Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NFL response to non-facemask penalty call last night

Starter

Re: NFL response to non-facemask penalty call last night

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    It should have been called whether it was before the fumble after the fumble or while Rodgers was on his way to the locker room. Any contact to the quarterback's face or head has been a penalty all year regardless of when it occurred during the play. That's Peirea trying to protect his guys again. The refereeing is bad and getting worse with each passing year. Not only is it bad, but, inconsistent as well.

Pappy
    Actually Pap, you make a great point. I really did not care (as noted earlier) because the Steelers are not in the playoffs. However, if that had happened to Ben on a play that ended a game, I must admit, I would be pretty ticked off. Pretty blatant that there was a foul. The only question (to me) is, is this a post-possession foul? I would have to think yes. Cardinals ball, fifteen yard penalty from the spot of the foul. Still in overtime.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfhound45
    Another blogger said that the "tuck rule" should have been invoked!
    The tuck rule wouldn't have mattered, since the ball never hit the ground. If they ruled that his arm was going forward when he was hit, they would have ruled it a pass instead of a fumble, but since Rodgers kicked the ball up in the air before it hit the turf, the only ramification that the tuck rule would have had would be that Dansby would have had an interception return for a TD instead of a fumble return for a TD. Either way, game over.

You can bet your sweet arse that Marcia Brady would've drawn a flag!

It should have been called whether it was before the fumble after the fumble or while Rodgers was on his way to the locker room. Any contact to the quarterback's face or head has been a penalty all year regardless of when it occurred during the play. That's Peirea trying to protect his guys again. The refereeing is bad and getting worse with each passing year. Not only is it bad, but, inconsistent as well.

Pappy
    Actually Pap, you make a great point. I really did not care (as noted earlier) because the Steelers are not in the playoffs. However, if that had happened to Ben on a play that ended a game, I must admit, I would be pretty ticked off. Pretty blatant that there was a foul. The only question (to me) is, is this a post-possession foul? I would have to think yes. Cardinals ball, fifteen yard penalty from the spot of the foul. Still in overtime.
    I'm with ya, I don't have a dog in the fight, but the officiating in the NFL continues to regress every year. I will never make the excuse that the Steelers lost a game due to officiating, however, poor officiating does ruin the game and that's the part that bothers me, because, I enjoy watching football games.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Backup

Pappy
    Wolf, I believe since the ball had not changed possession before the facemask it still would have been GB ball

Quote Originally Posted by steelsun7

Pappy
    Wolf, I believe since the ball had not changed possession before the facemask it still would have been GB ball
    Even if it was post possession the game would not have ended and Green Bay would have still had a chance to play and win after the mistake. But, inconsistency in officiating didn't even give the Packers a chance.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar

Should have definatley been a helmet to helmet hit on the play before the final play. Dude pretty much ran in and head butted Rodgers with no flag drawn for it.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler
    Mineral Ridge, Ohio (Where the standard of expectation does not change)!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    Should have definatley been a helmet to helmet hit on the play before the final play. Dude pretty much ran in and head butted Rodgers with no flag drawn for it.
    That's what I was going to say. The only QB that DOESN'T get that call is Ben, and Rodgers apparently.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

At the very worst for GB, arizona gets the ball, but a 15 yard penalty from the spot of the recovery. At least Green Bay has a chance to do something about it, albeit an unlikely chance, btu a chance nonetheless. That whole, "didn't grasp or pull the facemask down" crap is just that, crap. That's why they got rid of the five yard penalty. Any contact with the facemask is a penalty.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    That's what I was going to say. The only QB that DOESN'T get that call is Ben, and Rodgers apparently.
    Maybe it's because they are in the 50 sack club. When have 50 sacks refs tend to overlook a few hits. LOL.

I didn't even see the facemask until I saw the ESPN photo. It was pretty bang bang IMO. Now the previous play.. that was blatant head to head and should have been called. I'm happy with the outcome because it shuts up the overtime rule change crowd.