Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL response to non-facemask penalty call last night

Legend

User Info Menu

NFL response to non-facemask penalty call last night

Their response is: because there was no twisting or turning of the head, it was not penalizable. Nothing to do with the 5yrd vs 15 yrd variety - that was thrown out last year. It's just that the NFL says grabbing the facemask isn't the penalty, it's twisting or pulling the head that is.

I'm at work, so I can't see the youtube, but ... wasn't Rodger's head turned by the defender?

I put this in its own thread, even though the topic is in another one, because I thought it was definitive enough that more people might read it this way. Mods, if wrong call on my part ... please merge!

Thanks -

[url="http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/11/when-is-grabbing-the-facemask-not-a-facemask-penalty/"]http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010 ... k-penalty/[/url]

The Fifth Down - The New York Times N.F.L. Blog
    January 11, 2010, 4:07 pm
    When Is Grabbing the Face Mask Not a Face-Mask Penalty?
    By LYNN ZINSER
    Rick Scuteri/Reuters The sight of Cardinals cornerback Michael Adams with a finger hooked on Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers’s face mask on the final play of Sunday’s playoff game raised the question of why no penalty was called.

To some, the picture speaks 1,000 words and four of them are: the Packers were robbed. The image of Cardinals cornerback Michael Adams with his index finger hooked on Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers’s face mask was captured far and wide, sparking the question of whether it was a penalty and why it did not negate the fumble Adams caused. The question gets louder because the fumble Adams caused turned into the game-winning touchdown in overtime of the N.F.C. wild card playoff game when linebacker Karlos Dansby ran it into the end zone.

Here is the explanation from the N.F.L., which affirms the no call, courtesy of the spokesman Greg Aiello:

Rule Explanation from the final play of the Green Bay Packers-Arizona Cardinals game

A “face-mask” penalty is a judgment call that is not reviewable by replay.

Rule 12, Section 2, Article 5 of the NFL Rule Book (page 81) states that “no player shall twist, turn, or pull the face mask of an opponent in any direction.”

The Rule Book describes the penalty as follows:

“Penalty: For twisting, turning or pulling the mask: loss of 15 yards. A personal foul. The player may be disqualified if the action is judged by the official(s) to be of a flagrant nature.”

The Rule Book describes an approved ruling as it relates to face-mask penalties (page 81).

“A.R. 12.12 – Third-and-10 on A30. Runner A1 runs to the A33, where he is tackled by B1, who incidentally grasps A1’s face mask on the tackle, but it is not a twist, turn or pull. Ruling: A’s ball, fourth-and-seven, on A33. No foul.”

Aiello went on to explain that the rules changed before the 2008 season, getting rid of the five-yard penalty for an incidental grab of the face mask. Now, the grab has to reach the level of a 15-yard penalty for the officials to make a call.

For the Packers, the play fell in a pile of questionable calls in the game. One play before the fateful face-mask/fumble, Rodgers was on the receiving end of a helmet-to-helmet hit that was not called and on an earlier touchdown pass from Arizona’s Kurt Warner, receiver Larry Fitzgerald knocked down Packers cornerback Charles Woodson on the way to the end zone, but that was not called either.

Packers players were not up in arms about the final call as they reviewed the painful end to their season on Monday.

“You know what, that’s just how it goes,” linebacker Aaron Kampman said, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. “You can’t just say it was one play in the football game. There were a lot of plays in that football game and depending on this, that and the other thing, so…”

The Cardinals largely echoed that, although Coach Ken Whisenhunt did say he wished his team had won with a field goal in regulation — Neil Rackers missed a 34-yarder with 14 seconds left — because “it would have been a clearer victory for us.”

Whisenhunt said he was also glad Rodgers’s fumble did not hit the ground (it bounced off Rodgers’s leg before Dansby grabbed it), because that would have launched a debate about the dreaded “tuck rule,” made famous by the Patriots’ Tom Brady and the non-fumble in 2002. Whisenhunt said he believed the play could have been ruled no fumble if the ball had hit the ground.

“I think it could have been,” he said. “Do you rule that as an interception or a fumble? I’m glad it didn’t hit the ground because that erases any doubt about what it is.”

Instead, all the doubt centered instead on the face mask grab and the penalty that wasn’t.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: NFL response to non-facemask penalty call last night

A damage-control rationalization...did anyone really think they'd own up to it?
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Legend

User Info Menu

if it happened before the fumble, i think GB has a legitamate beef.

he definately grabbed the mask... dont feel it effected the play much

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    if it happened before the fumble, i think GB has a legitamate beef.

he definately grabbed the mask... dont feel it effected the play much
    THe only way it might have is if it somehow kept Rodgers from recovering the fumble. I didn't think that was the case, but it sucks that such a key game had to end like that.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

The face mask was after the fumble so would the ball be given back to Green Bay?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

The way that they've been calling it recently, it seems that any contact with the QB's head whatsoever (regardless of whether or not a facemask was twisted or pulled or whatever) seemed to be an automatic penalty against the defense. I'm not saying that I agree with this necessarily, but whatever way they choose to call it, they should be consistent with it.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

You make the call (because I could care less).

[youtube:13rreqsq]lZCbmc0IIM4[/youtube:13rreqsq]

Thanks to stlrzd for showing me that nifty trick.

Starter

User Info Menu

Another look...

These refs will never be accused of coddling the quarterback

[url="http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/These-refs-will-never-be-accused-of-coddling-the;_ylt=Avs3mze1yI.z_C6m2LRO.JJDubYF?urn=nfl,2127 16"]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdo ... nfl,212716[/url]

Best blogger quote - Basically, the guy wasn't watching because it wasn't his job to watch. That's a great tip for all you young defensive players out there: After the quarterback fumbles, it's the ideal time to stab him with a sharpened toothbrush. No one's looking!

Another blogger said that the "tuck rule" should have been invoked!

Legend

User Info Menu

Leave the complaining about officiating to Ravens fans please.

Thank you...that is all.

Legend

User Info Menu

It should have been called whether it was before the fumble after the fumble or while Rodgers was on his way to the locker room. Any contact to the quarterback's face or head has been a penalty all year regardless of when it occurred during the play. That's Peirea trying to protect his guys again. The refereeing is bad and getting worse with each passing year. Not only is it bad, but, inconsistent as well.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount