Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kunitz out 4-6 weeks

Pittsburgh

Kunitz out 4-6 weeks

Now is the time that I would bring up Caputi, put him on one of the top two lines and see what he brings to the table...

Penguins' Kunitz to have surgery, will miss 4-6 weeks
    Tuesday, January 05, 2010
    By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins left winger Chris Kunitz will undergo surgery to repair a torn abdominal muscle tomorrow in Philadelphia, and is expected to be out four to six weeks.

Dr. William C. Meyers will perform the surgery.

Kunitz, 30, has six goals and 14 assists in 30 games.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10005/10 ... z0bl61IDL3

Re: Kunitz out 4-6 weeks

I've heard nothing but good things about Caputi, but haven't really seen any of his work.

Ruthless, what's your scouting report?

Could this be a "blessing in disguise?"

Pittsburgh

I'm excited to see the kid back up here. He was up here briefly for five games last season and scored a goal in his first game and on his first shift. His bread and butter is playing around the net, something our forwards do not do nearly enough. I would love to see him on the power play for that reason alone. I can't count how many times we shoot the puck from the point, only to see four defenders gain control of the rebound and clear the zone.

Eitherway, having Caputi up here can't be any worse than having to watch Kunitz, Fedotenko, Kennedy, Talbot and Dupuis fail time after time to contribute while playing on one of the top two lines, which brings me to my next point. If the Penguins are going to start calling up these younger kids, play them on the top two lines. Don't bring them up and throw them on a fourth line with zero offensive talent. They have been guilty of doing this in the past on a number of occasions. If you are going to bring up what you consider your top prospects, play them with your top talent.

IMO, throw Caputi on a line with Malkin and keep him there.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

I haven't seen too many games in Wilkes-Barre this season, but Caputi is leading the team in goals (and power play goals), and it is goals that we are lacking in Pittsburgh right now. However, he only has 12 assists to go along with his 13 goals, and he is a minus-4 on the season.

By contrast, the two guys ahead of him in points, Dustin Jeffrey (10 goals and 28 assists) and Mark Letestu (11 goals and 20 assists) each have a plus-12 rating this year. But Caputi does have a NHL-ready body (6'3" 200 lbs). The only forward we have that is physically more imposing is the guy that came with Kunitz in the Whitney trade, Eric Tangradi (6'4" 225 lbs), but he is not ready for prime time just yet. I think both Caputi and Tangradi can be power forwards in Pittsburgh in time.

Caputi will be on Malkin's wing tonight, by the way. I picked him in the Extra Attacker game tonight in the hopes that he can duplicate his first game, first shift, first shot goal when he was brought up last season.

Pittsburgh

And last night is the reason why I'm excited to see the kid back up here and getting a chance to play with legitimate talent. He scored a goal, drew a penalty, showed good positioning, made smart decisions with the puck that did not hurt the team and had no problem throwing the body around. It was also nice to see Bylsma work him in on the PP later on in the game.

Don't change a thing with him. Keep him on Malkin's line and put him in front of the net on the first PP unit.

"LUUUUUUUUU!!!"

Impressive showing last night by Caputi.

What was even more impressive were the breasts on the women sitting directly behind
    both head coaches. I was hoping for more close-ups, but it just wasn't my day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts

What was even more impressive were the breasts on the women sitting directly behind
    I guess I wasn't paying much attention when they showed Bylsma, but that white sweater behind John Anderson was difficult to miss.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

I guess I wasn't paying much attention when they showed Bylsma, but that white sweater behind John Anderson was difficult to miss.

The Bylsma set was first, followed up by the Anderson set not to long after. Of course,
    I made a point to mention them to my wife, since she spent half the game drooling over
    her new favorite player, Luca Caputi.

Pittsburgh

Penguins' Caputi impresses in season debut
    Thursday, January 07, 2010
    By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

You probably know about Luca Caputi's goal.

It was the one that gave the Penguins a 4-2 lead -- and some desperately needed breathing room -- in their 5-2 victory against Atlanta Tuesday night.

The one that was rooted in a marvelous effort by Evgeni Malkin.

That one that purged any lingering tension Caputi was feeling about playing in the NHL for the first time this season.

But as important as that goal was to both Caputi and his team, it hardly was the only thing about his game that made a favorable impression on his bosses.

Coach Dan Bylsma said yesterday he liked Caputi's puck management and his work along the boards in the defensive zone. He also pointed out that Caputi tied for the team lead with four hits, which Bylsma called "a good way to set the tone for playing the right way," and drew a penalty.

Much of what Caputi did is not the kind of stuff that gets a guy into the highlights but does tend to be noticed by the people who put together line combinations and hand out ice time.

Which is why Caputi, who played on a line with Malkin and Ruslan Fedotenko against the Thrashers, can expect to get some more work there when the Penguins face Philadelphia at 7:38 tonight at Mellon Arena.

That could change if the unspecified injury that kept Fedotenko from practicing yesterday prevents him from playing tonight, but Bylsma said he anticipates starting the game with that line intact, even though Mike Rupp might get some work there in the game.

Caputi logged 14 minutes, 14 seconds of playing time against Atlanta, which might have been more than Bylsma anticipated using him.

"He was reliable," Bylsma said. "He earned more ice time because of that."

Caputi got most of that work in a top-six role, which could be a daunting assignment for a 21-year-old with just five previous NHL games on his resume.

But assistant coach Tony Granato, who works with the forwards, believes Caputi's age is a non-issue.

"Your age doesn't matter if you deserve an opportunity," Granato said. "The way the game is played, you need young legs and energy, and this is a guy our organization thinks very highly of. He's going to get an opportunity to do something."

Caputi scored into a basically open net after Malkin followed up a spectacular rush by keeping the puck in play while lying on his stomach.

While the goal won't go down as the most memorable of Caputi's career, it did underscore his knack for getting into scoring positions.

Caputi has to get to those areas if he's going to be effective and productive at this level. He operates in the high-traffic areas of the offensive end, hanging around the net and doing the dirty work that makes so many goals possible.

"He's not the prettiest guy out there," general manager Ray Shero said. "He's good in traffic. He's good down low. He's good around the net. He goes to the net. He does all those things and makes smart little plays."

Caputi did that often enough with the Penguins' minor league team in Wilkes-Barre that he scored 13 goals before being promoted. That success, coupled with his five-game stint here last season, made Tuesday's game a bit less stressful than his first trip to the NHL had been.

"I don't think I was as nervous [as last year]," he said. "But the first couple of shifts, it took me a while to get settled in and get to my game."

Caputi is getting this opportunity because Chris Kunitz needed surgery to repair a torn stomach muscle, but that doesn't mean he's headed back to the Baby Penguins when Kunitz returns. If Caputi consistently plays the way he did in the Atlanta game, he could claim a permanent place on the NHL depth chart.

"You like to see young guys come in and add something," Granato said. "And [Tuesday] night, he added something."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10007/10 ... z0buSjgQJB

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

The Bylsma set was first, followed up by the Anderson set not to long after. Of course,
    I made a point to mention them to my wife, since she spent half the game drooling over
    her new favorite player, Luca Caputi.
    Caputi's breasts aren't all that impressive.