Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FS Earl Thomas declaring for draft

FS Earl Thomas declaring for draft

I have to admit he would be very enticing should he be available at #18. I thought he had a pretty good game last night. I hear he is supposed to be a good ball hawking safety.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/ ... index.html
    Here comes the BOOM!

Re: FS Earl Thomas declaring for draft

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob
    I have to admit he would be very enticing should he be available at #18. I thought he had a pretty good game last night. I hear he is supposed to be a good ball hawking safety.

If he performs well at the combine,...he (along with Berry and Haden) will be long gone by the time we get on the board at 18.
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...lCzar76Sig.jpg

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCzar76

If he performs well at the combine,...he (along with Berry and Haden) will be long gone by the time we get on the board at 18.
    Not necessarily true. Safeties tend to get picked later that CBs. Berry is the top Safety so he will go in the top 10. IMO there is a real possibility that Thomas will be available at #18. Question is whether a safety is enough of a impact player to take at #18 because this draft is very, very deep at the Safety position. The CBs in this draft are more likely to be rated as Round 2-3 players expect for Haden (overated IMO) and Robinson from FSU who is a late Round 1 pick.

Much like the OL the last two years, fans want to knee jerk and pick DB because the secondaray was bad this year. History shows the Steelers won't draft that way and will take a more comprehensive, long term look at what they feel they need.

Since it is highly unlikely that Parker returns it would not shock me if they looked at a RB like CJ Spiller who can run, catch and return. Percy Harvin had a huge impact for the Vikings and they are very similar players and I think Spiller is more durable. The reality is in the NFL today you need at least 3 very good RBs. We have a very good Mendy, a capable Moore but nothing beyond that. Spiller would also mean you don't use a roster spot for Logan.

I like Thomas, but my bet right now is we take DL or LB with the wildcard being RB.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

2014 Draft

1. Eric Ebron, TE
    2. Calvin Pryor, S
    3 (Comp). Jaylen Watkins, CB
    4. Justin Ellis, DT/NT
    5a. Brandon Coleman, WR
    5b. Brent Urban, DE
    6. Prince Shembo, OLB
    7a. Aaron Colvin, CB
    7b. Storm Johnson, RB

Even if the Steelers wouldn't draft him or he would be gone by 1.18 it potentially pushes another player down and that player may be one that the Steelers really like. It's never a bad thing when players enter the draft and are slotted to be selected before your team selects. It makes available a player that may not have been prior to the new player's entry into the draft.

Pappy

1.15) Ra'Shede Hageman - DE
    2.47) Jason Verrett - CB
    3.97) CJ Fiedorowicz - TE
    4.114) Brandon Coleman - WR
    5.145) Lamin Barrow - ILB
    5.173) Terrance Mitchell - CB
    6.176)
    7.207) Jay Bromley - DT
    7.215)

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Thats great news.

Lets see how he performs at the combine.

Earl Thomas could very well be the BPA at #18. I hope Steelers target Earl Thomas or Ro McClain.

Scouting Report:
    http://www.draftboardinsider.com/cgi-bi ... gi?id=1089

Scouting Report: Thomas has a solid build, lean with a small waist and long limbs. He plays a FS at Texas but is asked to do a little of everything. And trust me, he does it all. Only a redshirt sophomore but his coverage skills are very good. He has great anticipation and does an excellent job of reading and diagnosing the making the big play on the ball. He's one of the most physical safetys in the draft, and has no qualms about sacrificing his body for a play. Some think that he's better suited to play a very physical CB in the NFL, to maximize his coverage skills, and try and keep his body in tact. The only real negatives to Thomas' game are the fact that he plays more physical than his frame will hold and it could shorten his NFL career and that he does at times play a little out of control and forgets his assignments.

Draft Status: Thomas is only a redshirt sophomore, but if the Longhorns win a national title, there's a real chance he makes the jump to the NFL. If he did, he'd be no worse than the 2nd safety off the board and probably the 3rd defensive back which means he's probably a top 15 pick. For a player so young, but so talented all that can happen at this point is to have his game get picked apart and hurt his stock. He's not going to get any bigger or any faster or any stronger, and his skills set is what it is.

Final Analysis: Love, love love what Thomas brings to the table. He reminds me a ton of Joe Haden only playing safety. He's got good size for CB, a little undersized for a safety as physical as he is. But he's got great strength both in coverage and in run support, he runs very well, is a great leaper, and has soft hands. He can blitz when asked to, and literally anchors the back 4 of the Longhorn defense. No matter what happens for the Longhorns this year, Thomas would be foolish to return to school when his stock really can't get much higher.

Reminds me of: Troy Polamalu, S Pittsburgh Steelers-Both a little undersized, super aggressive, and able to do anything on the football field. Thomas can certainly grow into the kind of impact player Polamalu is, given the right scheme and coaching. All the physical tools are there.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

Legend
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia

If Thomas is there at #18, he'll have to be considered...
    Schiavone's Race Career:

Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

Prizemoney- $28,050.00

Hall of Famer

One thing to consider; beyond QB the Browns are looking to draft the same pieces we are missing and they will be picking more than 10 spots in front of us. They need help at CB, safety, LB, and DL. Just sayin, their list will look a lot like ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

Not necessarily true. Safeties tend to get picked later that CBs. Berry is the top Safety so he will go in the top 10. IMO there is a real possibility that Thomas will be available at #18. Question is whether a safety is enough of a impact player to take at #18 because this draft is very, very deep at the Safety position. The CBs in this draft are more likely to be rated as Round 2-3 players expect for Haden (overated IMO) and Robinson from FSU who is a late Round 1 pick.

Much like the OL the last two years, fans want to knee jerk and pick DB because the secondaray was bad this year. History shows the Steelers won't draft that way and will take a more comprehensive, long term look at what they feel they need.

Since it is highly unlikely that Parker returns it would not shock me if they looked at a RB like CJ Spiller who can run, catch and return. Percy Harvin had a huge impact for the Vikings and they are very similar players and I think Spiller is more durable. The reality is in the NFL today you need at least 3 very good RBs. We have a very good Mendy, a capable Moore but nothing beyond that. Spiller would also mean you don't use a roster spot for Logan.

I like Thomas, but my bet right now is we take DL or LB with the wildcard being RB.
    I gotta say O that i believe that due to the nature of the league now, (considerably pass happy) elite DB's have become a highly coveted commodity. Safeties are included IMO,.. when one takes into consideration the game changing impact that a special player can make at the position. (ie Troy, Ed Reed, Sharper, Woodson )

Henceforth,...i believe there will be a run on the better DB's this year both Safeties and Corners alike. And even though Taylor is my dude, (fight on) i have to say that in all honesty Thomas has more impressive ball skills and in my opinion is rated #2 behind Berry. And therefore will be gone before we get on the board.

As far as help in the secondary being considered a "knee jerk" reaction,.....are you saying that you consider this roster to be especially solid in the secondary with the likes of Corners like Gay, and your boy Burnett (whom was projected as a starting Corner at league level by almost no scout in the nation) and fringe players like Lewis and Mundy ?! Really ?,......

But i digress,...because in all fairness you are probably right about the fact that we may indeed reach for some vastly overrated and not overly productive 4-3 D lineman, Linebacker or,.... another "scatback" RB. Especially in light of what Tomlin considers quality personnel and how our last three Drafts have gone.,,,,,,

"We’ll have a mix-and-match concept that hopefully will see us through.” ~Tomlin

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast
    One thing to consider; beyond QB the Browns are looking to draft the same pieces we are missing and they will be picking more than 10 spots in front of us. They need help at CB, safety, LB, and DL. Just sayin, their list will look a lot like ours.

I think the Browns take Mclain with Berry off of the board,....

Hall of Famer

thats like the 20th player i've seen someone say wont be there when the steelers pick at #18

WTF?