Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zone Blocking System....

Legend

User Info Menu

Zone Blocking System....

Morning all.

Chadman just read an article about the Redskins O-Line & Mike Shanahan's use of the Zone Blocking Syatem. At one point it details the requirements of a good ZB O-Lineman- wanted your thoughts on if this fits the Steelers O-Lineman..

"The other difference -- the MAIN difference, probably -- is the personnel that's used. According to Redskins Examiner Mark Newgent's excellent explication of Shanahan's zone blocking, this system is ideal for linemen who fit the following categories.

• Quick, even at the cost of size.
    • Disciplined, even if the assignment seems pointless.
    • Consistent, not giving visual cues to the defender as to their initial intention.
    • Smart, able to keep up with defensive shifts before the snap."

So- what do you think? Is this the Steelers OL to you? Starks, Colon, Kemoeatu, Hartwig, Essex, Stapleton, Urbik, Legursky, Hills? Quick? Disciplined? Consistent? Smart?

Any wonder Ben gets sacked so often?

Here's the whole article if you are interested- [url="http://blog.redskins.com/2010/01/11/monday-january-11-probably-time-to-brush-up-on-zone-blocking/"]http://blog.redskins.com/2010/01/11/mon ... -blocking/[/url]

Chadman's take- if the Steelers want to stick with Zone Blocking, they need some new personell.

Might be better to go back to Man Blocking with these guys though.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Zone Blocking System....

I think your assessment is correct. Closest two we have to fitting into that type of scheme are Kemo & Legursky probably. Legursky runs in the 4.8 range for the 40.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I think your assessment is correct. Closest two we have to fitting into that type of scheme are Kemo & Legursky probably. Legursky runs in the 4.8 range for the 40.
    Probably add Stapleton to that- he played ZB extensively at Rutgers.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

That being said, Chadman still thinks going back to smash 'em up Man Blocking might better suit this OL's talents.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Our OL is slow and huge... I think Denver had lean blockers who weren't big at all, they cut blocked too.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Our OL is slow and huge... I think Denver had lean blockers who weren't big at all, they cut blocked too.
    Agreed...but what does that say about the Steelers trying to use Zone Blocking & giving up 50+ sacks 2 years in a row?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Agreed...but what does that say about the Steelers trying to use Zone Blocking & giving up 50+ sacks 2 years in a row?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Zone Block was primarily a run game thing...

Or am I just bass ackwards here?

Starter

User Info Menu

Does it say that BA doesn't know how to utilize the talent he has to work with?
    Maybe the line's blocking scheme isn't his choice to make, I don't know. But it falls along the same lines as not throwing to your 6'7" TE or 6'4" receiver in the red zone. Or not having any roll outs or run options for a QB with incredible speed and quickness.

Legend

User Info Menu

Larry Z was hired & it was his wish to install zone blocking. Pretty sure arians gets a pass on this one- Tomlin might not, however..

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd
    Does it say that BA doesn't know how to utilize the talent he has to work with?
    Maybe the line's blocking scheme isn't his choice to make, I don't know. But it falls along the same lines as not throwing to your 6'7" TE or 6'4" receiver in the red zone. Or not having any roll outs or run options for a QB with incredible speed and quickness.
    I thought we threw to Miller a ton this year.. "compared to most Steeler years." Miller dropped a few more then usually, which is not much, but he also had an incredible grab in the Miami game. I think Ben throws to Miller at a decent clip overall.

If you are talking about Dennis Dixon then I need only remind you of Pat White.. Dixon was all we had and we used him perfectly. No one expected it to be that close.
    If you are talking about Ben in regards to speed then I'll stop here.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"