Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sweed vs. Braylon Edwards

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sweed vs. Braylon Edwards

Does anyone see two similar players???

-both drop big time passes, but Edwards keeps getting on the field & Sweed doesn't.

If you ask me, when Sweed has been out there he's gotten open, just couldn't finish the plays .... Edwards too can get open but fails to make the catch.

Are the Steelers too impatient or just want perfection??? or am I missing something here???
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Sweed vs. Braylon Edwards

Is it impatience or perhaps an attitude problem for Sweed?
    Honestly we as fans aren't at practices and meeting so it could be anything.
    IMHO we really havnt given him a chance.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    Does anyone see two similar players???

-both drop big time passes, but Edwards keeps getting on the field & Sweed doesn't.

If you ask me, when Sweed has been out there he's gotten open, just couldn't finish the plays .... Edwards too can get open but fails to make the catch.

Are the Steelers too impatient or just want perfection??? or am I missing something here???
    Yes.
    1.) We had a potential blooming star in Wallace that we couldn't keep off the field. And it worked That limited the reps Sweed received.

2.) Sweed (probably) just gave up and cashed it in - not putting forth effort in practice leading to his IR.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well, the sample set on Sweed is pretty small right now, so you can't really tell what his long-term drop % is. Unfortunately for him, he picked two really big plays to demonstrate his drop skills.

That being said, I'd be up for a straight-up Sweed-for-Edwards trade. :P

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete
    Is it impatience or perhaps an attitude problem for Sweed?
    Honestly we as fans aren't at practices and meeting so it could be anything.
    IMHO we really havnt given him a chance.
    If you were to ask Sweed if his problem is ignorance or apathy, you'd probably get an "I don't know and I don't care" response.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Too impatient? He is still on the team even though he dropped two sure TDs in playoff games and cost us that game in Cincy this season. He has dropped almost every big pass thrown to him. Lord knows what his mystery illness was/is. Dude is still here and will be in camp. The Browns played Edwards because 1. he was a top ten pick, 2. the are talent poor at WR, 3. Edwards actually produced and in many games was effective. Maybe if Sweed would have caught ONE of those TDs, he'd bet more opportunities.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Change the title to Grisham vs. Sweed and we can talk

I wouldn't be surprised if depression was Sweed's illness. I won't touch it because I think those 2 drops changed his career path. He can still bounce back but a ton of players spiral down real hard. It could be serious. Wallace emerging can't help his confidence either.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Starter

User Info Menu

Sweed (probably) just gave up and cashed it in - not putting forth effort in practice leading to his IR.
    That's not necessarily the case. From reports I've read (Lolley, Bouchette, Bires, etc), Sweed is a very hard worker in practice and by all accounts a really good kid.

I'm leaning with you feltdizz on the depression angle. My guess is when he dropped that TD against Cincy and got put on the bench, he couldn't figure out the right way to deal. He's got one more shot next season. Let's hope he makes the most of it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis
    Sweed (probably) just gave up and cashed it in - not putting forth effort in practice leading to his IR.
    That's not necessarily the case. From reports I've read (Lolley, Bouchette, Bires, etc), Sweed is a very hard worker in practice and by all accounts a really good kid.

I'm leaning with you feltdizz on the depression angle. My guess is when he dropped that TD against Cincy and got put on the bench, he couldn't figure out the right way to deal. He's got one more shot next season. Let's hope he makes the most of it.
    He will need a Holmes/Wallace game winning TD catch in every playoff game to ever get over the drops. 2 playoff drops and a huge Cincy drop.. hard to overcome.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis

He will need a Holmes/Wallace game winning TD catch in every playoff game to ever get over the drops. 2 playoff drops and a huge Cincy drop.. hard to overcome.
    All he needs is to be successful on some level to get his confidence back. The only reason I continue to want to give him a chance is because he gets open so easy. He's made catches in traffic during pre-season, so I'm certain he can catch. All he needs is to have some success and he'll do fine. I'm hoping he turns it around next year.

By all accounts he works hard in practice and is a good kid; I want him to succeed. I'd hate for two drops to destroy his career with the Steelers.

Pappy

The 2024 Pittsburgh Steeler draft

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - Payton Wilson, LB, UNC
    4.119 - Mason McCprmick, OG, S. Dakota St
    7.178 - Logan Lee, DT, Iowa
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount