Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Really, whose fault is it?

Legend

Re: Really, whose fault is it?

Look at Aaron Rodgers yesterday.. dude played out of his mind and still couldn't win because his D couldn't stop any pass plays. I think GB runs a 3-4 and although their DB's can catch we see without pressure they are toast.

I don't think it mattered how many points we scored last season, we weren't winning games if we didn't have the ball last... and expecting our O to score mega points AND grind out games is too much to ask for.

I bet Whiz wanted to grind out the GB game but looking at his DB's I bet he figured the risk of a short gain and FG try vs. his D was too much so he went pass happy too.

Pro Bowler

The TEAMS fault.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    To be a totally healthy, intact, supposedly high powered offense...and to go into Cleveland and kick 2 FG on the worst defense in the league, to me is unexcused. I cannot and will not get over that. The defense was missing two pro bowlers most the year. What was the offense missing?
    You guys keep bringing up the Browns game.. how about the Offense had no confidence in the D due to the last 4 crushing defeats and said screw the D, lets stay warm?

I'm being sarcastic but seriously... if you can't get over the 5th straight loss on a Thursday night but you can get over Cutler, Cassell, Gradowski, Palmer and Flacco looking like freaking Joe Montana that is on you.

The same people said the Eagles game was the last straw.. it's one game out of 16. BA stunk... so what.. I have seen Peyton, Brady, Romo and McNabb's offensive get crushed too in one game.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Ok, I had decided to give up on this debate, since both dead horses have been firmly embedded in the ground now. But are you hearing yourself? You are correct. It made no difference insofar as "having the lead." But it made all the difference insofar as "having an INSURMOUNTABLE lead" or a "two-score" or "three-score" lead. Geez. By this logic there is no distinction between a one point lead and 50 point lead. A lead is a lead is a lead, right?

You can view it two ways. The offense gave us a lead. Or you can view it as the offense left us in a position where we could lose (when it otherwise should not have been).

Furthermore, it could be argued that the points left on the table by the O and/or just given to the other team (pick6) forced the D to have to play hard at the end with the associated risk of injury affecting subsequent game performance.

Like I said, both are to blame. In that game, the O had way more blame, IMO.
    When the Offense doesn't score more points then the other team then they have left you in a position to lose...

I understand what you are saying but you are really giving the D a long leash. We all recognize the D was below average due to Troy and Smith's absence... but we weren't asking for amazing Troy defense either, just your basic fundamental "closer then 10 yards defense" we are used to seeing 2nd stringers make.

you make it sound like the D is short bus, special needs, from a third world country weak.... I wish they played hard. Look at the Miami ending, they can play tough football when they focus and stop yapping at the other team.

Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609
    im sorry, but in games where your saying the defense was average or above average is not very accurate....
    the viking game you say they played above average, well they gave up a ton of yards with the soft coverage and were fortunate to get 2 bounces their way....
    the first cincy game the bengals convert 2 fourth downs on the final drive all the way down the field to score the game winning touchdown
    the bears game the defense let them go down the field and win the game with a last second FG, cutler looked like peyton manning
    the chief game we give up back to back big plays in regulation and allow them to go down the field and win in OT
    the ravens, 3rd and 22,...enough said,
    raiders, they choke at the end
    packers they are downright horrible, its a miracle they only gave up 35...

the defense was terrible, and i dont want to be the I told you so guy, but this summer I kept telling my dad and buddies that I did not like the way our defense looked towards the end of the year, i thought the titans and cardinals exposed something...
    When you describe the D as terrible, can you please quantify? And if you had to rank their performance, where would they fall out against the other 31 teams? Given, they are terrible compared to last year WHEN THEY ROCKED, but how many teams do you think would LOVE to have their Ds perform as good as ours? (probably a lot).

They didnt suck; they just weren't as good as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelAbility
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    To be a totally healthy, intact, supposedly high powered offense...and to go into Cleveland and kick 2 FG on the worst defense in the league, to me is unexcused. I cannot and will not get over that. The defense was missing two pro bowlers most the year. What was the offense missing?
    Well stated. These two irrefutable points seem to just wash under the dam.

The D losing Troy and Aaron Smith is just like the offense losing Ben and someone like Starks (who would actually be tough to replace)

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    The TEAMS fault.

But, everyone has an axe to grind with Arians or Lebeau, so, one person ahs to take the heat. This version of the Pittsburgh Steelers was inconsistent all year. If the defense played well, the offense sucked and vice versa. The special teams even had moments when they were good.

I do have to admit I enjoyed the way they finished the year with a three game win streak even knowing that they probably weren't going to make the playoffs.

After watching the games yesterday the Steelers would have done well in any of matchups with any of those teams. There were flaws all around. Brady was bad and the defense for NE gave up big plays on the ground.

Flacco stunk plain and simple.

Carson Palmer is only a shell of what he was a few years ago and that wasn't great by any stretch.

The Jets played well, but the Bengals didn't really mount much of a challenge. The Jets would have been the toughest opponent yesterday and I believe the Steelers could beat them.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavy
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP53609
    im sorry, but in games where your saying the defense was average or above average is not very accurate....
    the viking game you say they played above average, well they gave up a ton of yards with the soft coverage and were fortunate to get 2 bounces their way....
    the first cincy game the bengals convert 2 fourth downs on the final drive all the way down the field to score the game winning touchdown
    the bears game the defense let them go down the field and win the game with a last second FG, cutler looked like peyton manning
    the chief game we give up back to back big plays in regulation and allow them to go down the field and win in OT
    the ravens, 3rd and 22,...enough said,
    raiders, they choke at the end
    packers they are downright horrible, its a miracle they only gave up 35...

the defense was terrible, and i dont want to be the I told you so guy, but this summer I kept telling my dad and buddies that I did not like the way our defense looked towards the end of the year, i thought the titans and cardinals exposed something...
    When you describe the D as terrible, can you please quantify? And if you had to rank their performance, where would they fall out against the other 31 teams? Given, they are terrible compared to last year WHEN THEY ROCKED, but how many teams do you think would LOVE to have their Ds perform as good as ours? (probably a lot).

They didnt suck; they just weren't as good as usual.
    Our D stank when we needed them in the 4th. I don't know why you need numbers to support this. I'm getting the feeling you don't watch the games... our O stank at times thins year too.. and special teams stank a ton.

When you look back over the years our D this year had to be the worst Steeler D in the last 20 years. I don't need stats for that either. No plays when we needed them and the pass D was turrible. I can think of about 30 teams who's D I would take over ours in the 4th quarter. Seriously.. They were that bad.

Pro Bowler

I noticed that the most common tactic BA defenders use is to bring up something else - defense, special teams, etc. They can't defend BA based on his accomplishments alone, except for yards, which are a flashy bling bling stat, nothing more. They don't mean much in the outcome of the game.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    I noticed that the most common tactic BA defenders use is to bring up something else - defense, special teams, etc. They can't defend BA based on his accomplishments alone, except for yards, which are a flashy bling bling stat, nothing more. They don't mean much in the outcome of the game.
    When we bring up the implosion of Sweed and the emergence of Wallace people wave it off.... BA could have stuck with Sweed.

If we bring up the 2008 SB win and countless injuries on offense and a patchwork young OL they get the "in spite of BA" bull....

When we bring up the great game BA called that put Dixon in the endzone vs. the Rats on their field we get excuses...

When we bring up all the leads in the fourth quarter we hear about how they weren't large enough leads...

It's kinda weird to ask people not to bring up stats when discussing an OC... what should we bring up? His looks? We have won 34 games, including a last second SB victory on a TD pass...all in 3 years.

do you want to hear? Oh.. I know.. how bad he is and how we would have won 3 SB's with any other OC... like Dallas' OC or NO's OC.. or SD's OC... how about the Texans? Please enlighten us on who will take Ben to the promise land.

You guys are like children in a car... are we there yet.. are we there yet!
    Stop trying to get everyone on the BA sucks bandwagon. Either accept it or find a new team or OC to slobber over until he leaves. Preferably one of the greats who can't win a SB yet is seen as a genius for his....stats? hmmm..

It's one thing to b!tch.. but to b!tch and moan?