Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SHould We Draft a TE?

Legend

User Info Menu

SHould We Draft a TE?

Is the 2 TE set the staple of a future Pittsburgh offense?

If so, do we look to upgrade Spaeth?

The 2 TE set lets us pass or run. Gives us the most flexibility. But do we need an Antonio Gates/Tony Gonzalez type of to help us score points?

What if we targeted a Jermaine Gresham from OK? or someone similar?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: SHould We Draft a TE?

I honestly think Spaeth is underutilized. In 2008, when Heath went down for 2 games, Spaeth caught 12 passes for 108 yards. The rest of the year, however, he only caught 5 other passes for 28 yards. You figure it isn't exactly a secret that Heath is a primary weapon in our offense so is covered quite a bit. So kind of how Wallace had such a terrific year cause Holmes & Hines are covered, Spaeth should be able to sneak out and make some big catches in big situations. Why isn't he used more?

With our redzone struggles you would think a 6'7" 270lb pass catching TE would be a very attractive target inside the 20's. We have seen TE's hurt us the past 2 seasons in the redzone. In the Superbowl the Cardinals TE caught their first TD in that game on a jump ball in the endzone. This year we saw the likes of Finley from GB and Heap from Baltimore have big grabs in the endzone in mismatched coverage against our CB. I would think Spaeth could out jump and out muscle a 6' tall CB. But maybe I am missing something.

I can't recall Spaeth dropping passes or anything so who knows. Never know what happens in practice I guess. Overall though, to answer your question, Spaeth is a huge pass catching TE we dropped a 3rd round pick on. If we drafted another TE, would he be utilized more than Spaeth?
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh
    I honestly think Spaeth is underutilized. In 2008, when Heath went down for 2 games, Spaeth caught 12 passes for 108 yards. The rest of the year, however, he only caught 5 other passes for 28 yards. You figure it isn't exactly a secret that Heath is a primary weapon in our offense so is covered quite a bit. So kind of how Wallace had such a terrific year cause Holmes & Hines are covered, Spaeth should be able to sneak out and make some big catches in big situations. Why isn't he used more?

With our redzone struggles you would think a 6'7" 270lb pass catching TE would be a very attractive target inside the 20's. We have seen TE's hurt us the past 2 seasons in the redzone. In the Superbowl the Cardinals TE caught their first TD in that game on a jump ball in the endzone. This year we saw the likes of Finley from GB and Heap from Baltimore have big grabs in the endzone in mismatched coverage against our CB. I would think Spaeth could out jump and out muscle a 6' tall CB. But maybe I am missing something.

I can't recall Spaeth dropping passes or anything so who knows. Never know what happens in practice I guess. Overall though, to answer your question, Spaeth is a huge pass catching TE we dropped a 3rd round pick on. If we drafted another TE, would he be utilized more than Spaeth?

I could understand if people thought we needed another bruiser TE, but Spaeth is actually a good receiving TE. The Steelers just don't use him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar

I could understand if people thought we needed another bruiser TE, but Spaeth is actually a good receiving TE. The Steelers just don't use him.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar

I disagree. In those games he took over for Heath, I remember that he did okay against zone coverage, but had trouble getting open against man. He also looked like he was stuck in mud (which sometimes he was at Heinz field) after catching the ball.

Spaeth does catch the ball well. But, he has absolutely no run after the catch ability. He is not fast enough to get open down the seam. And, he is not as tough as I'd like. I think his blocking is sometimes good, sometimes terrible. I'd love to upgrade him with a TE that has better speed and run after the catch ability. Spaeth is a 3rd TE quality player imho.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

spaeth is probably as good as your going to get as a 2nd string te. i really like david johnson a lot. he is a great blocker and if the steelers are going to go with the 2 te set a lot i would rather see johnson in than spaeth. god i miss the days of having a fb.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    spaeth is probably as good as your going to get as a 2nd string te. i really like david johnson a lot. he is a great blocker and if the steelers are going to go with the 2 te set a lot i would rather see johnson in than spaeth. god i miss the days of having a fb.

This is a great TE draft. I am not advocating that we take a TE necessarily. But, if we are going to play a lot of 2 TE sets as we have in the past, we could consider upgrading the position IF a very good TE falls to us in the middle rounds to late rounds..
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think looking at a TE early in the draft is an option with the defensive questions on the team. Who knows who the Steelers will draft. They can be totally unpredictable.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd like a TE who can light up some blocks first and foremost. I have not seen Spaeth light up anybody as a blocker. I thought he could be a good RZ TE, but it has not proven out for whatever reason.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would love a late round run blocking TE. Real late... 7th round gem. However, I wouldn't mind a true deep threat TE.. That Keller kid for the Jets was impressive today. He could scoot.

We need D bad though this year.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"