Thread: No Steelers on Associated Press 2009 All Pro Team

Legend

User Info Menu

No Steelers on Associated Press 2009 All Pro Team

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4825123[/url]

Johnson unanimous for All-Pro
    Updated: January 14, 2010, 10:58 AM ET
    Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Chris Johnson didn't get any votes for MVP. He didn't miss any for The Associated Press 2009 NFL All-Pro team.

The 2,000-yard rusher from the Tennessee Titans was the only unanimous choice for the squad, which was announced Thursday. He's joined in the backfield by Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who won an unprecedented fourth Most Valuable Player Award last week, when only quarterbacks received votes.

"That'd be a good thing," said Johnson, who won the Offensive Player of the Year award Wednesday. "Because I feel like if you put a season out there, out of those dudes who got votes or the dudes who won, I wouldn't feel they had a better season than I had, and broke as many records in one season that I had."

For setting the league mark for yards from scrimmage and becoming the sixth 2,000-yard rusher in NFL history, Johnson got all 50 votes from a nationwide panel of sportswriters. One other player, San Francisco inside linebacker Patrick Willis, came close with, appropriately, 49.

Cornerbacks Charles Woodson of Green Bay, the Defensive Player of the Year, and Darrelle Revis of the New York Jets each got 48, as did Oakland punter Shane Lechler.

"I just think Patrick is a very unique guy," 49ers coach Mike Singletary said. "He's a guy who's always going to be around the ball. He has the instincts. He has the speed. He can be where he wants to be."

He's on the All-Pro team for the second time in his three seasons. The other inside linebacker, Baltimore's Ray Lewis, made it for the seventh time.

Other veteran All-Pros include Manning, chosen for the fifth time, as were Minnesota guard Steve Hutchinson and Vikings defensive tackle Kevin Williams, and Lechler.

The Vikings had the most players on the team with four -- running back Adrian Peterson and defensive end Jared Allen also made it. Next was Indianapolis with three: Manning, tight end Dallas Clark, and DE Dwight Freeney.

New Orleans (guard Jahri Evans and safety Darren Sharper), Dallas (outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware and defensive tackle Jay Ratliff), the Jets (Revis and center Nick Mangold), Denver (tackle Ryan Clady and defensive end Elvis Dumervil) and Cleveland (tackle Joe Thomas and kick returner Josh Cribbs) had two players.

"To be selected for the All-Pro team is really overwhelming to me," Clady said. "There are so many great tackles playing right now. To be recognized among them is truly a blessing. I would like to thank my teammates and coaches for this honor."

In all, there were 15 AFC players and 12 from the NFC selected.

Sixteen players made All-Pro for the first time: Johnson, Woodson, Revis, Sharper, Dumervil, Ratliff, Cribbs, Mangold, Evans, Thomas, Clady, Clark, New England receiver Wes Welker, Philadelphia fullback Leonard Weaver, San Diego placekicker Nick Kaeding and Arizona safety Adrian Wilson.

Also selected to the team was Houston receiver Andre Johnson for the second time.

Repeaters from last year were Manning, Peterson, Andre Johnson, Hutchinson, Allen, Williams, Ware, Lewis and Lechler.

The New York Giants, Washington, Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, St. Louis, Miami, Buffalo, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Kansas City and Pittsburgh had no All-Pros this season.

AP All-Pro First Team Offense

Position Player(s)
    QB Peyton Manning, Colts
    RB Chris Johnson, Titans
    Adrian Peterson, Vikings
    FB Leonard Weaver, Eagles
    TE Dallas Clark, Colts
    WR Andre Johnson, Texans
    Wes Welker, Patriots
    OT Ryan Clady, Broncos
    Joe Thomas, Browns
    OG Steve Hutchinson, Vikings
    Jahri Evans, Saints
    C Nick Mangold, Jets
    PK Nate Kaeding, Chargers
    Return Joshua Cribbs, Browns

AP All-Pro First Team Defense

Position Player(s)
    DE Jared Allen, Vikings
    Dwight Freeney, Colts
    DT Jay Ratliff, Cowboys
    Kevin Williams, Vikings
    OLB Elvis Dumervil, Broncos
    DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys
    ILB Patrick Willis, 49ers
    Ray Lewis, Ravens
    CB Charles Woodson, Packers
    Darrelle Revis, Jets
    S Darren Sharper, Saints
    Adrian Wilson, Cardinals
    P Shane Lechler, Raiders

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: No Steelers on Associated Press 2009 All Pro Team

No Steelers are deserving, IMO.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Here's the 2nd team:

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Drew Brees, New Orleans.
    Running Backs: Ray Rice, Baltimore; Steven Jackson, St. Louis.
    Fullback: Le'Ron McClain, Baltimore.
    Tight End: Antonio Gates, San Diego.
    Wide Receivers: Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis; Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona.
    Tackles: Michael Roos, Tennessee; Jake Long, Miami.
    Guards: Logan Mankins, New England; Kris Dielman, San Diego.
    Center: Andre Gurode, Dallas.
    Placekicker: David Akers, Philadelphia.
    Kick Returner: DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia.

DEFENSE
    Ends: Trent Cole, Philadelphia; Julius Peppers, Carolina.
    Tackles: Darnell Dockett, Arizona; Haloti Ngata, Baltimore.
    Outside Linebackers: Brian Cushing, Houston; LaMarr Woodley, Pittsburgh.
    Inside Linebackers: David Harris, New York Jets; Jon Beason, Carolina.
    Cornerbacks: Nnamdi Asomugha, Oakland; Asante Samuel, Philadelphia, and Leon Hall, Cincinnati (tie).
    Safeties: Brian Dawkins, Denver; Ed Reed, Baltimore, and Nick Collins, Green Bay (tie).
    Punter: Andy Lee, San Francisco, and Donnie Jones, St. Louis (tie).

Legend

User Info Menu

Woodley misses the Pro Bowl (because the voting takes place too d@mn early) but is 2nd team All Pro because the voting takes place after the season ends (that when all of the voting should take place).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

James Harrison and Lamar Woodley should have been voted to 2009 All Pro Team.

This site is pretty interesting. I don't know how they calculate those ratings.

[url="http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=OL B4&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1"]http://profootballfocus.com/by_position ... numgames=1[/url]

Ike Taylor is the 98th best corner...
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Glad to see Woodley made the second team. Hopefully next year he makes the first team.

Interestingly, the second team ILBs were David Harris and John Beason, both of whom were selected after Lawrence Timmons in the 2007 draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Glad to see Woodley made the second team. Hopefully next year he makes the first team.

Interestingly, the second team ILBs were David Harris and John Beason, both of whom were selected after Lawrence Timmons in the 2007 draft.
    and we all know.. 2nd team All pro selections win championships.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I liked Beason better then and do now.

Harris exceeded all expectations. I never thought he'd be so good.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

and we all know.. 2nd team All pro selections win championships.
    A second team all pro selection is more likely to contribute to winning a championship than excuses and unrealized potential...