Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on WR's...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thoughts on WR's...

What are you guys thoughts on the WR's in this years draft?

Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State - Definitely my favorite at this point.

Golden Tate, Notre Dame - Not the ideal size, but the toughest receiver I've seen. Love this guys play making ability and attitude.

Arrelious Benn, Illinois - Haven't seen him play much. Good size and speed from what I hear. What are you guys thoughts on him?

Damian Williams, USC - I like him, but I'm also weary on USC WR's.

Brandon LaFell, LSU - Undecided on him. Seems slow but then again all LSU receivers seem slower to me for some reason.

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Thoughts on WR's...

I like Bryant but the timeoff concerns me.

I think Benn will be the steal of the draft among WR he is a first round talent who did not put up numbers because of Illinois sorry offense/QB. I would not be upset if Benn was taken by the Steelers in round 3.

Tate is the best playmaker of the group listed. He was a RB in high school and he has great skills after the catch. He would be a lock 1st round pick if he was taller. He gets compared to Steve Smith and I can see why.

I don't think much of Williams or Lafell. neither seems particularly explosive. I wouldn't draft either unles they were around in the 4th round or later.
    The Steelers’ went through seven consecutive drafts (2003-09) without taking an offensive lineman in the first two rounds, the longest such streak by any franchise this century.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not a good year for top WR's. Jordan Shipley is interesting as a mid-round prospect, though.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Not a good year for top WR's. Jordan Shipley is interesting as a mid-round prospect, though.
    It does seem to be a thin crop of receivers this year. Dez Bryant and Golden Tate stand out as my favorites. Benn seems intriguing but no one else I think is worth a 1st or 2nd round pick at this point...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Has anyone seen/heard of this guy before?

Ricardo Lockette, WR, Fort Valley State
    6'2 1/2 - 205 lbs.
    Supposedly runs a 4.36 forty

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112

6'2 1/2 - 205 lbs.
    Just looked him up. Apparantly he tested positive for high levels of testosterone prior to a track meet this past summer and was declared ineligible at Fort Valley State and had to transfer to an NAIA school. Based solely on that, sounds like a guy the Bengals would like!
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom112

6'2 1/2 - 205 lbs.
    Just looked him up. Apparantly he tested positive for high levels of testosterone prior to a track meet this past summer and was declared ineligible at Fort Valley State and had to transfer to an NAIA school. Based solely on that, sounds like a guy the Bengals would like!
    hahaha. Maybe, but not till the 7th round...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

LaFell will be a great value. He'll be a good pro. I'm not sure why you say he looks slow. Scouts expect him to run in the 4.5 range at the combine. That will be very good for a receiver his size and will probably be faster than Bryant who will certainly be overpayed.

I also like the Demaryius Thomas from Ga Tech - huge at 6'3 and about 230. He is not a great route runner yet, but he is almost as big as a TE and runs pretty well. He is also a very good blocker and has one of the nastiest stiff arms I've seen.

My later round stud is David Reed from Utah. He has decent size at 6'1 and average speed. But, he has great hands and amazing body control. He'll be a successful possession receiver with enough size to play on the outside. He is a strong and slippery runner who is effective on all routes.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    LaFell will be a great value. He'll be a good pro. I'm not sure why you say he looks slow. Scouts expect him to run in the 4.5 range at the combine. That will be very good for a receiver his size and will probably be faster than Bryant who will certainly be overpayed.

I also like the Demaryius Thomas from Ga Tech - huge at 6'3 and about 230. He is not a great route runner yet, but he is almost as big as a TE and runs pretty well. He is also a very good blocker and has one of the nastiest stiff arms I've seen.

My later round stud is David Reed from Utah. He has decent size at 6'1 and average speed. But, he has great hands and amazing body control. He'll be a successful possession receiver with enough size to play on the outside. He is a strong and slippery runner who is effective on all routes.
    I'm not sure why I think Lafell is slow but like I said for some reason a lot of LSU receivers over the past couple of years have just looked slow to me when I watch their games. I don't know why, maybe it's just a perception thing.

Early Doucet and Dwayne Bowe both looked "slower" to me as well when they came out. But both don't look too slow now in the NFL...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is a good TE draft with nice second and third round WR talent. The Bengals will benefit.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.