Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Arians vs. LeBeau

Legend

Re: Arians vs. LeBeau

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer8
    Who exactly is giving the D a pass?

They have a stake in the blame as well. What I see is people saying that LeBeau had one bad season. And other people saying he should be gone after one bad season.

That just doesn't hold water with me.
    What do you expect St LeBeau will do differently when he hasn't changed anything in 5 years? I'm just trying to find somebody, anybody who tells me how LeBeau changes and improves the defense beyond Troy and Smith will be back.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend

Ovie is spot on... and funny as hell.

Something is wrong when IKE, Ryan Clark can't get one INT in 15 games. I think getting rid of Kill Switch was a bad move. He may have been undisciplined but that is twice as good as a disciplined yet sluth footed Tyrone Carter.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Exactly. The D problems have stemmed from key personnel losses. One of them, Troy, was a !%!^!@#%!#$ candidate for the 08 DPOTY for crying out loud. His replacement was both slow of foot and slow of mind. The other, A. Smith, was an (arguably) top 5 to top 10 run stuffer. His replacement was average at best. A huge chunk of the offensive predictability factor went down the sh*t can with the loss of these guys.

The O problems have primarily stemmed from philosophical issues.

One of these is totally correctable. The other is correctable but only up to a point. When there is a fundamental weakness you can only mask it for so long.
    How about giving Steelers O a better O-line and see what they can do???
    Steelers don't have a single player drafted on O-line in Rd1-Rd2.

If D gets a pass because of personnel issue even when they play horrible teams why not Steelers O?????
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

They have a stake in the blame as well. What I see is people saying that LeBeau had one bad season. And other people saying he should be gone after one bad season.

What do you expect St LeBeau will do differently when he hasn't changed anything in 5 years? I'm just trying to find somebody, anybody who tells me how LeBeau changes and improves the defense beyond Troy and Smith will be back.
    You must not be paying very close attention then. He runs a lot of packages that get more LBs and DBs on the field with only one down lineman. He's constantly changing the blitz schemes too. Everything he does is to disguise and confuse.

The only thing I wish he would actually change is the cushion the corners give up on passing downs. I know he has a "bend but don't break, eventually they will make a mistake and we will capitalize" philosophy, but giving up a free 5-7 yards consistently is hard to take if the pressure isn't getting there on time. And actually, there were times this year where I saw Ike right up on the LOS at the snap of the ball.

Hall of Famer

No one is saying Dick Lebeau needs to go. But many people here who bash BA for 2009 season give a free pass to Dick Lebeau.

According to them only problem for Steelers is their offense,BA and Big Ben holding the ball too long.
    Steelers Draft

Legend

Let me clarify I think Ovie is spot on in the critisicm of Lebeau... But he should return. However I think we all get frustrated at the 2 to 3 years it takes to master the D and we witnessed what happens when a vet goes down in the backfield. It makes it frustrating to look at draft day CBs because we know they won't see the field for 2 more years.

Imagine Wallace sitting on the sidelines for 2 years because of the complex scheme.. Ike has stated all the blitzes we have yet to use, the D's playbook being twice as big as the offenses. While it sounds great when the D is rolling, when injuries happen, and in football they will happen... the complexity can become a big problem.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Let me clarify I think Ovie is spot on in the critisicm of Lebeau... But he should return. However I think we all get frustrated at the 2 to 3 years it takes to master the D and we witnessed what happens when a vet goes down in the backfield. It makes it frustrating to look at draft day CBs because we know they won't see the field for 2 more years.

Imagine Wallace sitting on the sidelines for 2 years because of the complex scheme.. Ike has stated all the blitzes we have yet to use, the D's playbook being twice as big as the offenses. While it sounds great when the D is rolling, when injuries happen, and in football they will happen... the complexity can become a big problem.
    I am worried about Steelers D in 2010 even when Troy returns.

These complex schemes need to go out. Make it simple for rookies to contribute. Steelers need rookies to contribute unless they make a splash in FA.
    Steelers Draft

Legend

You must not be paying very close attention then. He runs a lot of packages that get more LBs and DBs on the field with only one down lineman. He's constantly changing the blitz schemes too. Everything he does is to disguise and confuse.

The only thing I wish he would actually change is the cushion the corners give up on passing downs. I know he has a "bend but don't break, eventually they will make a mistake and we will capitalize" philosophy, but giving up a free 5-7 yards consistently is hard to take if the pressure isn't getting there on time. And actually, there were times this year where I saw Ike right up on the LOS at the snap of the ball.
    Unfortunately we disguised and confused ourselves this year. The number of wide open WR's this year was incredible.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz

Beware the "Defensive Inquisition!" The monks of the order of St LeBeau will be pursuing you too if you continue to speak such heretical pontifications. Do you prefer the rack, drawn and quartered or just being burnt at the stake?

Save yourself and do your pennance now. Say the following 10 times: "We are a 3-4 defense and thou shalt not question." "We shalt not change because the past hath been good" "All players shall conform or be cast out" "All fans shalt never question St LeBeau"
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Ovie, he had one bad season for Christ's sake.

We all know you have a big stiffy for the 4-3 and can't wait for LeBeau to hit the bricks so someone else will put in a 4-3...but he's had ONE bad season....

(see what happens when a story is posted about the Raiders targeting Arians...and it turns out to be from bleacher report?)
    Hope your right because above all else the Steelers winning it what matters. Hopefully LeBeau has some magic left. My uninformed and ignorant mind just can't figure out what it is when our defense is getting older and our young players can't get on the field.

But let's not kid ourselves what killed us all season was exactly what the Cardinals exposed in the Super Bowl last year when we did have Troy. You saw it last February and then all 2009 and no adjustments, no improvements.

I just have less confidence that Troy coming back solves all the problems. To me would could just fooling ourselves by painting over rotten wood. But we just have to wait and see.
    I'm thinking that what happened in the 4thQ was the result of a D that put out big time for 3 quarters and was tired in the 4th. We weren't going up against an average O in the SB. That was a super high powered O with red hot Fitzgerald averaging 35+ in their 3 playoff games. We held them to 23.

Also on the long TD to Fitzgerald we really got "caught with our pants down" as the FS was some 35 yards off the ball on the opposite side of where the pass was thrown. That was more surprised than exposed.

Also, I shudder to think what the final score would have been with Ty Carter starting for Troy and William Gay in for McFadden.