing game or a top five net yardage game.

BTW, next season we play only seven 3-4 defenses, down from nine this season.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers offense plays better against 3-4 teams.

I agree with you...numbers never do tell the whole story. :P

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Funny, but the trend is undeniable.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Too many variables. Weather. Game situations. Score. Injuries. Etc, etc, etc.

Just one example for you...that first Baltimore game. No Ben meant we were going to run the hell out of the ball no matter what kind of D we faced.

Baseball is a game of numbers...football is a game of the eyeballs.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":ifqbmt67
    Too many variables. Weather. Game situations. Score. Injuries. Etc, etc, etc.

Just one example for you...that first Baltimore game. No Ben meant we were going to run the hell out of the ball no matter what kind of D we faced.

Baseball is a game of numbers...football is a game of the eyeballs.[/quote:ifqbmt67]

Yes, and my eyeballs told me we were moving the ball better against 3-4 teams. That is why I looked up the stats.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here's one reason why- it's easier to zone block against a 3-4. Interior anyway, cause your zoning against the NG and the LB.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

There you go. The stats are undeniable. We should switch to the 4-3. Superbowl 41, here we come!

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not a stat hound... but I see nothing wrong with using stats in a thread to try to make a point. We all watch the games.. well, most of us.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    I'm not a stat hound... but I see nothing wrong with using stats in a thread to try to make a point. We all watch the games.. well, most of us.
    And yet, to you they don't seem to matter when they're not in Arian's favor....

That's all I'll say, for the purpose of not derailing this thread. :P

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    There you go. The stats are undeniable. We should switch to the 4-3. Superbowl 41, here we come!
    Missing the playoffs turns everyone into a jacka$$ (me included).