Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS Earl Thomas declaring for draft

Pro Bowler

Re: FS Earl Thomas declaring for draft

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel
    The only real negatives to Thomas' game are the fact that he plays more physical than his frame will hold and it could shorten his NFL career and that he does at times play a little out of control and forgets his assignments.
    I do wonder what his real size is. He's listed at 197 but he definitely looks smaller on the field. Not sure if he's made for the AFCN.

I love his speed and willingness to stop the run. I just see him being injured a lot trying to stop the running games of AFCN...

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Jom112
    The only real negatives to Thomas' game are the fact that he plays more physical than his frame will hold and it could shorten his NFL career and that he does at times play a little out of control and forgets his assignments.
    I do wonder what his real size is. He's listed at 197 but he definitely looks smaller on the field. Not sure if he's made for the AFCN.

I love his speed and willingness to stop the run. I just see him being injured a lot trying to stop the running games of AFCN...
    Yeah, Troy often plays at less than 200 lbs. and that hasn't worked out well for him.

Bengals get the 21st pick. Seems like there will be nice talent available there as well. WR? TE? S? DL? You don't seem to have too many FAs nor needs this time.
    1 Mike Evans WR Texas A&M
    2 Stephen Tuitt DE Notre Dame
    3c Keith McGill CB Utah
    4 Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5 Jordan Zumwalt ILB UCLA
    5c Anton Exum S Va Tech
    6 Trey Millard FB/TE Oklahoma
    7 Cody Latimer WR Indiana
    7c DeAnthony Thomas RB Oregon

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood

Yeah, Troy often plays at less than 200 lbs. and that hasn't worked out well for him.

Bengals get the 21st pick. Seems like there will be nice talent available there as well. WR? TE? S? DL? You don't seem to have too many FAs nor needs this time.
    I bet Palmer will be pushing for Dez Bryant or Jermaine Gresham.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Pro Bowler

Our biggest needs are the toughest to fill. A big play WR, a good all around TE and someone that can rush the passer. Not sure how to fill of those holes with one draft.

If Jermaine Gresham is fully recovered and available at 21, he should be our pick.

Safety is not really a need in my eyes. We have Crocker and Ndukwe and from what I hear we're trying to sign Roy Williams again. Having Zimmer back makes that easier...

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    That's what I'm thinking as well. Although leave it to Mike Brown to sign someone like T.O. in the offseason...

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Our biggest needs are the toughest to fill. A big play WR, a good all around TE and someone that can rush the passer. Not sure how to fill of those holes with one draft.

If Jermaine Gresham is fully recovered and available at 21, he should be our pick.

Safety is not really a need in my eyes. We have Crocker and Ndukwe and from what I hear we're trying to sign Roy Williams again. Having Zimmer back makes that easier...

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    That's what I'm thinking as well. Although leave it to Mike Brown to sign someone like T.O. in the offseason...
    ...and trade for Michael Vick while he's at it.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    4.118 CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob
    I have to admit he would be very enticing should he be available at #18. I thought he had a pretty good game last night. I hear he is supposed to be a good ball hawking safety.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... index.html

If he performs well at the combine,...he (along with Berry and Haden) will be long gone by the time we get on the board at 18.
    Not necessarily true. Safeties tend to get picked later that CBs. Berry is the top Safety so he will go in the top 10. IMO there is a real possibility that Thomas will be available at #18. Question is whether a safety is enough of a impact player to take at #18 because this draft is very, very deep at the Safety position. The CBs in this draft are more likely to be rated as Round 2-3 players expect for Haden (overated IMO) and Robinson from FSU who is a late Round 1 pick.

Much like the OL the last two years, fans want to knee jerk and pick DB because the secondaray was bad this year. History shows the Steelers won't draft that way and will take a more comprehensive, long term look at what they feel they need.

Since it is highly unlikely that Parker returns it would not shock me if they looked at a RB like CJ Spiller who can run, catch and return. Percy Harvin had a huge impact for the Vikings and they are very similar players and I think Spiller is more durable. The reality is in the NFL today you need at least 3 very good RBs. We have a very good Mendy, a capable Moore but nothing beyond that. Spiller would also mean you don't use a roster spot for Logan.

I like Thomas, but my bet right now is we take DL or LB with the wildcard being RB.
    I don't want the Steelers to take a DB just for the sake of taking a DB. But if Thomas is as good as many seem to think that he is, a real coverage FS would be a great addition to the team.

In this draft, I think the Steelers first round pick should be the BPA at any of the following positions: NT, ILB, CB, FS, OL.

Somebody like CJ Spiller should be nice, but how are you going to get him touches? The offense already has 5 strong weapons, and distributing the ball to a 6th will be difficult. I understand that you need many backs to succeed in the NFL, but RB, especially a quicker, change of pace type pack, can be found later. Guys like Leon Washington, Tashard Choice, Bradshaw, etc. were all later picks. If Willie leaves, I have no problem with the Steelers adding a RB in the draft, but I think that doing so in the first round makes no sense at all.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Somebody like CJ Spiller should be nice, but how are you going to get him touches? The offense already has 5 strong weapons, and distributing the ball to a 6th will be difficult. I understand that you need many backs to succeed in the NFL, but RB, especially a quicker, change of pace type pack, can be found later. Guys like Leon Washington, Tashard Choice, Bradshaw, etc. were all later picks. If Willie leaves, I have no problem with the Steelers adding a RB in the draft, but I think that doing so in the first round makes no sense at all.
    I see what you're saying about finding a change of pace back later in the draft but I think CJ Spiller would be a good pick for any team in the league. Similar to how I liked Percy Harvin last year. I don't care what the needs are, players like Harvin and Spiller just know how to make an impact on the field.

They change field position and make things easier for everyone else on the team...

Earl Thomas will certainly be on our board. But, all the discussion in the world will be moot if Mt Cody is still there. He is the clear pick if available.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    Earl Thomas will certainly be on our board. But, all the discussion in the world will be moot if Mt Cody is still there. He is the clear pick if available.
    It's still early in the process, but some of what I've been reading has been saying that Cody will likely be a second round pick because of his conditioning issues.

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

Spiller will likely be one of those "If he's there, all bets are off" type guys.

He's simply too explosive to remove from the draft board, and it's not unheard of to have 2 first round RB's on the roster getting plenty of touches (Panthers for example).

Imagine how dangerous the Steelers would be with Mendenhall, Spiller, Ben, Ward, Holmes, Wallace & Miller on offense!
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00