Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: SHould We Draft a TE?

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: SHould We Draft a TE?

i disagree

both players stepped up with injuries to starters shocke and LJ smith where their organizations chose to keep them over their more expensive counterparts.

boss and celek both look very athletic and run pretty well. spaeth looks like a pregnant yak running in the open field.
    even in his game where he started , all his catches were the short gain variety

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER
    i disagree

both players stepped up with injuries to starters shocke and LJ smith where their organizations chose to keep them over their more expensive counterparts.

boss and celek both look very athletic and run pretty well. spaeth looks like a pregnant yak running in the open field.
    even in his game where he started , all his catches were the short gain variety
    I think this is silly to even consider. We have an elite TE in Miller whom they finally started to use productively this year. Spaeth will work out just fine if you throw him the damn ball. Especially near the goal line. Spaeth had 3 TDs the first 4 games he played as a Steeler. Did he suddenly lose his ability or did we just stop looking for him? I think I know the answer to that question.

If you think Spaeth looks like a pregnant yak when he runs then how do you describe Antonio Gates? Spaeth is plenty fast and athletic for what we need him to do ... which is go down field a little ways, squat, and use his big body to shield defenders and catch the ball.

I don't know any team that has 2 elite TEs. Miller is our guy and between Spaeth, McHugh and Johnson we have adequate depth. Our problem is more that BA AND Ben haven't figured out the most effective ways to use the talent we have. Not that we need to ADD more talent to the TE position.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

i'm not the one advocating drafting a TE high.

i agree that miller is near the top of 2 way TEs in the league and dont want to spend a high pick for a 2nd TE.
    i'm just suggesting some good TEs could be drafted later on.

as far as spaeth, i'll disagree with your opinion. i haven't seen any evidence in his years here to suggest he runs well. he might run well for someone 6-7 270lbs. but he doesn't run as well as the other TEs i mentioned

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    I think we're going to see a bit of a different running game next year. A true blocking TE may be drafted, but not until the 5th or 6th round.

Pappy
    This makes the most sense. With Santonio, Hines, Wallace and Heath, the Steelers have plenty of receiving options. Spaeth is fine as a possession receiver, but doesn't offer much as a blocker.

I think that Johnson and McHugh are both better fits for the offense than Spaeth in that both are better blockers, but if a big, block first TE is available later in the draft, I could see the Steelers taking him late if he is BPA.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

We finally utilized HEATH this year like we should. SPAETH is soft and needs to be pushed by a draft pick. Why not a big, nasty Run Blocker, we could use the help
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    We finally utilized HEATH this year like we should. SPAETH is soft and needs to be pushed by a draft pick. Why not a big, nasty Run Blocker, we could use the help

You mean like a Fullback?

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Spaeth has a tendency to be bashed a lot and I never quite understand the reason. When you have Heath Miller in front of you, no TE is going to get a lot of opportunities to catch the ball. I think Spaeth has above average receiving skills. He just doesn't get a lot of passes thrown his direction because of the other playmakers in PGH's offense. I haven't seen enough of him to say he cannot run after catch. Some people bashed Heath Miller when he showed up for being slow. But I think he can wheel and deal with the ball in his hands. Spaeth would have to get more chances with the ball to see what his playmaking abilities really are.

As far as him being "soft". I also do not agree to this. I think a tall player might a few leverage issues but I do not think he is soft. I see him as being somewhat tenacious.

The Steelers do not need to draft a TE at all. David Johnson is there and he can be your blocking TE, also.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85

If you think Spaeth looks like a pregnant yak when he runs then how do you describe Antonio Gates? Spaeth is plenty fast and athletic for what we need him to do ... which is go down field a little ways, squat, and use his big body to shield defenders and catch the ball.

Spaeth is NOT fast and doesn't move well in space. He is clumsy and awkward. Gates is light on his feet and still has decent quickness.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

We are in glaring need of help at:
    CB, FS, ILB, OL, DL, and ST positions

The way the Steelers use the second TE, we can fill the spot with Johnson or with a cheap FA (maybe even off the waiver wire). No way this team ought to be spending draft picks on any TEs this season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser
    We are in glaring need of help at:
    CB, FS, ILB, OL, DL, and ST positions

The way the Steelers use the second TE, we can fill the spot with Johnson or with a cheap FA (maybe even off the waiver wire). No way this team ought to be spending draft picks on any TEs this season.
    What are the glowing needs on OL. Starks and Kemo are signed long term. They likely want to keep Collon and they have Urbik, Foster, Essex and Stapleton to battle for RG. Would be nice to grab a Center, but Hartwig is signed for at least one more year and Stapleton has been tapped as the follow on.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"