Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zone Blocking System....

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Zone Blocking System....

This line is indeed ill-fitted for the zone blocking scheme. Also, in the ZB running scheme, you use a lot of cut back type running plays. Mendy had a lot of success when he made the first guy miss and reversed track a bit. With the size of this unit and no indication yet there will be any personnel changes, we should indeed find us a good "man -up" blocking type of coach to fix this unit. We're on the same page Chadman.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Starter

User Info Menu

I think the whole "zone blocking scheme" is a bit overblown. Did you watch the Ravens game this weekend? Ray Rice went 81 yards on a play that utilized zone-blocking. They replayed it over and over and the analyst mentioned more than once how well that play was zone blocked.

The Ravens line is gigantic too, no?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It was once explained to me that there are two different zone blocking styles. One uses more fluid, smaller athletes. The other depends on larger blockers.

Still, our best running plays are mostly the ones that have been in the playbook forever (since before Zierlin or Arians).
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Coach Z came here with the intent to implement ZBS which can be effective for both running and passing. His downfall was that the schemes he employed were never able to establish a consistent level of dominance in either the running game or the passing game. IMO that is what ultimately cost him his job. Tomlin essentially gave him the time and the results never came.

I do agree that with the OL we have a more smashmouth approach may be warranted. Except for Hartwig and Colon I don't think any of our starting 5 OL fit the characteristics that typically define a good ZBS lineman.

I woulkd l,ove to hear that Joe Bugel was getting considered for the OL coach job. The guy is very good at what he does but he is also in the LeBeau age group where he may want to ratchet it back unlike LeBeau. Tomlin may also want someone who could be a longer term solution for stability at that position.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    I think Coach Z came here with the intent to implement ZBS which can be effective for both running and passing. His downfall was that the schemes he employed were never able to establish a consistent level of dominance in either the running game or the passing game. IMO that is what ultimately cost him his job. Tomlin essentially gave him the time and the results never came.

I do agree that with the OL we have a more smashmouth approach may be warranted. Except for Hartwig and Colon I don't think any of our starting 5 OL fit the characteristics that typically define a good ZBS lineman.

I woulkd l,ove to hear that Joe Bugel was getting considered for the OL coach job. The guy is very good at what he does but he is also in the LeBeau age group where he may want to ratchet it back unlike LeBeau. Tomlin may also want someone who could be a longer term solution for stability at that position.
    I thought Bugel retired.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

I thought Bugel retired.
    I haven't seen anything about that. He was active as the Redskins OL coach last season. However he is 69 so that may have happened after Zorn got fired.

But what does retired really mean to any of these guys when someone brings dollars their way.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

I thought Bugel retired.
    I haven't seen anything about that. He was active as the Redskins OL coach last season. However he is 69 so that may have happened after Zorn got fired.

But what does retired really mean to any of these guys when someone brings dollars their way.
    I think the retirement was recent.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by winwithd
    Does it say that BA doesn't know how to utilize the talent he has to work with?
    Maybe the line's blocking scheme isn't his choice to make, I don't know. But it falls along the same lines as not throwing to your 6'7" TE or 6'4" receiver in the red zone. Or not having any roll outs or run options for a QB with incredible speed and quickness.
    I thought we threw to Miller a ton this year.. "compared to most Steeler years." Miller dropped a few more then usually, which is not much, but he also had an incredible grab in the Miami game. I think Ben throws to Miller at a decent clip overall.

If you are talking about Dennis Dixon then I need only remind you of Pat White.. Dixon was all we had and we used him perfectly. No one expected it to be that close.
    If you are talking about Ben in regards to speed then I'll stop here.
    He is talking about Spaeth, and I agree with him. 6'7" 270lbs. Was a 'pass catching TE out of Minnesota'....yet we ask him to strictly block. I am sure Heath is covered a lot as Ben goes to him a lot. Just like Wallace was open cause Holmes & Hines are covered a lot, Spaeth should also be able to sneak out once in a while.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Maybe the line's blocking scheme isn't his choice to make, I don't know. But it falls along the same lines as not throwing to your 6'7" TE or 6'4" receiver in the red zone. Or not having any roll outs or run options for a QB with incredible speed and quickness.
    I thought we threw to Miller a ton this year.. "compared to most Steeler years." Miller dropped a few more then usually, which is not much, but he also had an incredible grab in the Miami game. I think Ben throws to Miller at a decent clip overall.

If you are talking about Dennis Dixon then I need only remind you of Pat White.. Dixon was all we had and we used him perfectly. No one expected it to be that close.
    He is talking about Spaeth, and I agree with him. 6'7" 270lbs. Was a 'pass catching TE out of Minnesota'....yet we ask him to strictly block. I am sure Heath is covered a lot as Ben goes to him a lot. Just like Wallace was open cause Holmes & Hines are covered a lot, Spaeth should also be able to sneak out once in a while.
    Sorry, I don't know our players bodies that well...
    He filled in nice for Heath a few years back. Is it against the law to release 2 TE's?
    and Spaeth's blocking is the weakest part of his game IMO.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh

Sorry, I don't know our players bodies that well...
    He filled in nice for Heath a few years back. Is it against the law to release 2 TE's?
    and Spaeth's blocking is the weakest part of his game IMO.
    This is part of my problem with BA. They want a big target so they draft Sweed, and yet he is never in there inside the 20's and how much bigger can you get than 6'7"? Spaeth has shown he can catch when thrown to. Our secondary was abused by large TE's in the redzone in the past....this year specifically (Finley-Heap), when matched up with smaller CB's.
    @_Hellgrammite