Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phil Simms Says...

Legend

User Info Menu

Phil Simms Says...

Don't know if anyone caught yesterday's Parade Magazine celebrity q and a by Walter Scott. The question was: do any NFL QBs call their own plays. According to Phil Simms Ben Roethlisberger calls almost all his own plays. So if Ben is calling the plays what is Arians doing?...and should we be faulting the QB rather than the OC?

(sorry, couldn't find a link online).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Phil Simms Says...

this statement might be an exaggeration ... Ben has a lot of Freedom, but I see Arians w/ a playsheet on the sideline and he communicates something to Ben.

I'd say Peyton has more control over his plays ... from what i know the Colts call 3 plays and Manning makes his call at the line.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, Ben and Arians put together a game plan as a team and Ben then goes and executes it based on situation, down and distance and circumstance? Why does there have to be fault with either of them? By all accounts they work well together as a team and by and large except for short yardage and red zone they were extremely successful.

If you were Arians why wouldn't you let Ben call the plays. You've designed them, studied the opponent's defense, put a game plan together and you have one of the best quarterbacks in the league to execute the plan. I'd let him call the plays as well and simply be his sounding board after each series to discuss what worked, what didn't, what defensive looks they got, etc. They're a team.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, Ben and Arians put together a game plan as a team and Ben then goes and executes it based on situation, down and distance and circumstance? Why does there have to be fault with either of them? By all accounts they work well together as a team and by and large except for short yardage and red zone they were extremely successful.

If you were Arians why wouldn't you let Ben call the plays. You've designed them, studied the opponent's defense, put a game plan together and you have one of the best quarterbacks in the league to execute the plan. I'd let him call the plays as well and simply be his sounding board after each series to discuss what worked, what didn't, what defensive looks they got, etc. They're a team.

Pappy
    Why the hell would Ben work with BA on a game plan? These 2 guys clearly have different agenda's!!! Troy hates LeBeau too and runs around before plays to make him mad.

sarcasm
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    It would never occur to a core group of Arians haters because they would have nothing to post about and the rest of us would not get to read the 253rd (or is it 254) post on how Arians sux, how he can't call plays and these are the plays that should have been called because they really know which play was called into Ben plus we need a FB.

The main reason howver is it is much easier to hate on someone when you haven't spent over $100 for a jersey with their name and number on it. You look pretty stupid wearing the jersey of someone who you hate and condemn. Coaches are just easier targets.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pappy
    Yes, that has occurred to me.

I love answering rhetorical questions. They are slam dunks!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Pappy
    It would never occur to a core group of Arians haters because they would have nothing to post about and the rest of us would not get to read the 253rd (or is it 254) post on how Arians sux, how he can't call plays and these are the plays that should have been called because they really know which play was called into Ben plus we need a FB.

The main reason howver is it is much easier to hate on someone when you haven't spent over $100 for a jersey with their name and number on it. You look pretty stupid wearing the jersey of someone who you hate and condemn. Coaches are just easier targets.

I'd like you to consider changing your screen name to Soap Box Man, I have really been bitten by the smart a$$ bug this morning.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Exaggeration. Plain and simple. Did he say how he knows? From what I'm seeing, Ben is mostly calling the plays in no-huddle and hurry-up situations. When that happens we seem to have a lot of success not only moving the ball but scoring.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Pappy

Most of the BA criticism revolves around red zone O and situational play-calling. But I guess if you think those are a problem you're a "blind hater" whose only agenda is to say BA sucks. But we get lots of yards under BA! Yay! Oh, sorry, it's the points that count, not the yards. Put simply, this O has not lived up to its point-scoring potential.
    And the fact of the matter is that our O can by-and-large move the ball between the 20s no matter who the OC is.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Pidgeonholing all who have voiced an adverse opinion about or regarding our vaunted OC as "haters" is short sighted and guilty of the same obtuse vision. I agree with the sentiments that a bulk of the Arians criticism has been red zone efficiency, lack of in game adjustments and situational play calling. Does the O, get a lion's share of the this season's failures? No. I think the ST was abysmal and from a numerical standpoint gave our team 5 of the 7 losses we suffered this year.

The nuts and bolts of the situation is this, our ST gave our opponents numerical supremacy over us, our offense couldn't make up for those lost point differentials and our defense squandered what leads we had late in games. We win as a team, we lose as a team. Plenty of off-season blame to go around. Spinning our wheels at what happened in the past doesn't change historical outcomes. We now need to see where our FO and coaching staff will place the utmost importance of our glaring team needs in the upcoming draft and what limited actions they take in FA.

Voicing our opinions on all subject matters pertaining to our beloved team is encouraged... but the futile actions of pidgeonholing posters, creates the domino affect of segregating opinions, creating board factions, causing closure of ideas/thoughts from posters of a 'rival' faction, fueling animosity, degrading into flame wars on threads, promoting testosterone filled insults and threats and inevitably crossing the Rules of Engagement line which yields to suspension of board privileges.

Let's all keep an open mind... to ideas, opinions and posters.