User Info Menu

Bobby April interviewed on Sunday

Would love to have him back!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Bobby April interviewed on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo
    Would love to have him back!!
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, apparently we didn't offer enough. If he is fielding offers from other teams, he's probably not coming here.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Backup

User Info Menu

Where did you hear Bobby was being interviewed On Sunday ? Any updates ?

Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN
    Where did you hear Bobby was being interviewed On Sunday ? Any updates ?
    Steel Curtain Rising: Ed, you reported in PG Plus that Bobby April interviewed with Mike Tomlin. Any word on other candidates, and is there a timetable for filling this position?

Ed Bouchette: Not only did I report it in Plus, I reported it in the PG. April may have other options that would pay him more (Redskins, Giants and maybe even Detroit). I know of no timetable and have heard of no other candidates.
    [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10012/1027673-66.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10012/1027673-66.stm[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_661892.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 61892.html[/url]
    By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010
    Photos
    click to enlarge

Bobby April
    Getty Images

About the writer

John Harris is a Pittsburgh Tribune-Review sports columnist and can be reached at 412-481-5432 or via e-mail.

Ways to get us
    Be a Facebook fan
    Follow us on Twitter
    E-mail Newsletters
    On your mobile

Bobby April, a candidate for the Steelers' special teams coordinator vacancy, left town without a contract following his interview Sunday with coach Mike Tomlin and team officials because he was scheduled to meet with at least three other NFL teams.

April later met with San Francisco 49ers coach Mike Singletary during this week's American Football Coaches Association convention in Orlando, Fla., at which Singletary was a speaker.

April, who coached the Buffalo Bills' special teams the past six seasons, also has interviews with a couple of other unidentified teams, Chicago-based representative Frank Murtha said Tuesday.

"He had serious discussions with Coach Tomlin and other members of the Steelers' organization," Murtha said. "It might be a few more days. We really don't have a timetable. He hasn't made any hard and fast decisions until he at least finishes the interview process."

Asked if the Steelers or any other team made an official offer to April, Murtha replied, "I can't really get into that, but, obviously, teams have expressed an interest in having him as their special teams coach."

April, regarded among the top special teams coaches in the NFL, was the Steelers' special teams coordinator from 1994-95; his last season was the year the Steelers played in Super Bowl XXX.

In addition to his special teams duties, April also served as Buffalo's assistant head coach. It was believed that April might be named interim coach when Dick Jauron was fired during the season; however, that position went to defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, who was released along with the rest of the coaching staff.

"I definitely wanted — want — to be a head coach. That's an ongoing goal of mine," April told reporters in Buffalo.

April opted out of the final two years of his contract so that teams knew he was available,

April, 56, would be a welcome addition to a Steelers' special teams unit that allowed four kickoff returns for touchdowns this season under former coordinator Bob Ligashesky, who was fired last week. No other team allowed more than two kickoff returns for touchdowns this season.

April won the 2008 Special Teams Coach of the Year award, voted on by the league's coaches. The award is presented by Professional Kicking Services. April also won the award in 2004.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Backup

User Info Menu

Always a brides maid and never a maid. He is so good at being a special teams coach, I believe no team/owner want to pull him away from being a special teams coach. JMO

I wonder how he would do as a positions coach or head coach ? I bet he would do well.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Always a brides maid and never a maid. He is so good at being a special teams coach, I believe no team/owner want to pull him away from being a special teams coach. JMO

I wonder how he would do as a positions coach or head coach ? I bet he would do well.
    [quote="BATMAN"]Always a brides maid and never a maid

huh?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo

Always a brides maid and never a maid

huh?

Being as good as he is as a special teams coach, I doubt many would allow him to leave that position to pursue a head coaches job or even a defensive/offensive cordinator.